Bad
Good

This school is excellent, the best school we have ever been to so far!!! Teachers are doing everything possible to make kids enjoy studding.The school offers so many before and after school programs (FOR FREE) which means they care about our kids!!!! Teachers teach them as much as possible during the school day and give them as less homework as possible!!!!(which is excellent because half, if not more of the parents don't read/write English and even if we want we are not able to help our kids). We are having great school year so far and hoping to continue that way. My 9 years old started loving school since we moved to this school!!!

This is a great school. I was concerned about the school too. But teachers are great and my daughter love going to this school.

Like so many parents, I was concerned about the numbers (population, scores) when my kids started at this school. What I found was a hard-working, dedicated, and passionate staff committed to educating every child. Although my kids are in the minority population here (we are caucasian) I have never felt like their education has suffered because of it. The staff works to address the educational needs of all children across all levels. About to start his second year here, the principal has made many much-needed changes and is focused on improving the test scores. His success at another school in the district is encouraging to our school population.

My son is starting K at John Jay this September and I just spent the better part of this week walking through the school and talking with the teachers and am very impressed and can't wait for the next school year to begin!

Yes the ratings are lower than other schools, because the english as a second language classes. Most spanish kids are taught in the native language,while the other students are taught like the other schools. The plus is is there are outstanding teachers teaching these classes and these students are taking advantage of all neww computers, large screen tv''s and other goodies that other schools don't get. You have to meet the teachers and check out the facilities before you form an opinion. HT

My daughter has been to a few schools (the last I had to pull her out of because of how low the quality was) and this is a great one. The teachers make a true effort to challenge each child at their own level, and the atmosphere is conducive to not only learning, but learning to love school.

Last modified John Jay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.