Bad
Good

For years we pushed and pushed to get our son extra help in several areas he was lacking to no avail. After moving to a new district it's been a night and day difference. Our son now has the support he needs and is entitled to. It's really sad to say but moving out of this district was one of the best things for my family.

If your thinking about moving in the Huntley/Lake In The Hills area and looking for schools for your children...well this is it!!! My husband got a job offer in another state and I am very sad to leave the School District of 158. My children loved Martin!!! The teachers (especially Ms. Kunde , Ms. Bueche, Ms. Gross, Mrs. Wise, and Mrs. Girmscheid) have nurtured my children into well-rounded, intellectual, and respectful children. As an involved parent at this school there are a lot of amazing teachers at this school. Martin just keeps getting better and better as each year passes. The gifted program is run by a very involved Mrs. Kuchta...gotta give a shout out to her. My daughter is in the Gifted program and Mrs. Kuchta has done wonders with the program this year! The Martin teachers are all very clued in on what certain kids need. I believe it's because the teachers and principal work as a team which makes the school a great school!!

Seriously people. My son is at Martin Elementary; has a 27:1 student to teacher ratio. Yes!! 27-1!! I have another child who is in first grade at Chesak; 23:1 ratio. They seem generally happy with school; however I can't believe they are receiving the proper attention in the classroom. I find it interesting when reading reviews on the schools promoting their low 15:1 student to teacher ratio. Why am I the only one posting such an important fact?

My kids went to Martin and had nothing but a great experience. The teachers care about the kids. I see other ratings based on one interaction with a parent and teacher over male vs female. Sad. Please focus on the quality of the teachers, overall school scores and did the kids have a good time and progress. This school gets high marks in all categories. My kids enjoyed the school and felt very safe. I found most teachers held the student accountable for their actions but are flexible enough to work with specific situations and parents. I like that the school uses PowerSchool so you can track your child's progress daily. You know what team your kids are in and what teachers are a part of that team. You can contact them fairly easily.most teachers are responsive and the best ones post homework and references so you can still get the homework even if your child is somewhat forgetful. This sets them up for success since the whole point to homework is to practice and learn the skills not punish the child for forgetting to bring it home. The principal is engaging. Any complaint of wrongdoing from a child or parent is addressed quickly. I would recommend this school without hesitation.

During a Parent Teacher 2007 meeting I asked my son's teacher when will the school begin hiring men to better mentor and serve as a teacher leader role models. The teacher responded that they "had a Math teacher" who was a man. As of this writing for the academic year 2010-11 out of about 90 teaching and administration positions at Martin, there are still no men. I am not now surprised why American boys are left behind in feminist-styled school structure.

We were forced to pull our children from this school and send them to private. This school is a disappointment!

Last modified Martin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades 3-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.