Posted January 03, 2014
This is our first year at SAA, and so far it has been amazing! Our daughter went to a few other schools before this, and would be upset when I dropped her off and picked her up. But at SAA, she is very excited to go to school, and is very happy when we pick her up. Her class is very small, and she receives a lot of individualized attention from her teachers. She was extremely shy, but has opened up since attending SAA. Her teachers were able to see through her shyness and assess her appropriately (previous teachers didn't think she knew anything since she wouldn't speak up). The new Headmaster, Mr. Costello is AMAZING and a true visionary. I can see that he really cares for the students, and takes the time to know each student and parent on a personal level.

Posted August 27, 2013
This school has really changed my life. I love it so much, and it has prepared me well for high school, and the staff and administration reply do get to know each student personally. Kids learn about diversity and accepting one another, and people are caring and friendly. Send your child here if you want them to prosper in not only Sciences, and the Arts, but in all subjects. The courses are certainly far from easy, but teachers strive to assist young learners as they face challenges, or have difficulty understanding a concept. many outstanding extra-curriculars help develope team-building skills, and a healthy like for competition.SAA has definitely changed my life, and helped me build the confidence and passion for learning that I have today. Thank you SAA, for helping me earn long lasting friendships, character, and a love for school and learning. :)

Posted April 19, 2013
Science and Arts Academy is a treasure, and has made our child's life and ours so much better. I only regret that I didn't make the move from our well-regarded suburban district much sooner. Teacher quality is very high with few exceptions, and the exceptions don't seem to last long. Their promises of individualized education are true, my child's assignments are frequently targeted and classes like math that benefit from different levels and different instruction within level really happen that way. A new headmaster is coming in for 2013-2014 and faculty and staff seem very excited. The degree of parental engagement is like nothing I've seen before; these parents care about education and their kids and put their time and money on this priority. This is a functioning school with minor glitches, but superior in both theory and practice to the many alternatives we've explored or experienced for the gifted child. It is also a surprisingly fun place for kids, not something I had expected.

Posted September 14, 2012
We switched our son from public school to SAA in 3rd grade, almost 10 years ago, upon realizing the class room teacher had no idea what to do with a kid that "got it" the first time, then zoned out until something more interesting came along. After 3 heartsick months being berating for inattentiveness and symptoms of depression ( mommy, I have that sad feeling again ) we had to do something. An evaluation determined he was not inattentive, he was at the 12th grade level at age 8. We left and never looked back. My son excelled at SAA, and is now in one of the most competitive private high schools in the country. He is a national award winner in both French and Spanish (thank you Ms. Salzano!); is in a linear algebra class specifically created for him because he ran the school out of math beyond calculus; has won awards for his Science Fair research from NOAA, the US Fish and Wildlife Service among others. He is being recruited by top colleges all over the country, including the Ivys. ALL OF THIS IS BECAUSE OF SAA! I am convinced that if we had not made this move, we would have a child with emotional problems because he didn t fit the No Child Left Behind mold. Thank you SAA!

Posted September 14, 2012

Science & Arts Academy 2

Posted April 06, 2012
My child was recently enrolled in SAA and I was very excited with the school. The educators are dedicated and talented. But eventually I questioned SAA s value. There was no intent to teach a sense of humanity or global perspective. The gifted students at SAA have the potential to lead society to positive change but that concept is lost on the administrators and many parents at SAA as they seem satisfied with only creating the future upper-middle-class laborer. There are other schools in the area that provide similar educations and but instill into their students a sense of purpose and a feeling of engagement with their community. The Waldorf School in Chicago and Plato Academy in Des Plaines are two that come to mind. I ve enrolled my younger child into one of these schools and it delights me to see that many of her projects take her out of the building and into the real-world. Although it brands itself a school for gifted children, SAA is really an exclusive school for parents of gifted children. Those parents that believed their child is gifted finally have the papers to prove it. This seems the driver for most with students enrolled there self-affirmation.

Posted May 29, 2010
My daughter just transferred here from a "great" school district and LOVES this school so much more! We are leaving No Child Left Behind...behind and not looking back. The class sizes are small, the students are motivated learners, and the teachers KNOW what to do with gifted kids and can appropriately challenge each one individually. They're doing it right and we're so happy to be s part of this community. French AND Spanish immersion at a young age, drama, specialized science and Latin teachers and chorus are either not offered or getting cut at our district school too. SAA saved my daughter and for that we are so grateful!

Science & Arts Academy 0

Posted May 06, 2010
This is an amazing place, unique with really committed and caring teachers.

Science & Arts Academy 0

Posted May 04, 2010
Science & Arts Academy is an amazing school. The teachers and staff are completely dedicated to their mission of teaching gifted children. I consider this the best grammar school in the country for gifted children. My son adores SAA and it is amazing watching him grow as a person and a student.

Posted May 04, 2010
Because of the quality level of education offered and the dedication of the personnel.

Science & Arts Academy
1825 Miner St, Des Plaines, IL  60016
Last modified Science & Arts Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Science & Arts Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top