Posted August 15, 2010
I have been a Fairview parent for 6 years. We have a wonderful, hardworking principal & teachers. My kids have made great friends & love their teachers. As a parent, you get out of your childs school how much you put in. Yes, the parental involvement is low. That's the only problem...the lack of parenting. Fairview is a great, little, hard working school.

Fairview Elementary School 1

Posted June 26, 2010
Parents, this school is a terrible environment for children. There was a teacher who actually told a child to not tell her mother things that happened in school. Just think about that alone for a moment and how that would impact a child in the future. Parents who prefer to shield their kids from more adult matters should be aware that other students are very influential with extremely adult and/or inappropriate subjects. Teaching isn't nearly challenging enough and can even hold students with the potential to skip grades behind. The things they say about this school should not be ignored because most of the time they're unbelievably accurate statements. Perhaps the only good thing about this school is the principal, Dr. Shaw. He is good-natured and relatively fair to students. Overall, I wouldn't send my dog to this madhouse.

Fairview Elementary School 5

Posted March 18, 2010
We were nervous about sending our daughter here because of bad things that we had heard about it. We are no longer nervous! Our daughter has excelled at Fairview and I find it to be an amazing environment for growth and learning. We moved away from the school for a period of time and made sure that when we came back that she was in Fairview's district.

Fairview Elementary School 0

Posted May 26, 2008
I am a teacher at Fairview School. Fairview is a wonderful place to be an educator. I appreciate the diversity and enthusiasm of the students and the parents who support our school. The parent who made the negative comment about Fairview in a previous review must have had a poor incident with the principal. He is very support of the teachers and VERY fair and kind to the students. The students love him. He is excellent with the management of discipline at our school and wants to establish very clear expectations with new students to Fairview. Fairview is getting some much needed remodeling, and this will help it keep up technology and safety. I wish the district would be committed to maintaining small class sizes, no matter what grade level. Overall, Fairview is a spirited school with an appreciation for diversity, teaching, learning, and student achievement.

Fairview Elementary School 2

Posted April 22, 2008
Fairview has it's bad reputation for a reason. Their positive discipline techniques sound good but are not used properly are used in a negative way. The children in my daughter's class are rough and the school falls below the state's average in almost all areas. I thought the Principal was wonderful at first until he started putting Kindergarteners in detention during recess time. I wish we lived in a different district.

Posted October 11, 2007
Fairview is a wonderful school, despite it's undeserved 'bad reputation'. My daughter has been there since kindergarten and loves it. Mr. Shaw has changed the whole feeling of the school to give it a deeper sense of community. The teachers are great and expect a lot of the children.

Fairview Elementary School 5

Posted September 27, 2007

Posted November 25, 2005
Quality of programs is admirable. Music and arts are rewarding and challenging. Parent involvement is high.

Posted January 10, 2005
My child has attended this school for two years and we are very happy.Some people in the community said that Fairview was a 'bad' school--I disagree.Mr. Shaw is an excellent and involved principal and we have been very satisfied with the teachers that have taught my child.My only complaint is lack of parental involvement but this seems to be common everywhere.

Fairview Elementary School
416 Fairview Street, Normal, IL  61761
Last modified Fairview Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Fairview Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.