St George School

Private | PK-8 | 312 students

Living in Tinley Park

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $150,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $980.

Sweep tile

Posted March 19, 2014

My child has attended St. George School for six years. We are very strongly pleased. The school's new principal in 2013-2014 has revitalized the "feel" of the school. The teachers, with the principal, seem to have ramped up the curriculum to be more challenging this year but also more strongly supportive of students with difficulties. My child, like several in the class, required support. The teachers and school set up that support system for the students, where their learning is reinforced and supported, but they socially are not "marked" for needing help. My child's teacher this year is experienced but clearly enjoying the engagement of the students. We are knowledgeable about great teachers and see our child benefiting from St. George's. We also are very, very pleased with the meaningful racial and ethnic diversity of the student body and the curriculum. My child, who is not white, has never experienced once instance of racism at school and has been learning substantially about African-American and Native American history for several years now. We have experienced racism elsewhere recurringly, so St. George School is a safe place.

Posted September 21, 2013

We too were very unhappy with the principal at this school and transferred out. It was a very disturbing experience. This school and parish has been losing many people to the beautiful St. Stephen Church and other close-by private and public school. The pastor and principal were not welcoming at all.

Posted January 30, 2011

Weather your child is a star student or one that needs a little help, this small and approachable school is worth the price of admission, The teaching staff embodies the kind of student focused attitude that only small class sizes can afford. While other schools focus on only on top shelf students St. George recognizes that each student possesses individual potential. It is a small school with a big heart.

Posted June 25, 2008

SGS is for parents who are looking for a challenging curriculum. All of my children were reading real books upon completetion of PreK. Tuition is one of the lowest in the area. They have sports AND clubls for ALL students. PTL does a great job providing many extras that are not found in public schools. The Band program is excellent. The Extended Day program is safe and organized. Test scores exceded my expectations. Teachers show commitment, low turn over. The upper grades is lacking in Math, a new program will be in place for the 2008-2009 school year. Class size is small, this allows the teachers to spend individule attention. People who transfer usually do so for financial reasons.

Posted May 13, 2008

I have had children at St. George for 6 years now and it has been worth it. The teachers I have worked with , so far, have been very patient, kind and effective. The only problem I have had is with hardly anything being done to punish bullies that have been complained about over the years. IT's almost like no one wants to make waves. However, I have volunteered a lot of my time over the years, and I am serving my second term in PTL. We need more parents to step up and volunteer more often to keep this school going. It's hard on all of us, but we do it for the kids.

Posted May 5, 2008

I have 2 children at St. George School and am very happy with what they have been learning thus far. We've been at the school and actively involved for 5 years. The faculty is always approachable, the principal listens, people complain but they don't do anything about it. My kids who I would describe as average everyday kids scored unbelievabley well on all standardized tests that they have taken. Yes, I have heard that the upper level math program needs some serious help but I believe that they are working on it. A parcochial school is a place where parents need to be involved. This is not a 'private' school, this is a parish school where yes you have to practice your faith. The church underwrites the school in a big way. People need to look at all the facts. I'm happy. amen.

Posted April 25, 2008

The school is average. The math classes for the upper grades is sorely lacking. I just get a feeling from the principal and many teachers that they are just putting in their time until retirement. After moving to the public school, I have experienced a more Christian and caring attitude from the public school teachers, nurses, and prinicipal than from most teachers in the upper grades at St. George, who tend to rule by yelling, and giving out threats that the students know will not be administered. I had truly hoped and prayed that a Catholic school would provide a better learning environment for my children.

Posted November 20, 2007

Thumbs up to the principal. Thumbs up to the lovely office ladies. Thumbs up to the rectory staff (DG) Thumbs up to the rockin' English and Reading teachers. Thumbs up to the former athletic director PTL also does a ton for the school

Posted October 20, 2007

Great principal! Kids are friendly and well-disciplined. Small school environment with an emphasis on teaching kindness.

Posted October 19, 2007

I have three children at St. George School. I know that they are receiving an excellent education. The standardized test results prove it. When one of my kids was struggling with a subject, his teacher offered to stay after school to work with him one on one. At every grade level, the teachers take a personal interest. Religion is not only taught daily, it is also a common bond between the kids and teachers. St. George offers the 'total package', great education, Catholic atmosphere, discipline.

Posted July 15, 2007

we were very unhappy with the principal at St George school as soon as possable we transfered to another private school and was much happy there.

