Bad
Good

Great school. My wife and I moved to Crystal Lake for the community and the great schools. This schools has great leadership and even offers a dual launguage (Spanish) program for non ESL students. What most people don't realize is when a school and school disctrict has an ESL population of sutdents it always brings the overall "scores" down. Standardized testing doesn't account for the fact that ESL kids don't understand the test in English. Any way this school offers a great cultual mix, great staff and lots of parent involvement.

This school has a wonderful feeling when you walk in the door. You realize right away that every adult there is connected and involved with the children. The administrators that took over about 5 years ago have worked hard to make sure that expectations remain high for academics as well as proper behavior. The teachers are kind and supportive. My son is not in the dual language program, but I wish we had taken advantage of it when he was in Kindergarten. I feel comfortable calling any time I have a concern or question. Mrs. Alberth, the assistant principal, is very responsive and helpful.

My daughter is finishing second grade and can now speak in both english ans spanish. What a wonderful program they have. I can't wait for our youngest to start Kindergarden this fall.

My son finished kindergarten this Spring and I could not been happier with the school. When he got out of preschool, he barely knew alphabets and few words. My wife was disappointed because he didn't learn a lot in preschool and I thought we wasted our money sending him there. But after 3 months in kindergarten, he started reading books that was impossible for him before. We were amazed by the transformation that took place. I am not much involved with the school nor know a lot about teachers and staff. But I'm very happy with my son's progress.

We had a couple not so great experiences but they were very limited overall. I have a child with special needs and the staff are all very willing to work with you and keep the communication open. They even implemented other interventions for him above and beyond his IEP that have really been the key to his success. Assistant Principal is great, and 1st grade teacher beyond fabulous, K could have been better. The district has been making things a little more "localized" to the school and this has really helped as far as getting him what he needs (when things come from "above" it was harder to get help). We are moving soon and they have been SO helpful in preparing information to take with us to our new school. Our whole family will miss this school. It is true that they only want you to be involved to a point though. I prefer volunteering in the classroom to doing fundraising etc, this year opportunities were better than last year.

i love canterbury aj.massa

Last modified Canterbury Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.