Chicago, IL

Posted August 03, 2015
Our son is in the All Year Montessori program at the Ancona School, and he--and we!--could not be happier with the experience. While we had no prior connection to Ancona (nor were we very familiar with the Montessori approach), we have found it to be such a wonderful and welcoming community, and a perfect fit for our family. The AYM program features a dual Spanish/English curriculum, which was a stand-out feature for us. The teachers are absolutely amazing at identifying each child's strengths and helping them develop at an individualized pace. They have shown such warm enthusiasm for my son's interests and have nurtured his curiosity for learning about the world around him. Whether learning about the solar system, our city's architecture, or African dance, the teachers work WITH the students to develop creative projects that inspire a holistic understanding of the material, often taking advantage of the city's rich resources for real world experiences. Whatever the lesson, I appreciate that the emphasis is about intellectual exploration and true understanding, not memorizing for a test. Beyond the classroom, I have also found the staff to be exceptionally kind, professional, and connected to the students and families. The parents, too, are involved and invested in the school, yet without the sharp competitive edge that sometimes exists in private school environments. Parents are not doing assignments on behalf of their children here, much to my relief. To touch on the broader mission of the school, Ancona encourages its students to be independent problem solvers who are respectful and responsible members of their community. In addition to the academics, students are shown how to be kind to one another, and how to work together to solve problems, and how to appreciate diversity in its many forms. I am always impressed that even the youngest children here will look adults in the eye and speak to them with confidence. In sum, this is the educational experience I wish I would have had as a child (a somewhat anxious, high achiever who felt constrained by an exam-driven curriculum). I am so glad we found Ancona, and I look forward to many more years of joyful learning for my son.

Posted July 31, 2015
Ancona is an extraordinary school. It offers a world class education but that is not what makes it so special in my opinion. It's values are what really sets it apart from other school. Ancona is committed to social justice and that thread runs through everything the students do. It is also the most diverse school in Chicago but not just in terms of the student population (which is 60% students of color with a wide variety of backgrounds represented) but in terms of the curriculum. There is a significant emphasis on creating a peaceful community. It is truly a beautiful place. I also love that kids are kids here - there is daily recess (often twice daily) and a very reasonable homework situation. They want kids to have time to play. What a relief! Finally, the families who come to Ancona are extraordinary - we have made so many amazing friends. It's a privilege to be a part of a community that shares your values. We want our children to receive an excellent education (and get into the city's top high schools), have fun, and help make the world a better place.

Posted February 19, 2015
"I just love Ancona!" That was music to our ears after enduring weeks of ranting about leaving his friends. Transferring our son to Ancona for his 8th grade year was risky, but a very necessary decision. We had become so disenchanted with the CPS system and its rote approach to learning and that we had to make a leap of faith. The Ancona family made us, and more importantly him, feel right at home! Our son met new friends and teachers who cared about him as a person and not just a letter grade. The holistic approach to learning was exactly what he needed, and what we had been looking for! Our only regret was that we didn't send him sooner. We were so pleased that we immediately transferred our second son to Ancona. We are happy to say that he is a thriving 6th grader and is excited about learning!

Posted May 01, 2014
I have been an Ancona Parent for 8 yrs now. My daughter has flourished and grown in every way a parent could ask for. The teachers are kind, interested, academically motivated, curious, gentle and rigorous. Their concern for every child is so manifest. The trips away to camp and later Mexico build character and create confident risk takers. Spanish is available from the time they are 3. Montessori works, it REALLY does....Plus, Building the pink tower is the best. I can not find enough good things to say about this place or it's people. Teachers, staff, parents, EVERYONE! Sending your child to Ancona will be a choice you will be glad you made. I promise.

Posted August 06, 2013
The Ancona School is perhaps the only private, independent school in Chicago that has consistently maintained its integrity as a school implementing progressive-based and Montessori practices. Ancona has almost always been completely true to its mission: providing an exceptional educational experience, while celebrating a racially, ethnically, religiously, socially diverse population. It's a gem that shouldn't be so "hidden". Too many people searching for so-called "good" schools go after a name or a reputation, while their children end up lacking the kinds of interactions that really prepare them for the so-called "real world". Ancona is about a real as it gets. No hiding, no bait-and-switch, just real. Not perfect, but real. I am very impressed by the tremendous education my child has received at Ancona.

Posted April 14, 2013
Ancona is a truly exceptional place with strong leadership, exceptional teaching, and a warm social environment. All of these basics facilitate what the school is all about -- creating in each student an open-minded, confident, creative risk-taker. I have a sixth grader and a fourth grader in the school now. But prior to arriving at Ancona, we had sampled four other schools. No comparison. Ancona manages to balance the many important aspects of cultivating young minds and emotions: academics, self-expression, importance of community, skills, play, values, self-discipline and respect . . you name it. Strongly recommended to anyone considering a move to Chicago or a shift from another local school.

Posted February 19, 2013
A wonderful, nurturing school. Each child receives individual attention and support as he/she develops into in a critical thinker.

Posted February 19, 2013
We are so happy with Ancona. Our kindergartener is reading out loud, says math is fun, knows all the countries in South America, and talks about civil rights. What an amazing place! The teachers are kind and patient and can handle a "spirited" child. The community is incredibly diverse. Choosing Ancona was absolutely the right decision.

Posted February 11, 2013
This is my daughter's sixth year at Ancona. We love the small, nurturing environment, the commitment to peace and social justice, and the truly exceptional teachers. I understand that this sounds like an advertisement, but really each one of those things is true. The curriculum is challenging, the teachers can meet individual students at their own level, and my daughter is developing her abilities to work with all her classmates, not just her friends.

Ancona School 4

Posted February 10, 2013
As a parent, I see the academic and personal growth in my children practically everyday. I really like all the opportunities for parent participation.

Ancona School