Posted April 02, 2014
Whitney Young High School is the premier high school in the city of Chicago. What makes WYHS unique? The STUDENTS! With over 2100 students from every neighborhood and every nationality in Chicago, WYHS provides an exceptional high school experience for each and everyone of its students. Whether you're a genius or average but a hard worker, an artist or a dancer, an athlete or a writer, WYHS will inspire, engage and help each student meet their potential. Do you have to work? YES! Are some nights filled with 4-6 hours of homework? YES! Will teachers challenge you to think differently? YES! But it's done in a loving and supportive way. Parents are asked to read novels and come in for discussions with students and teachers. Parents are asked to volunteer and they DO! Dr. Joyce Kenner treats each student as her own child, because that is what she and her staff feel they are. Whether you come from an economically challenged home, or your household earns 6 figures, it doesn't matter. Every child/parent is welcomed and encouraged to be involved. WYHS is an outstanding experience for any young person. With over 50+ clubs an organization, each child finds their voice

Posted September 26, 2013
My son has been a student here since 7th grade. What an amazing experience it has been for all of us. We have watched him grow, mature and just do great things at this school. He is now a Senior and the time has flown by so quickly, I can't thank the teachers and staff enough for all they have done for my son.

Posted May 05, 2013
Whitney Young is the perfect high school for me. As an athlete with high expectations of academic rigor, Whitney meets my standards in multiple categories. I get to work alongside some of the smartest high school students in the nation, as well as be a member of a city championship winning track and field team. The diversity at Whitney Young exposed me to a whole other part of the city I grew up in. I couldn't be happier with my high school experience.

Young Magnet High School 3

Posted April 04, 2013
building needs a major facelift.it's out of date for a high school of it's caliber.the student crowd is 50% low to 50% middle/upper income.the behavior is so so.don't let this being a magnet school fool you!whitney young is no walk in the park if you're a sub.the administration babies these kids letting them have their own way because they are smart and advanced.

Posted February 26, 2013
We are very happy that our daughter will be attending Whitney Young next year. We have only heard great things about the school, teachers and kids!

Posted February 06, 2011
I attended Whitney Young, graduating in 1992. Sounds like WY has stayed one of the best in the city. I appreciate WY more now, as an alum, than I ever did as a student. It gave me exposure to diversity, to global issues, and to many different viewpoints. I had very liberal teachers, very traditional teachers, and many who were in-between. All of them cared, even if they didn't always show it (like the gym teachers.) On the down side, WY is a big school and unless you seek out opportunities, they don't always find you. My teachers didn't encourage me to make friends or grow socially through clubs or sports. Travel time and having to depend on the CTA Ashland bus was very difficult for me. I had to use my own resources to fight off some bullies freshman year, and to find a group of friends I felt comfortable with. If I was to give suggestions for WY to improve, I would ask the teachers and hall staff to get to know their students better and help them find extracurricular opportunities that would fit them well. I also wish I had been exposed to more college options.

Posted December 14, 2010
I started going to WY this year as a 7th grader. It was a big adjustment of me to go from a school with 220 kids to a school with about 2200 kids. I really like the faxct that middle school students got a chance to mingle with high school students, and i really enjoy my classes too. The work load is a lot, and we do a lot of projects, but its definitely worth it, and i love everything about my school. Even though i miss my old school, i definitely dont regret switching to WY. The only thing i dont like is waking up early, but its definitely worth it :) ciara

Posted September 29, 2010
Six years of my life. And I loved it. WY has a very diverse atmosphere. Being a magnet school, you get people from all over. And everyone cares about academics in some form. I guess I could say it was a very comforting place to get an education. (Plus, there are so many classes in so many fields of interest...) The teachers cared about the students, like for real. And through whatever method they use to teach, they get their point through. The school has lots of programs - after school clubs and extracurricular's. Lots of sports. It's a place that gives you a lot of chances. And I have to say. There are just some things that WY has that other schools seem to lack. If you went there, you know what I mean.

Posted September 23, 2010
As a parent i would really like that my doughter attend this school. my doughter goes to w. irving middle school, she wants to go to whitney young sence she was in the 5th grade i think she made a great choice i hope they accept her.

Posted March 02, 2010

Young Magnet High School
211 South Laflin Street, Chicago, IL  60607
Last modified Young Magnet High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Young Magnet High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 53 reviews.