No rating

St Andrews Lutheran School

Private | PK-8

Living in Park Ridge

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $310,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,150.

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

St. Andrews is a wonderful school! We came to the school last year after leaving another private school and the difference is night and day. The teachers are attentive to each student, the Principal is very engaged and the religious aspect is second to none! The newly remodeled library is outstanding along with the computer lab. Our family is looking forward to many more happy years here.

Posted July 7, 2013

Great PreK teacher. Not so good after that. Some academic issues such as middle grade teaching of evolution as a myth and a slow math curriculum. Felt more rigor (in addition to/beyond text book) could have been utilized, especially with such small class sizes. Middle grades teacher correcting student at Geography Bee about Shakespeare's birthplace, "England is not a country. Shakespeare was born in the country of UK." Busy work word searches for homework. Not impressed. Not returning.

Posted April 23, 2013

We absolutely love St Andrews. We switched from a Catholic school in the area and were hesitant about the switch. Our fears and concerns immediately washed away after the first week. The PK3 teacher is incredible. The activities she does with the children are creative, fun, and educational. The kids were warm and friendly to my shy child. They have weekly updates on the kids activities (which the other school didn't) which allowed more conversation about my child's day. Also, they offer a literacy class to spend extra time on handwriting, math skills, etc. Could not be happier with our switch.

Posted January 7, 2013

St. Andrews continues to amaze me as my children are challenged academically, taught values and morals and are receiving an outstanding christian education. The school continues to add new programs geared to students of all ages including a new preschool literacy program - yep, 3 year olds are learning early reading, a fabulous music program, a sports program that allows everyone to play and even have a middle school "high school prep" course in the works. I could send my kids to Park Ridge public schools, but I'm so thankful we decided to send our kids here over 9 years ago and would recommend it to anyone who asks. All schools have bully issues to some extent . It is nowhere as bad at St. Andrews as it is at many other schools and ALL issues are looked into by the principal and are addressed with those involved. I'm proud to be a Panther Parent!!!

Posted September 13, 2012

Principal is great. Teachers are mostly average. Third grade teacher is exceptional. Strong sense of faith is experienced and modeled. Unusual amount of bullying for a small school. Majority of bullying comes from several children of the most involved parents. Academics do lag. Graduating "Honor Roll" students often need pre-enrollment remedial summer math (Maine South) or fail first quarter English (Maine East). Sports and music programs are very strong. Children with social disorders (requiring medication) who have trouble fitting in at other schools have found a home at St. Andrews. For parents interested in enrolling their child in kindergarten, for a true picture, ask (unannounced) to observe the kindergarten teacher in action for a few hours (don't just let your child 'shadow').

Posted August 14, 2012

St. Andrews Lutheran is a wonderful place to send your children!! We have 2 children who have been at St. Andrews for 5 years now. We transferred from another private school where my child was behind academically & the teachers or principal could not have cared less about my children. At St. Andrews my children are above the national average academically, & I can honestly tell you the teachers & principal not only care, but LOVE my children!!! The teachers are caring, Christian role models & teach the children to be the same. They are easily accessible when needed. They are also involved even outside the classroom, coming to my children s events outside school. There are also strong inter-school relationships among all of the grades. It starts with the older classes reading to the younger grades once a week with reading buddies & the entire school attends chapel weekly where again an older grade is the chapel buddy for a younger grade. There is a wonderful violin program & many extra-curricular activities like band, scouts, basketball, volleyball, track & field and cross country and an UNBELIEVABLE all school musical among others. We have been very happy here!!

Posted May 30, 2012

St. Andrews is a wonderful school! There are many different programs and extra-curriculars available. The class sizes are small (15-18 students average). The classrooms are supported with new technology (SmartBoards, etc). There is definitely an individualized approach present within the classrooms--students are helped when needed and excelled when appropriate. I'm not saying that there is no bullying at this school--but efforts are constantly being made to monitor and enforce consequences. Some of the "bullying" is not actual bullying, but friends having disagreements. In a recent newsletter we've recieved, St. Andrews is doing "Rachel's Challenge" for the 2012-13 school year. I'm not totally familiar with the program, but I'm looking forward to seeing the benefits. We've been very happy with our time at St. Andrews and are excited for the next few years!

