Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Both my kids went To St Charles North. My son was there as a Freshman (he was admitted to IMSA and left this school ), and my daughter is now Freshmen. Living in the area for 5 years and meeting a lot of parents who have kids in this school I would like to say this is a very good school. Even though my son didn't continue in this school it is not because of the school that he left. I would be very comfortable having him in this school for all 4 years. Most of the teachers are very high skilled and motivated to teach kids who want to learn. All my kids teachers always showed positive attitude and were ready to help any of my kids with any difficult material by either creating extra learning/review sessions or just explaining any problems on one-on-one basis. Teachers are happy to give attention to kids who are eager to learn even if the kid is struggling. I have to say this area is full of spoiled kids from reach families. You will feel it and see it, but for the kid who wants to learn this school is still great. A lot of clubs and plenty of athletic activities. One thing I don"t like is the counselor that both of my kids had. I also heard complaints from other parents about him. The facility is newer compared to other schools, air-conditioned, large pool. St Charles is known for very strong swim team so kids can swim year long. The coaches are the same as for High School and they are absolutely great. Very strong emphasis on team building aspects. I like it not only because both of my kids swim but because the team made them better students (improved organizational skills) and just better human beings. Team kids friendship is very strong with great sense of community. Most of the clubs teams win everything everywhere, and if they are not taking the first place (Neuqua Valley High is beating them , if someone needs great alternative school :) ) they take 2nd or 3rd. My son misses North Swim Team friends and spirit the most being at IMSA. My daughter is not math oriented (unfortunately) but I think she is being challenged too in her own way. English teachers are phenomenal in this school, very positive attitude. My daughter cant name a single teacher that she doesn't like . She, however, sees many kids who are spoiled and are not interested in learning. This is a negative side, but "grass is not greener elsewhere"...

Develops character: Neutral

Some of the students were awful, but I'm not sure if this is the school's fault...

The good: - Excellent music and theater programs - Good teachers across the board - Great support system of social workers and psychologists - A lot of activities to get involved in The bad: - A lot of the students had really negative attitudes and/or were spoiled brats. This was especially true in average level classes. I felt like I had to take AP classes just to get away from some the negativity. - Some gym teachers pushed way too hard. This did not help me learn how to be healthier. - Abstinence only sex-ed is ineffective and makes girls feel like trash. I graduated in 2013

This place was absolutely awful. Graduate and go experience life somewhere else. There is an entire world out there and not every community is full of as many fakes as this one.

Freshman who are not naturally outgoing get lost and looked over. My child has been at North for 3-4 weeks and there is 0 support for students who struggle socially, and the kids are not nice. My child hates it, even though her grades have been consistently a 4.0

My daughter loves the school. She's in sports, peer leadership and multiple other clubs. She's very involved and enjoys going to school. I do agree with the person who said there is more emphasis on athletics than academics at this school.

This School is excellent and is most definitely one of the best schools in the nation. This is shown with it being a blue ribbon school and constantly being ranked as a top school. Having attended this school, I can say that it is absolutely great and my 2 siblings would say the same. There are of course some problems, such as the overall quality of education, teacher quality, and organization of learning, but these are not problems that are worse here than any other U.S school. In fact, I would say these issues are better at St.Charles North than 90% or more of U.S schools. Any problems stated in other reviews (such as poor special needs services, student attitudes, etc.) are not issues taken with STC North (which it is actually very good at) but with the nearby community or the organization of education in the United States in general. I guarantee you, if you are looking to send your child to school nearby, St.Charles North is the best place to choose.

Having multiple children going thru North, I can say that there are some FANTASTIC teachers who take the time to work with the students and help them understand the subject matter. Unfortunately, there are also some teachers who just shouldn't be there. They do not show professionalism nor respect when dealing with students. I have had to call out one female pe teacher on two occassions for the way she be-littled my son and he wasn't even in her class. I am a very involved parent and volunteer where I can, however, I am considering sending my youngest to another high school as I am not sure North is worth the money they charge.

I look at these reviews and most that are bad have a common theme. Either their children have special needs or they feel the environment is too competitive. All I can say is that this is an exceptional school and no school can provide and or cater to the needs of every student. I am sure and have had the privilege of using some of those special services if they are need. You get out of it what you put into it and the school district has programs for those students if they need it. You may have to drive your kids to a different location but the services are there. As far as being competitive, all I can say is wait until you see college and let s not forget the work force. The children need to be exposed to this, be accustomed to it, and take it in stride. In our brave new world competition is king. Eat or be eaten and they need to realize this ASAP. I feel the job of the school is to prepare them for real life. Protecting them from competition is no way to prepare our youth that have to compete with the youth of the world.

Disappointed on emphasis on athletics over academics and tracking of students rather than meeting their learning needs. Too many teachers sit in front of computers checking e-mail and have students "learn from each other". Why pay teachers to be there if they are not going to teach a student. No accountability for new teachers that are hired to teach courses they are not qualified for. Hard to believe this is a Blue Ribbon school.

Last modified St Charles North High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.