No rating

Lake Shore School

Private | PK-8

Living in Chicago

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted May 10, 2014

The administration staff, the owner, and supporting staff are great. Teachers for kids 6 months to 3 years are great as well. However, they can't seem to be able to retain good teachers there in pre K. My child went through 4 teachers in one school year. They ranged from very mean to nice, some were better at teaching academics than others. As much as it was a relief to see mean/angry teacher go, the fact that kids had to adopt to a new caregiver every few weeks was frustrating. I do not have experience about older grades since my child went there from 1year to 5. Let me stress again that I think this is by far the best day care in Edgewater. Teachers are caring and knowledgeable that provide great programs to little ones. We interviewed several daycares and this was the only one that met our expectations and made us feel comfortable leaving our little one there. They do monthly field trips and send report packages home with photos and child's art work every two weeks. Once they fix their pre K teacher retaintion issue, they will be amazing. I am sending my second kid there next year.

Posted November 1, 2011

I attended this school from 3rd - 8th grade, so I do not know much about the preschool program. I graduated from here around 7 years ago. I had a wonderful education, it really prepared me for high school! I got a better education and more one on one then I would have had at a cps school. I graduated with a class of 5, because their were only 5 of us in the entire class! I received a wonderful education, was in a very diverse environment, and made life-long friendships! The school can be kind of pricy, but the teachers are extremely dedicated. So if you live in Chicago and in the Roger Park area I would really recommend this school!

Posted May 26, 2010

Lake Shore School is not one that I would send my child. The Director needs social skills toward parents. The teachers need to speak up for their students and not let her belittle them and their students. After all, big money is required. Not every teacher has to like a child. Teachers are human too, but they need to be a lot more professional in handling negative situations. Parents like to hear the good things their kids are accomplishing, not just the bad. The director needs to retire and find someone that has a more caring personality and not one that is overbearing. Thank you.

Posted May 3, 2010

All the teachers are great with the children. They talk to the parnets if there is a problem with your child

Posted December 27, 2009

Both of my daughters went here when we lived in the city. The greatest strength of the school is the diversity of the students - my girls learned about different cultures by having classmtes who talked about home. Mses Marsha and Karen expect the kids to listen and it works. They are on top of what the kids are doing and will not accept 'sliding'. We missed them greatly after we moved to the suburbs.

Posted February 26, 2009

Feb. 2009 School has grown: achieved NAEYC accreditation, CPS partnership and long term improved teacher credentials. you must visit to appreciate the program, curriculum and very affordable tuition.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 26, 2005

The school has numerous strengths. The student-teacher ratio is very low and the after-school care is wonderful. The school fosters creativity and art well. The student population is diverse with the majority as black or mixed ethnicity. there is little parent involvement, but the staff teamwork is strong and there is wonderful communication and feedback from the school. I have two children there and their literacy is developing very well. This is an excellent school for busy, working parents.

Posted March 13, 2005

Great: small class sizes, dedicated teachers and staff. Long history of committment to children and families. The only program that is affordable and exceptional.

Posted March 8, 2005

Academic program is excellent. Extracurricular activities are not that good. My son was not able to take more classes because he was the only one registered for that class.Parent involvement is not always requested by the school

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NAEYC

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5611 North Clark Street