Chicago, IL
Students enrolled: 1,533

Posted March 13, 2015
As a neighbor, I am so impressed with all that is going on at this school now. Not only are the kids happier (very safe, huge Homecoming celebration, 50% more students involved in after school activities) but the principal and her staff are driven for success for all the kids and the IB program and AVID are top notch. Makes me a little sad that my now college-age kids (who went to Selective Enrollment high schools) missed the chance to walk across our beautiful park and attend a great neighborhood school.

Posted March 11, 2015
Amundsen is not the same Amundsen of just a few years ago. The culture is completely different - safe and positive. The new principal (hired in 2012) is strengthening the academic rigor, and developing a great learning community. Don't let the old reputation keep you from looking at this "hidden gem". Amundsen is also part of a brand new community effort (with aldermen and neighborhood leaders) to make this school a "school of choice". The school offers IB, AVID, AP and dual-credit.

Posted November 17, 2014
Wow, I went to the recent open house and the new principal is a total rock star. I know so many parents that are worried sick about their kids getting into a selective enrollment school, but after meeting teachers and students here at Amundsen, we are going to give this school a long hard look. If you haven't been to this school and taken the tour, you owe it to yourself to put it on the list, as more and more neighborhood families are enrolling their kids here. Test scores continue to rise and we are lucky that this our local neighborhood option. Your kids don't need to be perfect to attend here, but for so many of us that are seeking a great local option this is a perfect fit.

Amundsen High School 4

Posted November 14, 2014
We have a middle schooler who's in the process of learning about high school options. Amundsen is our neighborhood school and we've been hearing good things about the principal and the school, so we wanted to see for ourselves what Amundsen has to offer. We went to last weekend's open house, and were impressed with the IB program, the athletic offerings, so many student activities and the overall feel of the school community. Even my extremely skeptical middle schooler was impressed ... so much so that Amundsen shot to the top of her list, tied with her top selective enrollment choice. I would be happy to have my kids attend Amundsen, right here in our neighborhood.

Posted November 24, 2010
I agree that this school has a very undeserved bad rep. Before we moved here, I was so worried about sending my daughter to this school because of all we had heard. But the staff were wonderful. Ms. Farfan was so helpful and got my daughter enrolled right away. The faculty at this school is very proactive in the students' educations--instead of just sitting back waiting for the students to fail, they make sure they take every step to catch problems early. I'm so glad we "had to get stuck" with this school!

Posted February 26, 2009
This School is better than most people realize. The teachers at this school are very helpful and always give chances to finish up late work. It's right next to a soccer field,football stadium,3 baseball fields, and a park has it's own parking for students and teachers. The only problem that I notice are the students don't pay attention or really try to do the work not all of the students are like that though. It's still a very good school.

Posted October 30, 2008
It's a great school all you have to do is choose your friends right, and they'll be your great friends throughout the year/

Amundsen High School 3

Posted August 17, 2008
I used to attend Amundsen, and I truly believe that it's reputation is thanks to the students. I am not saying that the school or faculty isn't at fault either. I constantly heard from students that Amundsen wasn't a great school, but I never heard them say that they would stop cutting class or work harder. Amundsen does offer some programs that can help students academically and personally. I understand that sometimes teachers may give up on students but they also have to be the one's to encourage them to change their ways. I believe that there shouldn't be a friendship between students and security. There were many incidents in which I saw security allow a student to cut class, or letting them off the hook when they've done wrong. Amundsen is always striving for the better of the school, staff and students. Unfortunately, it hasn't happened, YET! Good luck AHS!

Amundsen High School

Posted May 17, 2008
I visited the school during Report Card Pick Up day and I was very happy with the way I was received and directed. The faculty and the office was very polite. The school was very clean and the event was well attended. Congratulations to the Principal who works very hard and is one of the few children's advocates in this system. Keep up the good work and all the parents will support you forever. Thank you!

Posted April 02, 2008
I think every seems to be miss judgement about Amundsen, this schoolas such gifted staff members ,teachers and the princial walks the halls to ensure every one in his school is safe what better place for a child to learn a safe and caring enviroment that has gifted teachers great job amundsen

Amundsen High School
5110 North Damen Avenue, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Amundsen High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Amundsen High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top