Posted May 20, 2014
Simply said this is a amazing school. Mr. Z is a great principal and there is a high level of parent involvement. The only downside is space or lack thereof which will be rectified when the addition is completed in Sept 2014.

Posted January 23, 2014
So pleased we bought a home in this neighborhood!!! Coonley has an amazing community filled with parents who are very involved and kids who want to learn. We are very lucky to have Mr. Z [rincipal] and Mr. Laslo [vice principal] as part of Coonley - they work so diligently to create an excellent learning environment. It was hard to obtain a house in the area, because it is so sought after, but it was well worth the wait.

Coonley Elementary School 1

Posted September 11, 2013
Don't believe the hype! Coonley has a lot of resources the neighborhood has become very affluent so it lacks diversity The teachers are excellent. But the community is not supportive or friendly.I was in a meeting with teacher,principle, and parents,the main concern was that the special needs kids and that they these kids were ruining their child's educucation?No acknowledgement of the contribution these kids made or empathy and acceptance learned. I will not include the derogatory adjectives.The principle said nothing to even convince these parents of the value of diversity, instead he listened and went along with their biggotry.I witnessed a parents berating poor kids because they needed breakfast.The venom directed at any type of program for needy children was alarming.The bullying is appalling no violence, children ganging up to make sure no one will talk to him today!No bruises but the psychological wounds last a lifetime.Coonley has a lot of bells and whistles but are material things like Interactive whiteboards in every classroom necessary?Emotional support acceptance and fairness are not. It is unfortunate.I guess ownership and pride are synonymous with exclusion.

Coonley Elementary School 2

Posted January 19, 2013
Most of the teachers at Coonley are good educators. I am concerned about the leadership at Coonley. The principal runs it more like a business than what is best for the children. There is a strong emphasis on having more money. Which is great but I think having more money and using it wisely is more important. For example don't get rid of perfectly good computers and waste more money on new ipads, (10,000+) just incorporate the existing computers in classrooms and put them to better use when educating the students, especially when you need to raise something like 13million dollars to expand the school. This is a school with options kids, neighborhood kids and special needs kids. However, there is a lot of coddling with the options students. It's great they are so smart, but remember there is a neighborhood program and a special needs program and I would think for a school so diverse they would split up the attention fairly and equally. If you go visit this school ask a lot of questions about your child's best interests make sure you get a honest answer, not a politically correct one. Stay out of the parent involvement if you don't want drama.

Posted September 25, 2012
I am a student at Coonley Elementary. I've been there since first grade and now I'm in eighth grade graduating. Throughtout the time I've been at Coonley I think its an excellent school. We dont have fights or any kind of violence/bullying. Many students are very friendly. Teachers make themselves avalible for students if any student needs help. We d not work ALL the time. Teachers try to make things fun & we have projects. We have many afte school programs and Coonley really tries to prep students for high school.

Posted September 25, 2012
I used to go to another school but I left there because the teachers and students were always harsh and stuck-up. This is my 5th year at Coonley and my last. All of the staff is very helpful and nice. They really care about what you think and your feelings.

Coonley Elementary School 2

Posted June 09, 2012
I am a student and I think this school is okay. But with the bullying going on the principal and vice principal always look the other way instead of finding ways to solve the discipline issues. People in the classes don't respect the teachers and other students. We are always taking tests instead of learning things that really matter. I think with the way this school is, it makes me frustrated - I don't feel like I am learning enough. I feel like all we do is take tests and I never remember all the information they throw at us. And the gifted kids judge the neighborhood kids - it is very frustrating and sad to see and hear this.

Posted May 30, 2012
What a great school where teachers and parents come together to improve the education our kids will receive. From the moment you walk into Coonley you can feel the energy that drives the kids, to excel at levels above standards. The principal has a knack for including, he is welcoming with strong goals towards challenging our children. I am very happy to be able to say that my child attend's Coonley.

Posted February 23, 2012
We are in our second year at Coonley and I have to say, I am thrilled with the education our son is getting. The teachers are excellent, creative, and passionate about their work and committed to the students. I absolutely love the principal. Earlier this year, my son was having some separation anxiety, and Mr. Z not only noticed, but took the time to talk to him and help him to feel better. My son loves him. He knows every student's name, and cares what the parents think. He is fantastic. I feel incredibly lucky to be part of this school!

Posted February 23, 2012
my daughter is in the 1st grade options program at coonley and we a re very happy. coonley is a great community of parents and teachere led by Mr. Z. I cannot comment specifically on how Z interacts with the teachers, but he is on the playground every morning and knows the kids by name and seems to have a genuine concern for all the kids. I have seen Mr. Z sit in on a class for a while and he was sat right next to the students and engaged with them, and they were not at all afraid. We love Coonley and so does our daughter.

Coonley Elementary School
4046 North Leavitt Street, Chicago, IL  60618
Last modified Coonley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Coonley Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews.