Dwight, IL
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As Principal of Dwight Junior High School since 2002, I'm very proud of our students, teachers, school and community. No doubt you will read a variety of perceptions on this website regarding our school...All I ask is that any visitors to this site keep an open mind and personally stop by our school to find out for yourself why 'It's a Great Day to be a Redbird!' Mr. Mark Pagel
February 22, 2009

Dwight Common School 3

Posted April 04, 2013
Several teachers in the junior high are completely out of touch with what is expected after students transition to high school. Great cooperation between the two districts must begin in earnest. Teachers at the junior high level have previously resisted changing their curriculum or teaching style in response to concerns from the high school (especially in Algebra). This continues today, despite Herculean efforts by the high school to improve this situation. The junior high administration does nothing to monitor or improve this situation.

Dwight Common School 2

Posted April 20, 2012
I was extremely SHOCKED to read all the positive reviews because my experience with the grade school has not been a positive one. I feel some of the teachers are not aware of differentiantiation. Their expectations are low and they do not challenge the students beyond grade level standards. The principal is NOT involved beyond the door of the office and that is disappointing. During a conversation with her, she kept using the term "your child" and she clearly knew my child's name. Very cold and impersonal!

Posted March 24, 2011
Dwight has a wonderful Grade School full of teachers that go way beyond their regular day. My children talk all of the time about how much they love their teachers. The community and parents work hard to come up with many extras to keep the children busy outside of school. I am proud to say that i also had the same experience growing up in Dwight. There are many graduates from Dwight all over the country that are at the top of their fields. I think this proves you dont need to come from a huge school with advanced classes to excel. You need the drive and the support from your school, parents, and community. Dwight does an excellent job in providing this. It is a Great place to live and raise your children.

Posted March 24, 2011
Great experience in the school district with a student with special needs. He got great assistance from staff both inside the school and support staff from outside the district.

Posted February 01, 2011
I noticed while reading the parents' comments that many of them are from 2004. Many things have changed for the better over the last seven years at Dwight Grade School. The "bullying" problem has been helped out with drastically with many seminars for the students. They offer "Red Bird Bucks" for students with positive attitudes. Every issue I have ever had with my children at the school has been handled quickly with care and understanding. I am happy my children attend Dwight Grade School.

Posted March 06, 2010
My daughter is a proud redbird and has been since we moved here in 2006, and when she entered junior high she's been even prouder. DGS is a great school full of wonderful teachers. They spend their money wisely, and make sure the students get the knowledge they need. At times the school may seem pushy on what they teach but its all in good intensions. They have recently adapted the PBIS System which has done wonders for the school the violence level had gone way down. almost to absolute zero. I recommend DGS you cant get a better staff anywhere and the children are so welcoming. I highly recomend this school for your child.

Dwight Common School 1

Posted January 26, 2010
When Chicago schools are taken from the average scores, this school fares poorly with the rest of the state even with a low student teacher ratio and higher than average teacher and administrative pay. I question administrative quality and teacher dedication in this school system.

Dwight Common School 4

Posted December 12, 2008
We just moved here from out of state and we chose Dwight because of the small town living and the school. We have a child in the special needs program and a child in junior high and we have never been happier. I disagree with so many responses on here. I am at the school often and the staff and kids are so great. I do have two issues, some students haven't been taught good manners,(but that starts at home parents) and I do wish the junior high had high academic classes for advanced students. I think the teachers and staff care so much for these children and I feel a laid back and relaxed vibe when I am on campus, very welcoming.

Dwight Common School 0

Posted September 11, 2007
I must say that we moved here 4 years ago and I came from a big city. I think that Dwight has an excellent teaching program, the teachers we've had thus far that have been excellent. My daughter has done nothing but excelled in her class work. I came from a big inner city area where I moved because of the school systems. So, to all of those complaining about the school system need to realize how good they have it.

Dwight Common School 2

Posted February 26, 2007
This school strives for what they perceive to be academic excellence. Their grading system in my opinion is too hard. They offer a lot of sports and other extracurricular activities. The administration and many of the teachers unfortunately are rigid in their thinking. They are big on control and b/c of that children suffer b/c control and following the rules are more important than the individual. There is overuse of detention to the point it doesn't mean a thing. I would suggest looking into neighboring school systems before sending my children to this school system.

Dwight Common School
801 South Columbia Street, Dwight, IL  60420
Last modified Dwight Common School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dwight Common School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top