Chicago, IL
Before care: Yes

St. Edward 4

Posted October 06, 2014
The children and parents at St. Edward are truly wonderful. The children are, for the most part, well-behaved, intelligent, ethical and kind. Many of the children matriculate to excellent high schools, but this is, in part, due to the fact that they were excellent to begin with. Many of the parents work tirelessly for the betterment of the school. There has been some turnover among the teachers; some of the new teachers are quite good. A couple of the teachers could stand some improvement in terms of responsiveness, patience, kindness, and charity toward students (and parents) who are less than perfect.

Posted March 05, 2014
I couldn't be more pleased with the education, love and guidance my two daughters are receiving at St. Edward School. My kids have made friends they will have a lifetime, and so have I! The academics are exemplary and we know that are kids are getting the foundation they need to be successful in high school and beyond. We recently learned that the 8th grade class has been accepted into the top Catholic and Selective Enrollment CPS high school in the city. 4 of our 8th graders received perfect scores on the CPS High School Entrance Exam, while 2 more received 297 out of 300. Great education, great families, great school! (see what I did there? :)

Posted August 29, 2013
Great community with great teachers who get to know the students. High academic standards and extracurricular programs. Students matriculate into top Chicago schools, both public and private.

Posted August 29, 2013
I have been involved with St Edward School for 5 years now as my oldest started in preschool. I have watched my daughter grow and develop into a mature preteen with great confidence and humility. I will attribute a lot of that growth to the St Edward community where we have met other great families and children all helping us round out our children's experiences. I also have a kindergarten child attending and will shortly have 2 preschoolers to follow. Its a great school and community and haven't regretted our decision.

Posted October 17, 2011
Contrary to what has been posted, there is financial aid available at St. Edward School, and because of excellent fundraising by volunteer organizations, the tuition is one of the lowest in the area. The students get an excellent education. All you have to do is walk in the door to see that the student population reflects all ethnic backgrounds. The principal is very responsive to concerns. Last year graduates were accepted at Chicago public selective-admission high schools as well as the top Catholic high schools in the area. Many of the students who are attending Catholic high schools received scholarships from St. Edward through fundraisers. St. Edward is tops in its music education program, offering private lessons in nearly every instrument, and it has two orchestras and a band. The sports program is excellent, and the preschool program was begun by a teacher with a PhD in early childhood education. Beyond that, the school is located in a very safe neighborhood with extremely strong community values. My child considers the St. Edward community like her family.

Posted March 26, 2011
St. Edward has an excellent mathematics program from pre-school through 8th grade. Mrs. Valentino, Sister Shirley, Ms. Campbell, and Sister Emeric have done a terrific job developing the solid mathematical foundations my daughters will need to succeed in high school. I feel confident they will have opportunities in finance, technology and engineering fields if they choose. My daughters love math, and they owe it to these teachers the most. They have a great art, sports, and music program as well. They are seriously great at educating the body, soul and mind. I am very pleased with the critical thinking and analysis that my children have been learning and applying everyday inside and outside of school. The principal runs a tight ship with excellent parental involvement. In my view, this school is second to none and worth every penny we pay.

St. Edward 3

Posted March 22, 2011
This school has some good things such as its music program which you have to pay for but reasonable. Orchestra/band is free. Art program is good and admin by parents. Class sizes are small. There is no financial aid and tuition continues to go higher stressing parents out. There are some behavioral issues which have caused some families to leave because not addressed by principal. No zero tolerance policy here. Not very diverse school in terms of socioeconomic factors. Lots of diva and drama with many kids. Great parent group. Some really good teachers, but not sure if kids are prepared to compete at the public school levels.

Posted December 07, 2010
One of the best Catholic schools in the city of Chicago. Has a highly recognized music program, including private lessons and a full orchestra for students as young as third grade. Excellent academics, experienced teachers, Spanish in the curriculum, chess club, dedicated fine art lessons, full sports program for boys and girls. Before and after school child care, full and half-day preschool and kindergarten, 1st place junior high academic teams, I could go on and on. Year after year, St. Edward eighth graders are accepted into the top schools in the city and suburbs, including Northside, Payton, Loyola and St. Ignatius. St. Edward has it all.

Posted April 24, 2010
We have been so happy with St. Edward. Our son is challenged and loves school so much that he runs to the door every morning when I drop him off. There is an accelerated reading program as well as a Title 1 teacher for kids who need additional assistance. There is a parent-run art program, daily recess, gym, music, and Spanish beginning in pre-K. Our academic team won 2 quiz bowls this year, including St. Ignatius College Prep's contest. The best part of St. Edward is the amazing community. I know there a myriad of parents I can call if I need a pick-up, drop-off, or my son needs a ride to a birthday party. I would recommend this school to parents looking for a school with great academics and a nurturing community for their cild.

St. Edward 4

Posted April 21, 2010
Great parent community that makes so very much happen; caring, smart teachers! Strong music department, PTO funds weekly Spanish classes starting in prek-K, on-site before - and after-school care!

St. Edward