No rating

Marist High School

Private | 9-12 | 449 students

Living in Chicago

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted February 24, 2008

I am very sorry I sent my child to Marist. The school has too much emphasis on sports and not enough on academics. Furthermore, the teachers at the honors level are not carefully monitored and as a result, they get away with sub-par teaching. Terribly disappointed.

Posted January 20, 2008

Marist is a place where effort is rewarded. I am far from a genius, but I worked hard at Marist and, as a result, achieved great success there. The academics/faculty are outstanding. Academic support is widely available, putting the path to successes into the students hands. Multiple athletic, social, and academic extra-curricular programs exist, offering something for all. Participation is the key; by taking advantage of these programs, an unconfident/awkward freshman quickly transforms into a mature/focused upperclassman. At Marquette University, I noticed that I was better prepared than many of my peers. Additionally, I noticed that I was much prepared than my peers from other Chicagoland schools. Since graduating, and working for an international accounting firm, I have reflected on my academic experiences. I give Marist the primary credit for my professional and personal development. I look back on my days at Marist with great fondness.

Posted March 5, 2007

My child is a freshman. The environment is academically challenging. The teachers are committed. There is a learning specialist to help meet the needs of the students with learning disabilities. Edline allows parents to track student grades (all teachers should be required to use it regularly.) Unfortunately the student body is not very diverse.

Posted January 6, 2006

Excellent school with a focus on academics as well as respect for your elders and fellow students. I was surprised when the dean of discipline contacted my parents when I was disrepectful towards my teacher - thus allowing my parents to add to the detention already administered at school. Frankly I was a lazy adolescent, however the Marist Brothers were quick to note this and were able to extract more from me. I have no doubt that my successes later in life have a great deal to do with the tutelage I received while attending Marist.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 19, 2004

Marist's band is horrible. To the post below, the band can't even march. They look good and sound good becuase they can't do anything than stand and play. Also if you call a band good who performs at the football championships think again.

Posted September 7, 2004

A great school with wonderful and caring instructors-my son has made terrific friends here also!

Posted August 23, 2004

As a parent of two graduates, 2000 and 2004, and one daugther, the first coed class of 2006, we have been very pleased with the educational environment/curriculum at Marist H.S. It is a wonderful learning community which seeks to bring out the best in their students. As their motto states, they 'educate young men and women in mind, body and spirit.' It is a Catholic high school but has students of other faiths who come to Marist for a strong college prep program particularly in math and science. Marist does a fine job in preparing students for a successful rigorous college experience. It has an excellent band program which has been recognized by their participation in the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Gator Bowl in recent years. Their Jazz Band has also received high ratings. They have added equal sports activities for the girls with great success. Two thumbs up for Marist!

Posted July 6, 2004

Wonderful school! The Marist Brothers are TRUE educators. I wish we could have a Brother for the principal, as I feel he would give the necessary religious presence we currently lack.

Posted September 9, 2003

I love Marist! There extracurricular activies are so much fun and there is so much involvement. This year I joined many clubs and I think they are the best! I feel like I am part of Marist and have changed me this year. I feel very comfortable especially around all my friends, teachers, and other students. I couldn't think of anything better to be than home, which is Marist.

Posted September 9, 2003

The school went coed in 2002 A really fine school that will prepare your child for college.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Larry Tucker
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4200 West 115th Street