Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some teachers are less effective than others, but the problem is when students consider the teacher a "EASY A" and complaints are brought to the principal and the only thing that is done about it to give the teacher a promotion or when the students feel that the teachers don't care. Based on conversations with prior students and parents it's very hard for some students to attend institutions of higher learning; they're struggling because they were not properly prepared in high school and the material taught is irrelevant in college. There should be mandated training and workshops for all teachers. In addition, this school should partner with City Colleges or other institutions of higher learning and incorporate some of these teaching into the classrooms to help make students more prepared. Again, Students are not prepared.

Amount of homework: no rating

I can only speak for my child and as times the work load gets heavy, but there are other times when it's not. My only hope is that the homework is relevant to the success of the student in higher ed.

Develops character: Disagree

How can they develop something in which they know nothing about? The school Administration is still learning!

I am a parent of a Senior. The school is highly unorganized, everything from the top Administrator to the bottom. The principal is new and learning on the job, the two AP's are new as well and learning on the job. The front office staff can be unfriendly and unprofessional at times which makes it hard for parent to interact with them. Parent have no voice and not included in the decision making process. This school has no dedication to it's sports programs and finding coaches is always a problem. All students are not represented equally and fairly; pertaining to the activities that take place within the school. The LSC is a rubberstamp for the principal and don't do what's in the best interest of the students; everything is personal! The last school year the school has not been as clean as it should have been with the cuts in staff; at one time the school didn't even have garbage bags. The bright spot is the new building which has amenities that other schools don't offer. I can truly say I am so glad this is my final year!

My son is a freshman at Westinghouse. He has made great friends at this schools, through freshman connection (free no charge, unlike many other schools) and through different sports and clubs. The teachers are smart and hold high standards for their students. They are also very attentive to their students needs. The teachers are easy to communicate with as I've had open communication with all his teachers through email and phone calls. The school has an evening early in the school year when parent go through their kids schedule. I was surprise how well the teachers already knew my son. This school has a small school environment. This was not our first choice selective enrollment school as we live in the far far northwest side of Chicago but we decided to give it a chance and I'm really glad we did. My son either takes the Metra back home or the blue line. When he stays after school for practice or a club I'll pick him up. I've had to run late a few time as late as 7:30pm and noticed that there were still many students in the building, meeting with coaches, teachers or working on projects.

My daughter is a sophomore at GWCP and we are extremely happy with the school. The teachers and administrators really give their all to help each child achieve academic success. Teachers are available after school and my child feels welcome to see them anytime she wants extra help. They also have a really neat medical program that is often invited to Northwestern Memorial for interesting field trips. While it is not in the greatest neighborhood my daughter feels comfortable walking to the Chicago bus with a friend and we have never had any problems. My daughter is white, which does make her a minority at this school. She has a very large diverse group of friends and participates in sports and extra-curricular activities. We have found the student body to be motivated academically, kind, friendly, helpfull and respectfull.

My child is a sophomore at GWCP. This school was not her first choice when she was applying for Selective Enrollment schools. It is far from our house and in a not-so-great neighborhood. BUT it has turned out to be a fantastic opportunity for her. The teachers have really taken the time to get to know her, to push her and move her into higher level classes when appropriate. She has excelled academically at GWCP. While that is great, the school is still new and working on developing strong parent involvement and extra curricular activities. These things take time and they are on the right track. I highly recommend Westinghouse College Prep.

I knew nothing about this school to begin with, except that it was in a bad neighborhood. I can now say it is a very good academic school. I also very happy with the students there, I pick my child everyday and I noticed all the students are very respectful. I highly recommend this school for others.

My experience with GWCP has been awesome. This is a great school in the heart of the westside of Chicago. My son has attended all 4 years and is about to graduate. The principal, teachers and staff care about the students tremendously.

Great School & Teachers!!!! Good CLEAN state of the art school. If you're looking for a academic excellence, you're found the school. I'm proud to say my son attends GWCP. The teachers are second to none. They really care about the students and push them to achieve higher goals. The principal is awesome, she loves to interact with the parents and students. I have no complaints.

Last modified Westinghouse High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.