Des Plaines, IL

Posted February 03, 2014
As a former student of this high school, I believe deeply in the high quality instruction that this institution offers. Teachers are invested in their students and set high expectations for them. What I believe that people who are considering enrolling at Maine West should know is that the student population is made of the sons and daughters of working class families in the Chicago-suburbs, many students who are going to be first generation college students. As a first-generation college student myself, Maine West faculty went out of their way to guide me through the application process, write letters of recommendation, and suggest scholarships that would help me pay for tuition. Not many public institutions, especially one of this size, are able to provide that kind of service. Because of the support of the Maine West faculty, I was able to attend Georgetown University and graduate cum laude. This is directly related to the fact that I entered college prepared, much more so than my peers of a similar background who attended the university on scholarship.

Posted February 26, 2010
Have found the teachers to be ineffective when dealing with any type of difficulty with the students. They don't really care as proven by their 'wait til your old enough & then you can drop out' attitude. If this is the 'great school' we're in BIG TROUBLE!

Posted January 30, 2010
Teachers seem to be very good with the students; really care about them.

Posted October 07, 2009
My son graduated from Maine West in 2008 and is now a US Marine. He loved his High School for the Friends and Sports.

Posted September 17, 2009
The art department rocks! The teachers are fantastic, enthusiastic, and eager to help. I would not have gotten into art school without their guidance and support.

Posted November 09, 2007
Maine West High School is the best school ever! We have so many extra curricular activities, and all of them are great. The learning system varies, but it is in a way that gives students like me a better way of learning. The field trips are always fun and a blast! We recently went to Chinatown for World Cultures. That was so fun! Maine West is a great way to meet new people. We have dances about every other week. We also have football games that have cheerleaders and a band. The bands shows are always impressive. There is so much more I could say about Maine West, but you just have to figure out it for yourself! Don't worry parents. You would be making the right choice in making your child come here.

Posted July 24, 2007
A large public school with a small private school aproach to learning !! a great school! and the best teachers who go beyond the rquired school day to encourge students to learn!! last child graduated 2007, goning to miss maine west!! keep up the good work!!!

Maine West High School 4

Posted September 20, 2005
- a former student

Maine West High School 4

Posted August 22, 2005
The staff is great. We get our phone calls returned with no problem. There is a homework hotline for parents to check on their students homework. Maine West has been a wonderful experience.

Posted October 16, 2004

Maine West High School
1755 South Wolf Road, Des Plaines, IL  60018
Last modified Maine West High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Maine West High School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top