Chicago, IL

Hernandez Middle School 5

Posted May 26, 2015
I don't know about the other comments but based on my own experience this school is great. The campus and the infrastructure is one of the best in CPS. New building, new equipment for student use. The school has great academics, athletics, clubs and extra curriculum activities. Is not a bad neighborhood either. The comment before me makes it sound like this is a school in high crime area and is not. This area from the most part is calm and safe compared to other Latino neighborhoods. If you go east then yes, it gets a little bad there but from the school campus going west is pretty safe. If your kid is not doing good academically then is also the responsibility of the parents to make sure their kids do their homework and help their kids with homework assignments and school projects. Also make sure they study for their quizzes and tests. All the blame cant fall to the teachers, we as parents have responsibilities for our kids education as well. I don't have contact with the principal but I know he tries to make the parents more involved with the school by inviting them to meetings and extra curriculum activities. I believe Hernandez is the best school in the area and I feel confident my kids are getting a good education in a safe school.

Hernandez Middle School 2

Posted October 26, 2014
Academically this school is continuously getting worse. Poor principal leadership and poor teaching should to be blamed. Everybody (both teachers and students) in classrooms turn their cell phones off and put them in their bags and focus on teaching and learning. So disappointing.

Hernandez Middle School 3

Posted April 13, 2014
I read the comments below, and I question if they're parents or teachers. I am a parent of a 7th grade student. My daughter is above average in her grades and test scores. What has to be understood about this school is that students are grouped in pods according to their grades and their behavior. The discipline of the students should be blamed on the parents, not the teachers. If a child cannot behave in school, something is wrong at home. It is not the teachers responsibility to discipline and teach these kids how to act. That's our responsibility as parents. I have regular contact with my child's teachers. Any issues are handled directly between me and the teacher, so I have never had to have contact with the principal. This school is a good school given the neighborhood it is located in.

Hernandez Middle School 1

Posted August 14, 2013
Poor principal leadership. You never see the principal around. Students are out of control and teachers are not able to handle them. They opened this school with great hopes yet it is a big disappointment.. Just waste of taxpayers' money.

Hernandez Middle School
3510 West 55th Street, Chicago, IL  60632
Last modified Hernandez Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hernandez Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top