Oak Park, IL

St Edmund Parish School 3

Posted December 26, 2013
My child attended PK3 and was rather shy, as it was her first school experience. I found the teacher (Ms. Andrea) to be very knowledgable, but not compassionate and nurturing enough for my daughter. The ratio of 20 kids to 1 teacher, plus an aide seems too much for that age range. My child might not be the norm, as other parents say their kids are thriving there, although it is rather universally understood that the school does not practice a nurturing style of teaching and discipline. That's what disappoints me the most about this school- they are rather stuck in the old-school catholic education mentality (based on my childhood experience going to Catholic school) compared to what I've seen at my son's former school- where they were very compassionate and nurturing and engaging with the children. Overall, it may be OK for some outgoing, confident, secure 3 & 4-years-olds, but I was disappointed. They want to improve enrollment so bad, and do a TON of fundraising, but really need modern approach to teaching PK - it's way too structured for 3 & 4 year-olds. You really need to know what environment your child needs... if they need reassuring, encouragement or support, look elsewhere

St Edmund Parish School 1

Posted April 11, 2013
St Edmund is not a good school. The current principal is oblivious to what is going on at St Edmund. The teachers are mediocre and the office staff is rude. Politics plays a big role at the expense of your child's education.

Posted January 12, 2013
Saint Edmund's offers a very high level of academics with incredible diversity and nurturing faculty all in the heart of Oak Park. A most affordable pre, post school program is available with balance of play/socialization, homework and physical exercise. Student camaraderie from Pre-K-8 is positively unique. Any turnover has been for the better with current principal and faculty as top notch. From the many excellent public/ private school choices in the area, our children's social, academic progress keeps us committed to St. Edmund's.

St Edmund Parish School 2

Posted May 19, 2011
My kids were enrolled in St. Edmund's and unfortunately, the experience has not been as positive as I expected. There's been a lot of turn-over in terms of teachers and they were very slow to hire another teacher for a large class. I think the teaching style is not the most nurturing, especially with kids that may be more shy/reserved or at different developmental stages. The environment is very rigid, overly structured and focused on completing a lot of worksheets. It also becomes less diverse as you get into the upper grades and the culture of the school is not the most energetic. It feels like it's in a state of decline.

St Edmund Parish School 0

Posted March 16, 2009
I love going to St. Edmund. We get time in class to actually finish our work. We have team spirit. Plus everyone is just helpful

Posted January 15, 2009
St. Edmund is a great school for my child.The classes are small and the teahers are helpful and involed with the student's education. The classes are diverse and all the classmates get along great. St.Edmund is a great enviorment for any child.

St Edmund Parish School 4

Posted December 06, 2006
The school is a fantastic diverse mix rolled into a loving nurturing environment. I have been blessed to have my child grow and learn from the many teachers,parents and class mates who all care for the well being of each other. Everyone does their best for the children, and it shows in them like a beacon. My family has been truly blessed by having our children go to St. Edmund School in Oak Park.

Posted September 27, 2006
St. Edmund's is a unique place providing high quality, individualized education for its students. A 12-1 student-teacher ratio, a partnership with Dominican University, and a beautifully diverse student population make it a very special to educate my children. It is a warm , welcoming place. I highly recommend it.

St Edmund Parish School
200 South Oak Park Avenue, Oak Park, IL  60302
Last modified St Edmund Parish School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St Edmund Parish School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top