No rating

Pope John Xxiii School

Private | PK-8

Living in Evanston

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $273,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted February 22, 2008

This is my daughter's first year attending Pope John. She absolutely loves it. She is excited about learning and adores her teachers. I feel she is appropriately challenged and that that the school really works to foster a warm and caring environment.

Posted October 15, 2007

I used to attend Pope John and it was a very good community. I had a nice class and most of the teachers were above average. Through my years there I felt that every class I learned a lot, but I never really had a strong math teacher who was able to explain the concepts on what we were learning. I thought that the English/Lit class in the Jr High was a very high point. I learned a lot but still had a good time, since the teacher kept the class pretty amusing. It had its high points and its low points, just like any school. I still wish I was able to attend there, but Pope John was able to prepare me for my move to a new school and a new town.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 30, 2007

We have sent our children to Pope John for many years now. We have been incredibly happy with all aspects of the school. There are going to be issues with any school, with any community; overall, however, we know our children are in a caring community receiving an excellent education.

Posted July 24, 2007

I worry about some of the teachers at this school. I felt my child wasted a semester with a teacher whom I feel did not challenge the kids. I am glad I made the decision to send her overseas to a very good school.

Posted April 2, 2007

As part time French teacher at Pope John XXIII School, I witness the high quality education students receive there.The teachers are professional and dedicated, the principal, assistant principal and office personnel are extraordinary and the community is outstanding! Pope John offers a classic education as well as a foundation in religious values and ethics. Students learn to take responsibility for their actions and for their work. There are numerous opportunities for students to explore the arts, through fine arts, dance, song and drama. Students who graduate from Pope John do well in high school.I sincerely believe the school offers a great education and an opportunity for students to learn to live with a diverse community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 28, 2007

Pope John XXIII is the BEST school for our children. The balance of a sound academic curriculum with a core group of teachers who not only teach but offer the direction we are seeking for our children is unmatched. The principal is strong is academics and budgeting (new endowment fund) and average in communication. She is well balanced with the Assistant Principal who is a strong communicator and advocate for the students and faculty. Pope John School does a good job in creating a place where parents can and do actively participate in their child's education. The new Media Center offers a quality place for the students to continue their learning along with improvements in Technology. Pope John is a wonderful and caring community where we look forward to our children being educating for many years to come.

Posted January 30, 2007

I had two children attend PJXXIII. During that time, we only had one teacher that was really bad. Most of the teachers were outstanding. There were three principals during that span. The first was great, the second was good, and the current was poor. A lot of politics have dictated the school policy and leadership with certain families having a grip on the leadership. I still consider the school to be very good despite the leadership over the last 10 years.

Posted January 14, 2007

We had children at Pope John for several years, and finally made the decision to leave. This school has a caring, involved parent community and some excellent teachers. However, the principal is not a strong selling point. As someone in a vital position of leadership, she is closed-minded and does not listen to concerned parents. The school codes are enforced inconsistently. Physical education is suboptimal.

Posted October 18, 2006

Pope John XXIII is a quality Catholic school, with several dedicated teachers. However, it lacks a well-liked principal. In my opinion, she has very little sense as to how students behave and would like to be treated. While I was at the school she treated every student, despite their age, as she would a pre-schooler. The classrooms are average in size and the computers are brand-new. The gym is on the small size, but I never had too much of a problem with it. One very large benefit of the school is it's relationship to St. Nicholas Church, a truly great community. Also, their Latin class (and teacher) is amazing. In fact, Mr. Onofrey is the one of the only reasons why I liked Pope John.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 21, 2006

I graduated from Pope John two years ago and couldnt be happier with the way Pope John prepared me for high school. The teachers were very strong in just about every subject, especially math and english. I could see that they really wanted each student to understand the material. Another great thing about this school is the way they emphasize your faith. Between masses and religious shows and the wonderful envolvment of the pastors, i believe that i truly recieved a full education of my faith and so much that cannot even be said about my individual growth. One of my favorite things about the school was our great athletic program. With so many different sports to play, it really taught me to balance my school work and fun, an important thing for high school. The parent involvment was so great and is really what makes it all so fun.
—Submitted by a former student

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 4%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Science Olympiad State Qualifier (2007)
  • Science Olympiad State Qualifier (2005)
  • Science Olympiad State Qualifier (2004)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:20 am
School end time
  • 2:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • (847) 475-5683

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
  • Our parents are involved in many ways. they volunteer in the classrooms and they pariticipate in annnual fund raising acitivities. they are active in leadership roles on school organizations like the school board, the parent association, and the athletic board.