Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I loved Cowlishaw for my family. I never would have left, had I not moved. The office staff is stellar especially Mrs. Michaels and Principal Bonomo. My children were very prepared for transitioning to another elementary and middle school because of the wonderful preparations from Ms. Morgan, Mrs. H, Ms. Swift, Mrs. Rucker and Mrs. Hillebrand to name a few.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I had to deal with this, and at the time i was livid. I wanted to deal with it the way I knew best... bring in parents and children and come up with a solution, but Cowlishaw's system was different, yet effective. My child never had another problem and even had a project with the child later in the school years.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Having a special needs child, this was very important to me. Every accommodation my child needed was met and her team worked very well with me.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I was there under 2 different principals... There was a very effective and smooth transition of power. They never let the outside see if there were any "bumps" in the road.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Cowlishaw instills a sense of pride, honor and respect in these children that I have not seen any where else.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

They are able to reach the children in a way that they can excel, no matter what level they started at.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is given out, age and skill level appropriate.

We are new to Cowlishaw this school year due to a relocation in the middle of the year. Staff is unwelcoming and some (not all) are just downright rude. I have met some really nice staff members and some not so nice. Moving to a new city where I know nothing about the school, I simply asked if someone would show me around so I could see where my child would spending his day. I was not allowed to do that. Teachers do not offer you any help. They simply talk over you and cut you off before ever hearing your request. They don't even attempt to take one second to be helpful. If you expect parents to know everything then there should be a better attempt at educating a new family when they arrive at the school. My son's Kindergarten teacher is great so far and he loves being in her class. Their academics may be highly rated, but the lack of respect and manners the staff has shown for the parents is unacceptable. The principal seems like a great guy...very friendly and always in the front of the building, as well as the office staff. This does not cross over to his teachers. Had I known the teachers/staff would act this way I would not have chosen Cowlishaw as a school for my child.

Great school with excellent staff and freindly environment

The school works together to provide the best possible education they can give to each and every student.

Last modified Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.