Pierce Downer Elementary School 1

Posted May 05, 2013
This school does not offer Foreign Language during the school day, gifted program, art more than 2 times a month, music, and PE. There are many angry parents that are involved in running this school without an educational background, and just because parents volunteer doesn't mean they should be used for pulling kids out of class and teaching a lesson. Parents here think this school is the best in the district pride on it and have a bad reputation, and really it's not a good place. It's a very angry competitive place for children. Pierce Downer needs to go through some necessary changes to be a better school. Puffer, Highland, and Whittier have better test scores than Pierce Downer.

Pierce Downer Elementary School 0

Posted November 03, 2009
Pierce Downer is a Blue Ribbon school. The principal leads a great team of teachers and the parents are very involved. It is a terrific school.

Posted August 20, 2009
I have had 3 children attend this school and all have achieved great success. The teachers are extremely dedicated and have went above and beyond. The special education department should be praised. And as far as parent involvement, I have never seen such devoted parents. Anytime I would need help, support was always there. To the teachers and staff thank you for making these early years a wonderful experience for our children.

Posted April 28, 2009

Posted October 31, 2008

Posted September 02, 2008
You can not find a better school in the area. the principal puts education first and all the other time wasting that passes as learning last. As a long time parent at the school it is stratospherically improved and now far outpaces the other schools in the district. Yes there is a lot of parent involvement but I can not see that as a negative. A lot of the parents are former educators or have received special training and one should be grateful for the extra attention paid. Private schools achieve much more with less with just such a model.

Pierce Downer Elementary School 0

Posted May 21, 2008
I am a volunteer for JA and just completed 5 weeks of sessions with both 5th grades - Mrs. Lockhart & Mrs. Murphy. I have volunteered at 5 other schools in the area. These students were a clear cut above any others I've worked with. They are more attentive and have a deeper apprehension level, while also demonstrating excellent reading and communication skills. I enjoyed my time there very much.

Pierce Downer Elementary School 1

Posted May 20, 2008
There is more parent involvement at this school than teacher involvement at Pierce Downer. I feel as though the teachers are not really doing their job at this school. A lot of bullying goes on between children and nothing changes. This district offers less programs than surrounding districts. Overall, I am very disappointed in this school.

Pierce Downer Elementary School 2

Posted February 24, 2008
What some may consider involved parents..is really unqualified people teaching children because staff is at a premium! I work and I cannot begin to express my concerns that stay at home moms are allowed to pull my child from class and 'teach' them!

Pierce Downer Elementary School 4

Posted November 20, 2007
Pierce Downer recently won the Blue Ribbon Award for academic excellence. Our school has incredibly involved parents and a dedicated staff. The principal exhibits exceptional leadership skills. Our school does feel cramped at times and repairs are needed; however this is not the fault of our school but rather our district. Overall, I feel my children are receiving a very good education in a supportive atmosphere.

Pierce Downer Elementary School
1436 Grant Street, Downers Grove, IL  60515
Last modified Pierce Downer Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pierce Downer Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top