Oak Park, IL

Posted August 28, 2013
Washington Irving is a 5 star school. Our child is now entering 1st grade and there isn't one bad thing to say about this school. The teachers are top notch, the principal is wonderful, caring & focused, the parent involvement & community feeling is fantastic. I give this public school higher marks than our very expensive Oak Park private preschool.

Posted November 28, 2012
Irving is a true hidden gem. Don't let the outside fool you. The staff are among the most dedicated I've seen. They really go out of their way to meet the needs of individual students. The principal has the well earned respect of both staff and families, which is hard to accomplish. He's turned around the school's test scores and he makes sure the school enrichment programs meet the needs of the kids, not the test scores. I know a few parents who have had to address complicated issues with their kids and they've always felt like the principal and staff heard their concerns and worked positively with them to address them. Highly recommend Irving School.

Posted May 29, 2011
Was skeptical about Irving for no reason at all, other than the fact that it's not in the wealthiest part of time. Well our son is just finishing Kndergarten at Irving and has had a great year. What an awesome school! We love Ms. Gullo. Our son's learning has skyrocketed since starting at Irving. He's reading like a champ and is so excited to go to school everyday. Really really impressed with the school.

Posted October 03, 2009
My kids love this school. Yhe school offers alot of activites in which all kids in differect grades can enjoy. The school staff is wonderful and they keep us, the parents, inform with our kids daily activites.I could go on and on about this wonderful school but I want. all and all the school is great.

Irving Elementary School 4

Posted September 19, 2009
It is very close to my house and there are lots of nice children there. The principal is very involved and they have lots of opportunities for the kids to learn foreign languages.

Irving Elementary School

Posted April 09, 2009
This school has a very diverse student and staff population. Mr. Sak, a 2nd grade teacher, is open-minded to parents' ideas about their child and his/her learning. He allows altering assignments based on the student's learning style and level. He runs a before-school reading program for students who need extra help. He goes out of his way for his students. The principal is amazing and has made significant changes in the school. The overall atmosphere is very welcoming and happy and is more like a community.

Posted February 26, 2008
Irving is more than a school, it's a community. I feel like my kids are challenged and supported. Principal Hodge is warm, friendly, intellegent and effective. The teaching and volunteer staff are committed. Parents and families are welcomed and involved. It is a wonderful school in a great community. I wouldn't want my kids to go anywhere else.

Posted November 11, 2007
My son's in his first year and he loves it...and so do we. His teacher Mrs. Cole is amazing and has made smooth the transition for him and us to public school.

Irving Elementary School 4

Posted October 12, 2006
My son is in his second year at Irving. This is a really wonderful school with a very active and involved parent community. The principal is excellent and has a real gift for choosing staff and getting everyone working together. Irving also currently is a pilot for a healthy, low fat, fresh lunch program, which my son loves. They have art, music, recess, gym and spanish. But mostly I love the community here- we felt welcome from the start and I remain impressed with the school and its staff.

Posted June 09, 2006
I've had two children at Irving School over the past nine years. Irving has a warm, nurturing environment. Teachers and administrators are very attentive to the needs of individual children, wherever they fall on the academic spectrum. The principal is caring and effective and always has a twinkle in his eye. This is easily the most diverse school in Oak Park, not only racially but socioeconomically, and it provides students with the kind of understanding and appreciation of diversity that no amount of preaching ever can. I can't recommend this school highly enough for parents who want their children to have this kind of positive experience of live in a diverse community.

Irving Elementary School
1125 South Cuyler Avenue, Oak Park, IL  60304
Last modified Irving Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Irving Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top