J Sterling Morton West High School 2

Posted February 09, 2014
This school has its good aspects, but I'm sorry to say that they are outweighed by negative ones. The educators themselves do care. All throughout high school, with few exceptions, I have had the privilege of having the most caring and involved teachers. With that said, the rest of the school's greatness is debatable. I would like to bring several details to attention. 1. Hoodie Cart - basically a shopping cart that the security pushes around during lunch periods, filled with students' confiscated jackets. Not only did it spread lice to several students in the past, but it looks completely ghetto. 2. Tardy Table - when students are late to school, they are forced to wait in line with other late students to get marked late, rather than their first period teacher marking them late. Once, I walked in to school at 8:01 and didn't get to class until 8:51 because of this line. 3. Security - oh, security. How they eloquently enforce the dress code policy. It is wonderful to hear "GET YOUR HAT OFF, NOW !" screamed at me upon entering the building in the winter time, as if it represented some gang affiliation with its fuzzy pinkness.

Posted December 04, 2013
To the student who doesn't like the grading system... you are not understanding it. If you get a grade that you don't like, redo the test or quiz. That is the only difference. You can retake the quiz or test and aim for the grade that you like. Talk to your teachers. They are there to help you. Morton has greatly improved and I think people need to stop putting it down and stop giving it a bad reputation. Just because things don't go your own way, doesn't make it a bad school. High school is what you make of it. I have two boys at this school and they have been doing great. The help is there. It won't come to you. Be proactive and seek the help you need. If you really want to succeed, you can do it at Morton West.

Posted December 02, 2013
The new grading system is terrible I literally want to cry every time I see my grades. I've never had a C before and now I have two and the rest Bs. I literally pray that my mom will let me do online schooling because I hate failure and that's what the new grading system has set me up for. I have always disliked school but now I dread it. I have been absent more this semester than the whole year last year. I used to think morton was a great school that actually cared about our grades. But, I just came to the realization that all that this school cares about is getting donations and they use them for their own benefits obviously since we can't even get a air conditioning system.Lastly I want everyone to know that the only reason the grading system changed was to make it harder to fail but also harder to raise your grade. So all the kids who don't care are getting by while all the kids who do care are struggling with their grades. All this just to make the school look good and get donations. Most comments say the students are the bad ones but honestly I have never had anything bad happen between me and a student . The only bad ones here are the school setting us up for failure.

Posted October 17, 2013
One word to describe this institution. Awful. I went to Morton East High school and while that high school has enough problems to write an essay, the quality in the learning environment was a lot cleaner. If you want a high school that will prepare you to go into the LA program when you go to college then go ahead and enroll your kid here but if you plan to achieve higher and get into STEM courses and succeed then pass on these two high schools unless you're willing to take the risk. When my high school didn't even have an AP physics course that covered the basic fundamentals (classical mechanics) I knew I was going to be missing something but when I went to college passing those courses was nearly impossible unless I received extensive support from other students that were prepared for them. Thing is, many courses in STEM will become increasingly abstract as you progress through the curriculum and if you don't have a solid foundation in the maths then you will find it difficult to succeed in them. Believe me when I say this as I speak from experience and went as far as achieving honor roll status in my high school believing I was good enough. Boy was I wrong.

Posted August 16, 2013
Morton provides a great learning environment for the students. My daughters both have nothing but honors classes and their teachers are amazing. The "honor staff" of teachers meet weekly to discuss these children, bouncing ideas off each other and correlate their curriculum to give their students maximum advantage. It's almost a school within a school. It's some of the parents of the community that have not made their children's education a main priority and that creates a domino affect in school. The teachers can only do so much, the parents are ultimately responsible here.

Posted August 13, 2013
I think the rating is inaccurate.. My nephews are in this school and they both enjoy it. They are dedicated smart and respectful so I also firmly believe that it's the children the parents with teachers shape education.... You get what you want and ask of out of life but not all children have great role models and that reflects in their social life.

Posted August 05, 2013
I don't understand why people say Morton is a terrible school. It's not. I love it there. They have amazing extracurricular activities, and I feel like the principal/most staff really care about the students. Our assemblies are always fun, and honor students always get the praise we deserve. (such as Summa Cum Laude awards/Top 10 from each team awards). Schools are always what you and your child make of it. Stop blaming the school and maybe concentrate on your child's schoolwork/behavior? There are fights here, yes, but to be honest that's not the school's fault. It's the students who believe that highschool is a place for useless drama. Regarding budget cuts: Maybe Morton should try not spending $15K on iPads and maybe put in more classes to give us the education we deserve? Nobody like Achieve 3000, we don't take it seriously no matter how much you think we do. That is the only negative thing I have to say. Other than that, I love Morton West. I get good grades there and I'm looking into getting scholarships early on. Which they encourage you to do as early as freshman year! This place is my second home...once a mustang, always a mustang.

Posted August 01, 2013
My personal experience has been good. Good students can exceed at Morton. They have the best staff and administration...Mr Gunty is an excellent leader.

Posted July 01, 2013
This school is by far one of the worst i have been to very disrespectful students and scary there are fights all the time and there are a lot of lock downs cause there are threats to the school in may there was probably five fire alarm set offs in that one month!!!! otherwise the teachers really are good but i will NEVER send my children there i never really felt safe... Besides the teachers this is by FAR the WORST school i have ever been to

J Sterling Morton West High School 5

Posted March 16, 2012
At morton its a well.. great school and great teachers! There are many school programs for students.

J Sterling Morton West High School
2400 Home Avenue, Berwyn, IL  60402
Last modified J Sterling Morton West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
J Sterling Morton West High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 97 reviews.