Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted May 02, 2016
My son is a Freshman at Amundsen in the IB Program. I have been very impressed with course content in the IB Program and the one-one-one attention he gets from his teachers. He has enjoyed his participation on two of the sports teams. Amundsen Principal goes out of her way to make each student feel welcome and appreciated for their unique talents. At Amundsen, every one works together to create a small-town culture in an Urban School. I would highly recommend Amundsen to my friends.

Posted April 14, 2016
We first visited this school in the fall of 2014 and were very comfortable with the "feel" of the school. The new principal seemed genuinely engaged in creating a great learning environment for students and in supporting teachers and staff. We've heard from current and former IB students about their Amundsen HS experience. We have chosen Amundsen over other IB and selective enrollment schools and have not regretted it. The very good impression continues through the freshman year as we come to the report card pickup days, interact with the teachers. They're caring, they know well the children that they teach and guide. There are also many opportunities for developing special interests as there is a variety of after school clubs. I have not regretted for a moment that we've made the neighborhood school our #1 choice.

Posted November 13, 2015
As a neighbor, I am so impressed with all that is going on at this school now. Not only are the kids happier (very safe, huge Homecoming celebration, 50% more students involved in after school activities) but the principal and her staff are driven for success for all the kids and the IB program and AVID are top notch. Makes me a little sad that my now college-age kids (who went to Selective Enrollment high schools) missed the chance to walk across our beautiful park and attend a great neighborhood school. GREAT NEWS UPDATE: Amundsen was just named a Level ! school! They also had some major remodeling work done this summer (new gyms, locker rooms, computer resources) and have a major partnership with University of Chicago!

Posted November 09, 2015
I went to their open house and see that it's a good high school to go in.

Posted March 11, 2015
Amundsen is not the same Amundsen of just a few years ago. The culture is completely different - safe and positive. The new principal (hired in 2012) is strengthening the academic rigor, and developing a great learning community. Don't let the old reputation keep you from looking at this "hidden gem". Amundsen is also part of a brand new community effort (with aldermen and neighborhood leaders) to make this school a "school of choice". The school offers IB, AVID, AP and dual-credit.

Posted November 17, 2014
Wow, I went to the recent open house and the new principal is a total rock star. I know so many parents that are worried sick about their kids getting into a selective enrollment school, but after meeting teachers and students here at Amundsen, we are going to give this school a long hard look. If you haven't been to this school and taken the tour, you owe it to yourself to put it on the list, as more and more neighborhood families are enrolling their kids here. Test scores continue to rise and we are lucky that this our local neighborhood option. Your kids don't need to be perfect to attend here, but for so many of us that are seeking a great local option this is a perfect fit.

Amundsen High School 4

Posted November 14, 2014
We have a middle schooler who's in the process of learning about high school options. Amundsen is our neighborhood school and we've been hearing good things about the principal and the school, so we wanted to see for ourselves what Amundsen has to offer. We went to last weekend's open house, and were impressed with the IB program, the athletic offerings, so many student activities and the overall feel of the school community. Even my extremely skeptical middle schooler was impressed ... so much so that Amundsen shot to the top of her list, tied with her top selective enrollment choice. I would be happy to have my kids attend Amundsen, right here in our neighborhood.

Posted November 24, 2010
I agree that this school has a very undeserved bad rep. Before we moved here, I was so worried about sending my daughter to this school because of all we had heard. But the staff were wonderful. Ms. Farfan was so helpful and got my daughter enrolled right away. The faculty at this school is very proactive in the students' educations--instead of just sitting back waiting for the students to fail, they make sure they take every step to catch problems early. I'm so glad we "had to get stuck" with this school!

Posted February 26, 2009
This School is better than most people realize. The teachers at this school are very helpful and always give chances to finish up late work. It's right next to a soccer field,football stadium,3 baseball fields, and a park has it's own parking for students and teachers. The only problem that I notice are the students don't pay attention or really try to do the work not all of the students are like that though. It's still a very good school.

Posted October 30, 2008
It's a great school all you have to do is choose your friends right, and they'll be your great friends throughout the year/

Amundsen High School
5110 North Damen Ave, Chicago, IL  60625
Last modified Amundsen High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.