Posted May 16, 2012

To say we are sorely disappointed in our time at St. Andrews is a painful understatement. The education is average, at best. Super small class sizes but many of the students still require tutoring to just get to par. Oh, but you can PAY one of the teachers to tutor after school if you like. Huge issue for me. Bullying is also a big issue here. The same repeat offenders are allowed to run rampant as family after family leave because of it. Administratively the school still remains 'in transition' & it severely impacts all aspects of the school. Having been here for 6 years now, hoping and praying for improvements have been a waste of my childs education and alot of my money. This will be our last year here, we see NO reason to stay.

Posted October 17, 2011

The school has made HUGE advancements in the use of technology within the classroom. It is encouraging to see the teachers using different methods of teaching and learning. I feel as though the administration has done a job well done with keeping their staff involved and eliminating ineffective teaching.

Posted August 18, 2011

I agree with one of the other parents - this is a good school for early childhood education, but anything upwards of 3rd grade, beware. There is a reason they are offering 50% tuition reduction for new students in 2nd grade and above.

Posted January 25, 2011

I love St. Andrews' quality education. They have a fantastic music program (band, orchestra, choir) and their all school musical is amazing - very professional and the singing is a cut above the rest. The school environment is safe and the teachers are not only caring but are great Christian role models for my children.

Posted April 1, 2010

St. Andrews is a high quality school which provides a caring Christian education with strong academics. The language arts, science, technology, and music programs are excellent. The teachers partner with the parents and are very supportive.

Posted March 31, 2010

The quality of education is excellent and I highly recommend St. Andrews. The teachers are caring and involved beyond the classroom. The parents are dedicated to making the school the best it can be. As the public schools are cutting many programs I am thankfully my children attend a school that is maintaining high standards.

Posted October 16, 2009

This is our first year at St. Andrew's and we love this school. Our children came from an academically inferior school, but are catching up quickly. The teachers are caring and go above and beyond for the students. I would recommend St. Andrew's over any Park Ridge public school.

Posted September 22, 2009

St. Andrew's is an outstanding Christian school with superior academics and a caring and dedicated staff. The parents are very friendly and have a high level of involvement in the school.

Posted September 17, 2009

St. Andrews consistently provides a good education in a Christian environment. Truly a caring staff there! I miss them after moving to Iowa. God bless that school!!!

Posted May 17, 2009

The school is nothing to write home about. We also left the school. The programs are set up for an average child. If your child needs anything extra because they are gifted or have special needs, this shcool is not able to provide the needed materials. I think the discipline is less than effective. Much happier in another school.

Posted April 27, 2009

We completed 1 school year at St. Andrews. I think this is an average school but nothing special. I have learned that many of the children do not stay past early education. They frequently transfer to Park Ridge public schools. Although the school is based in Park Ridge most of the families come from Chicago. The office staff can be less than friendly. The teacher we experienced lacked creativity. If you are considering this program, ask them about student turn over in the early childhood programs. We had a small class and about 5+ families did not come back. There were other concerns with the class room. It is not what the parents writing these reviews would have you believe.

Posted September 19, 2008

I am absolutely 100% happy with every aspect of this St. Andrews ! Every teacher is wonderful, the class sizes are kept small, and the communication is best I have ever experienced. Do NOT hesitate to send your child here, they will excel!

Posted February 18, 2008

This is our 3rd year at St. Andrews. There is a strong focus on the child as a learner/human being (without being overly zealous). Bullying is not an issue as each child is made to feel as part of the school community and therefore develops good decision making skills. Older children look out for the younger children - younger children look up to the older children. There are inter-grade friendships among the students due to common field trips/chapel buddies/extra-curricular activies. This is unheard of in the public schools where students just don't play or even 'associate' with kids in different grades. There is high parent involvement and no pressure. There aren't 'cliques' among parents as I've seen at other private schools. St. Andrews is a wonderful school where everyone is welcomed (we're Catholic) and students come from Chicago, Des Plaines, Park Ridge, Niles etc;

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Laura Boggs
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Lutheran church - missouri synod
Associations
  • ELEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

260 North Northwest Highway