Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school is a school to didnt impact my child's High school education I personally believe that this school need a few changes and this school needs a entirely new faculty and staff because my child came home every day and didn't have and homework or even any books or nothing in her bookbag and this concerned me alot . So I went up to the school to talk to the Dean and all her teachers and as I enter the school I see young men pants below their waist and I here them yell out many foul words in front of security guards and they just stand there with no intentional remark or response and at that moment I could see that the faculty and staff members doesn't take pride in their work and the students doesn't take pride in their career and education, now don't get me wrong the school has a couple bright and intelligent kids and teachers but majority of the kids and teachers need an intervention. Now as I talk to my child's Dean she explains to me that this school isn't bad and our faculty and staff members are very important and intelligent when it comes to children and that's pretty much what her teachers said too. All I'm saying is that all schools should have the best faculty and staff members and students that take their education and job serious but Harlan doesn't it is completely different. My child is at butler college prep now and she is doing tremendously great she is a senior and is about to graduate with a 3.6 gpa and I'm not trying to brag or nothing like that I'm just sharing my story about Harlan.

Being a recent alumni of Harlan, I must say that it isn't as bad of a school as it's reputation gives it. It has definitely gotten better from when I entered in 2007 to now. There are caring teachers & faculty who try their best to push students to learn the necessary tools to continue into their college careers, but students rent very acceptive to it. The post secondary department were adamant in getting students into college by making it a requirement to apply to 5 colleges of the students choice. The AP/Honors classes does an excellent job at preparing students for college level work. I was doing work that I am doing now in college back in high school. I am very thankful of what I've gained during my 4 years at Harlan. It has developed me into who I am today and prepared me for my current college matriculation.

I've read most bad reviews versus good ones....my son applied to harlan for the fall because they offer web and game design. It's not our neighborhood school, but I do want my son to learn something that he's interested in, while in HighSchool...do you recommend this school?

Harlan's rep. Is bad but in reality it's really good school. They have caring teachers, and great programs such as the engineering program and academic center,

Even though the school has a reputation for being violent, its probably because the school is poorly funded. I talked to a senior today and asked where there going for there senior trip, I was told there going to an arcade place. Also while i was there I asked how does it feel to be a senior, an I was told that it feels no different from all the other grade levels.

This sound like a great school I would to get more information on it.Thank you

Harlan has educated some of the best and brightest in the Chicagoland area. It is probably the only school in the city, perhaps in the country that can claim 8 Circuit Court judges, a host of teachers and principals, musicians, physicians, clergy, etc.

Initially, my husband and I were apprehensive about our children attending Harlan. I had heard so many bad things about the school; basically the administration was not about academics, only sports, low test scores, etc. However, our youngest daughter got accepted to the Academic Center & subsequently joined one of the sports teams. At the end of the year, Harlan put together a beautiful athletic banquet. I was impressed with the program, the students were tastefully dressed and orderly, but what really sold me was listening to the GPAs of these students - 3.5s and above! I was blown away! Here these students were playing a sport and maintaining these GPAs! The new principal, Reginald Evans, has made many changes at Harlan to further academic excellence, such as the new Engineering Program beginning this Fall for selected Freshmen. Look for Harlan to soon be one of the top highs in Chicago.

My son went to this school. He was suppose to graduate class of 09. He went and talked to his teachers, mother contacted schooled and making sure he was going to be ok for this special day and they called him 2 days befog to tell him that he was not. I went and talked to his teacher and he was cold and displayed and very none caring. He took no responsibility of being a teacher and shifted blame from 1 department to the other. I was shocked of the answers that he gave and and the lace of comment he showed.

When I first arrived at Harlan I was shocked at the shape the school was in. It was in fact one of the worst schools I had attended. But through-out the course of 2 years, all the way up until I graduated in 2008, I must say that the school in a way has gotten alot better. My main concern for the school is the way the teachers dicipline the students. Some of the teachers make it aware that they do not care. Harlan has under went a huge turn around. I went from a student embarresed to claim my high school, to a proud graduate and frequent volunteer. Harlan is just a little bruised rose...with some watering it will blossom. -Kiara Goodman (Harlan 2008 Secretary & Graduate)

Last modified Harlan Community Academy High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12