Posted February 15, 2007

I send my children to St. George and I am extremely happy with the school. The students continually test well above the national average on standardized test. Arts, computers and physical education as well as religion are taught. In most parts of Tinley Park, public school children attend three different elementery schools before moving on to high school. St Georege offers education Pre K thru 8th grade. In response to the parent who said they removed their child from St. George because he wasn't learning at the level of his public school peers I say if their child was a B student at St. George and is now in the TP public school 'gifted' program, where do you think he was challenged more? Most parents who remove their children from private school do so because the tution payments not the quality of the education. At least be honest.

Posted November 1, 2006

I had one child who attended St. George. I myself am a graduate. Now that he has started high school I can tell the academics at St. George have been above average. In addition to the normal class schedule there is also Spanish, music, computer and library. There are numerous extracurricular activities as well. My child was involved in Scouts, band, basketball, student council and volleyball. There is also before and after school care which I understand to be very reasonably priced. Parents are very involved and easy to get along with. Our years at St. George have been very positive and I will be forever grateful to all the encouragement that Mr. Weston (Principal) gave to my child and myself.

Posted October 10, 2006

Love St. George.....kids are excelling in all areas especially language arts.....standardized test scores are very high. Teachers are here because they want to be. The primary grade teachers are especially outstanding. We've had our issues just like anyone else but we've worked them out together...Perhaps homework takes a little longer than we'd like but reinforcement at home is what makes a better student. I wish there was more art but what school has the budget these days. Theres lots of sports once you get to the 4th grade. More than our public school district. Parent involvement...you see the same people at all the same events. If you choose a parochial school you choose the responsibility that comes with it. People who don't participate don't have any room to complain.

Posted October 4, 2006

The school itself it pretty good. It does lack in some areas. The principle is very good,the children love him, very open-door policy. The pastor needs to be more pro-catholic school, he cares about the parish but doesn't seem to really care about the school.

Posted September 4, 2006

St.George tuition is the cheapest Catholic school around.The only thing you don't know is they nickle and dime you to death with other stuff! If you go to a Sunday mass when the pastor is doing the gospel, guess what, you think your at a cooking class,always trying to push his cookbook. The school itself is just o.k.the math program is not up to par. Alot of the parents feel the school needs alot of acadamic updating and feels the school needs to listen to the parents more! Enrollment is down and there alot of reasons why! I know alot of parents aren't happy there, but not alot of parents want to speak up.

Posted July 27, 2006

To add to the previous entry, I currently am debating whether to take my child out of St George and moving him into the public school system. My son also gets A's & B's but I am concerned at the level of education he is receiving, after talking to parents from public schools there children tend to be learning more complex material at the same grade level as my child. I too am worried he will not be ready for high school. As for the Catholic Education St George seems to be loosing there Catholic identity, when my son first started attending the school he seemed to talk a great deal about the religion portion of school & the past few years he has stated that they dont focus much on the religion aspect.

Posted July 26, 2006

I have 3 children attending St. George School. The tuition is one of the lowest, if not the lowest of private schools in the area. The mixture of academic excellence, as seen by the results of the standardized tests, and the daily influx of our Catholic Faith was just what my wife and I were looking for when we decided to send our oldest here 7 years ago.

Posted July 4, 2006

I have 2 children that attended St George. My older child attends Marist High school and has really been struggling there, even though he received all A's and B's at St George. I do not feel that St George fully prepared him academiclly for high school. We have now taken our younger child out of St. George because we feel that he will get a better education at our local public school. It has been a year now and my husband and I couldn't be happier with our decision. He is in the Gifted program at his new school and is doing great!! St George does not have a gifted program and their acadademic program is geared towards the average student. An above average student or a student that needs extra help is really not the right child for St George. There's also a $100 fee for not volunteering there.

Posted January 2, 2005

This is one of the best schools in the south suburban area! the school itself is older and well established. They follow the same academic program that other, more costly catholic schools follow. Many of the teachers have taught for many years, they must be happy, otherwise they wouldn't be there, they could be earning more money in a public school. The principal is hands on, he is always available to a student or parent, many times he eats lunch with the students, and can be seen daily on the playground. For working parents there is extended day, 6am - 6pm at very reasonable rates. Competive sports are available from grades 4-8, and noncompetive for grades 1-3. Clubs for grades 1-8, include science, drama, art, math, spanish, yearbook, student council and many more. Our parents are not required to volunteer, we want to be involved! my child was very prepared for highschool.

Two or more races 5% N/A

Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago