Joliet, IL

Posted April 29, 2014
Lynne Thigpen sucks! Teachers are trying but the classes overcrowded. Bullying goes on constantly and nothing done about it! They also have been asking for money for the "New Playground" and this is what they built? I am moving out of the district at the end of the year because of this. Good riddance!!!!

Posted January 21, 2014
The kids in my son s 3rd grade class are not bullies YET. They are however starting to show signs of bullying such as being out of the teachers control and swearing. What kind of 3rd graders do this?? I also agree with the math curriculum being a complete joke. Since when do we show our children to count backwards! And my god send these kids home with some homework for god sake! They send my 3rd grader with a packet for the whole week .read 20 mins everyday and a math or reading worksheet maybe twice a week smh

Posted January 21, 2014
Early 2013 I was in search for a new home. There weren t many bad reviews so I felt comfortable buying a home by Thigpen. I was utterly mistaken. Since my initial search in May, there have been 5 new (BAD) reviews and they pretty much tell it all. After being in this school for 6 months, I ve taken my son out and am registering him in a private school. The principal needs a new carreer choice. After meeting with her in the beginning of the school year for verbal bullying, she stated that they do not make parents aware of bullying unless it s ongoing. This is ridiculous. My son has been constantly bullied but I guess since it s different kids everytime, it s not ongoing. Finally he was physically abused by a 5th grader (he s in 3rd) for not giving up his bracelet. He was then threatened to be beaten up everyday. This was 5 days ago. Not only did the principal not notify me when she became aware of the incident, but she won t call me back to talk about this. I don t know how this was handled, nor if the bully s parents were even made aware. I am FURIOUS with this school.

Posted September 03, 2013
This is my sons second year at Thigpen and i hate the school. It is very unorganized. There is a lack of communication and the people in the office are idiots. Mrs Beech seems to be the only one in the office that seems to care and take her job seriously. My son is bored in his classroom. He doesn't bring home schoolwork at all. What he does constantly bring home is fundraisers to make his school money. I'm more concerned with y'all actually teaching my kid something than to build your dam playground!!!

Posted August 06, 2013
My son attended this school for 4 years; ever since Kindergarten. This school is an EPIC FAIL! and I finally said enough is enough this past school year and we took him out of this school. The homework that he was bringing home from 3rd grade lacked instructions which made it difficult to help him complete. Additionally, I questioned the teacher on the mathematics curriculum and she barely could explain the regrouping method that is being used instead of the normal adding and subtracting that most parents teach their children. I explained that if she could barely explain it to me, then how could my son understand it enough to show me what he doesn't understand about it. The teacher went on to blame the principal for the new curriculum. The communication is very weak at this school also, if the kids have a day off, a phone call or a memo should be sent out as a reminder but this school doesn't send out anything and mainly calls you to remind you about market day or cookie order pick-ups. There are far too many disconnects at this school to name. Do not send your child here unless you want them to fail

Lynne Thigpen Elementary School 3

Posted August 01, 2013
This was my son's first year in Lynne Thigpen and I had the pleasure of Mrs. Stephanie Hawkins to be his teacher. I was greatly concerned about his academics coming from a school in Indiana which had a better standing and testing averages than Thigpen. Mrs. Hawkins was great- she identified the areas in which my son needed improvement, Mrs. Hawkins and the schools reading (Title 1) consulars developed a plan to help my son to improve. I really like the school, the staff, and the principal they really care about the students and their education.

Lynne Thigpen Elementary School 5

Posted October 31, 2012
Ms. Gordan is a great principle and cares for the well being of each and every student. The office staff is very hands on and helpful. The teachers I have encountered truly care about teaching and helping the students and recognizing and problems. They assist with you getting the help you need to help your child succeed.

Posted January 01, 2010
There are some quality teachers at thigpen but then there are some who wonder aimlessly. I've dealt with both. The negitive far outweighs the positive in this building. I HATED that there is no official library, Art or music rooms. Lack of orginization is a major issue when it comes time for holiday programs, begining or end of school. Parking ia a nightmare at events. the bus system being run by a seperate company outside of the school district is a no no in my eyes. There are severe issues in this school acidemicly & safetly wise. After sending my children here for 2 years I decided to leave the area so they can be given a quality education. SO glad I did before it was too late, They have caught on perfecty at their new school where they are learning new challenging work every day.

Posted January 09, 2009

Lynne Thigpen Elementary School 2

Posted November 01, 2007

Lynne Thigpen Elementary School
207 South Midland Avenue, Joliet, IL  60436
Last modified Lynne Thigpen Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lynne Thigpen Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top