J Sterling Morton West High School

Public | 9-12

Posted October 25, 2010

The honors/AP classes are good. My daughter loves the theater dept and teacher, Ms D!!!!

Posted October 25, 2010

Great teachers. It is also my Alma Mater, Class of 1972.

Posted October 25, 2010

I love J.S. Morton Sterling West High School because there is a zero tolerance policy, kids are at school to get their education and get college geared. I also love the uniform policy.

Posted October 25, 2010

ALL schools are what you and your child make of it!!

Posted October 25, 2010

Great school for preparing young people for higher education. I especially like the vocational technical aspect which is extremely beneficial for kids desiring to go directly into the work force after graduation.

Posted October 25, 2010

I love Morton high because it has a lot of spirit and has made my daughter a better student.

Posted October 24, 2010

I give it a 5 star. The school has plenty of extracurricular activities for its students to keep them motivated

Posted October 24, 2010

My kids go there and as long as the student had the best teachers there and my kids were involved in many after school activities.

Posted October 23, 2010

My oldest son graduated from Morton West an this year my youngest son will graduate from Morton West.

Posted September 24, 2010

I have attended the PTO meetings at Morton West. Over three thousand students attend this school, but only three or four parents make the effort to support the school through participation. There are more teachers at these meetings than parents! The teachers work hard, many of the students want to learn, but where are the parents? What makes charter and private schools work is parental involvement. Why have so many parents given up on their children, then blame the school when the student goes astray? It's time the parents did more than simply complain.

Posted May 11, 2010

Morton is a terrible school. i went there freshmen year, then transfered to LTHS, It was great at LT, my senior year i transfered back to morton and it was a nightmare. worse than it was my freshmen year. they treat students like middle school kids. the uniform is there number one priority. they care more about unforms than they do the grades and whats important. the deans are rude, the secuirty is rude. there are some teachers that a nice. asome that dont care. and some that are angry at the world. morton needs a tune up.

Posted May 4, 2010

In the begining when my son was a freshman he was so excitement to be into all the sports. After the second year his excitment went down the drain. The guidance at this school is a joke!!! I am ashamed to tell people what school my son attends because there is nothing good to say about it!!! If I could afford to send him to a private school I would... I pay too much for taxes on my home that leaves no extra for a private school. I will not give up on my child because his school district has.

Posted April 29, 2010

The school is a joke . They focus way more on enforcing dress code and rules rather than actual education . Test scores are ridiculous . And the school is now drilling into the ground with the new budget cuts beginning next year . Would much rather attend a school that actually makes me want to learn and get my education rather then one full of teachers that put shame on you for grades and test scores (does not even apply to all students) . Ummm try a little bit more involvement and encouragement !

Posted March 24, 2010

Morton West needs to concentrate more on studies and less on so-called discipline. With reading, science and math scores so low, Morton teachers and administrators should be ashamed.

Posted November 18, 2009

I have three children attending. The teachers are wonderful and the curriculum is improving. My children enjoy going to school. That's what is important. I do wish there was more parent involvement

Posted January 18, 2009

I graduated from this school years before my children started attending, and I am so happy that the curriculum has improved. The teachers are very involved with the students, and have been very helpful to us parents in keeping us informed of our kids' progress.

Posted January 13, 2009

this is a good school i love it you learn a lot never wanted to leave. great curriculum good teachers i love it

Posted January 12, 2009

This school needs some tidying-up seriously. If the teachers were much more encouraging to each student they would not have any problems with test scores or grades. The teachers are suppoed to set the example so do it!!

Posted September 16, 2008

I loved Morton! not only was I a great athlete there and a student but I went off to play college sports and recieved amazing amounts of educational scholarships all thanks to my hard work and the help and passion of the teachers there. i loved the school so much I'm comming back to be a part of the staff!! Go Mustangs!!

Posted May 24, 2008

As a former student, I believe that high school is what you make of it. If you go to school and get your work done, you will get a quality education. I graduated with a 4.2 GPA and I now attend DePaul University. I did very well for myself and I have the awesome teachers at Morton to thank. Students just need to shape up and stop acting like little babies. Morton is NOT a bad school! They wouldnt have to enforce rules if the students just followed the dress code. Teachers REALLY care here! Morton is very underrated!

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Illinois used the Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE) to test students in grade 11 in reading, math and science. The PSAE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Illinois. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

Students with disabilities (IEP)6%
Students without disabilities29%
English language learners0%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Illinois State Board of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Illinois State Board of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

68.4%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISAT results from the state of Illinois.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

• Mr. Joe Gunty

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2400 Home Avenue