Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
my daughter went to this school for 4 years (K-3). We never had a good teacher each year there. Teachers take food away from kids if they deem the food "unacceptable". Her Kindergarten teacher refused to help my daughter tie her shoes stating that "I don't get paid to help dress children, we expect that they can dress themselves at this school". a few students who transferred in were stealing other students belongings (hats, gloves, jackets, books, etc) and the teacher refused to address it. One of the ranfer students pushed a first grader to the ground and stomped on her head sending her to hospital and parents were never notified, and the student was not disciplined. In fact, the girl's parents, whom we are friends with, told us that the school purposefully placed the two students together to "work out their differences". They took their child out and moved away. The principle would ask to see my ID when I was outside waiting for my child, stating that she did not know me. I would ask if she was checking the ID of every parent out side, and I was told that she knew them so she wouldn't. She did this every time she saw me!! I could go on, we have since sent her to private school.

Posted May 05, 2014
My children have been at Cowlishaw for two years. The office staff is super-friendly and the principal is involved. You will always see him outside in the morning at drop-off, and in the afternoon for dismissal. The PTA is large and organized. The teachers are awesome. Both of my children's teachers have been teaching there for 12 years +. One of my children has an IEP, and the team who works with me and for him is engaged, organized, kind and helpful. I know they have my child's best interests at heart. The kids enjoy all of their specials. If you've lived in another district, or another state, as I did, you will recognize the difference. Enjoy your time here because your child belongs to a quality school. I have no complaints. Sure, intramural sports are great, and it was sad to hear some musical instrument programs would have to be cut, but this is just a product of the times. Maybe one day they will be back. I would love to see traditions like Field Day, Student Council, and Safety Patrol come back, but I'll trade that for their quality education and loving teachers. Great school!

Posted January 18, 2014
My son was studying at this school for the three years after we moved from India. The teachers are great and very helpful. I would specially like to mention here Ms. Hillebrand, Mr. Lopez and Ms. Swift. The school has wonderful programs espscially Accelerated reading, Otter creek etc. which most of the nearby schools dont have. The correction is strict and they don't just give you marks if you are wrong. My son was there from 2nd to 4th grade and I absolutely loved their teaching methods, the strict corrections and the school environment in particular. Overall an Excellent school.

Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School 3

Posted September 09, 2013
This school does not have air conditioning and school remains closed when the temperature increases. I am wondering where my tax dollars are going. Teachers do not seem to be very friendly. My Kid is a Kinder gardener and he is having a hard time to transition to this school from a private pre-kindergarden school as he had told me multiple times that teacher scolds him. This is not the right way to deal with small kids who are just starting the kinder garden year. I am keeping a watch on this and will let the principal know if matters worsen.

Posted March 18, 2011
This is a very good school with lot of emphasis on reading and activities. The teachers are very good too. The cultural diversity is a very good thing for kids to learn about different countries, their people.

Posted March 31, 2009
My daughter has gone to Cowlishaw for almost three yeras now and I have been very happy with how everything is hanled there. It is a warm and friendly school with top notch teachers and staff who are very responsive to individual needs.

Posted February 23, 2008

Posted May 15, 2007
My daughter goes to Marylou Cowlishaw. It is a great school. They have a reading program called flooding. Which is superb. They also find out individual needs of the children and challenge them accordingly.

Posted February 22, 2007

Posted February 21, 2007
- a former student

Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School
1212 Sanctuary Lane, Naperville, IL  60540
Last modified Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Lou Cowlishaw Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top