No rating

Divine Infant Jesus School

Private | PK-8 | 203 students

Living in Westchester

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $178,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,250.

Posted September 24, 2013

Divine Infant is a great school. The school emphasis academic excellence and diversity. The school and the teachers have given my children a very good learning environment. The focus is not only on the student but the student's family as well. We feel part of the school family.

Posted September 23, 2013

This is school has Double AA status is my book. Amazing & Awesome. The student/teacher ratio is small. I feel that the teachers truly care about the academic needs of my children. I can reach the teachers anytime via email or phone and they are quick to reply with informative answers to all of my questions.

Posted September 23, 2013

Our family could not be more pleased with our experience at Divine Infant. The Divine Infant community is welcoming and inspirational and has become an extension of our family. The parent involvement is extremely strong and like nothing I have ever seen before. The teachers are caring and provide an environment where our children can feel safe and comfortable and where learning is fun. My husband and I are amazed at the advanced pace that our children are learning at and feel that they will have an advantage when moving on to high school and eventually college because of the instruction and experience they are part of at Divine Infant. Our children begin math, reading, foreign language and computer skills in the Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten grades. In addition to the quality education that is available at Divine Infant, our children are also given the opportunity to participate in athletics as early as Kindergarten. We are truly impressed with the quality of education, the sense of community and the support from the staff and other families and would recommend Divine Infant to any family who is interested in the best education possible for their child.

Posted September 1, 2013

My son has attended DI from PS. He is now in 7th grade. The teachers have been excellent. They are all ways available for parent questions or student help. They are also sensitive to the children's needs. When my father passed the school and church prayed for him. My son and I were very grateful. The building is old but there has been steady improvements made. This school is very family orientated I would strongly recommend it . There is a variety of extra curricular activities available.

Posted August 19, 2012

I really D.I. my children are so happy with the teachers and other childen. The teaching staff is great and really cares about the children. The sports were fun and the clubs greats!! The principal was so friendly and helpful!! Great Catholic school teaching good morals and values!!

Posted April 20, 2012

My daughter is about to finish her first year of school at DI (preschool) and she absolutely loves it. The preschool and prekindergarten teachers and aide are abundantly caring, nurturing and patient. What I like the most is that my daughter is learning while having fun and becoming socialized. That is what preschool should be. I also like that the principal and PS/PK staff work with you if you have particular scheduling needs. For example, the children that go half day three days a week don't necessarily have to go MWF. Another example... if your child is three, but not potty-trained by the start of the school year, you can still enroll your child when he or she is ready at any point during the year. Not all schools are this accommodating. The school itself is diverse and has a family-feel to it. Parents are encouraged to take an active part in their children's school experience through volunteering in the classroom and at school events. My husband and I are 100% satisfied with our decision to send our daughter to DI, and look forward to enrolling our son when he is old enough. If you live in the area, I highly recommend checking out this school.

Posted October 29, 2010

This school is phenomenal. Mr. G and his staff care about the kids. I love the fact that the teachers LUV these kids. We are so lucky to still see a school that cares about the students and how they do. The family atmosphere is the best! Thank you all at DI

Posted October 13, 2010

Students leave well prepared for demanding high school programs. The school emphasizes spiritual development as well, creating an awareness in the children that they are part of a larger picture and must do their part to create a better world.

Posted April 20, 2010

Clearly teaching and supporting the various families in the area

Posted April 19, 2010

DI has prepared my daughter for High School. Looking forward to June Graduation!

Posted April 17, 2010

Because it is a very progressive school. It tries to have a balance of music, sportsplus the basics

Posted May 1, 2009

Divine Infant is a great school if your child is average to above average and has no disabilities. The slightest disability a student may have, this school is not staffed or anatomically set up to handle. Do NOT believe what they say, they can NOT handle it! Three things you should know when your son or daughter graduates: You will need to hire someone privately to teach math, Spanish, and how to play an instrument (e.g. scales). Students coming from the public high schools will be running rings around your graduate in these areas.

Posted January 19, 2009

DI family that's where we belong to...my kids 4th and 5th grader goes there and next schoolyear my preschooler as well. I just wish we can improve the process on how we drop off our kids...parents are obliged to drop them off in the street because the main parking lot is being used for kids to line up before the bell rings and this is not good especially during winter. But overall we are happy being part of DI family.

Posted October 8, 2008

My daughter is in D.I and the school is wonderful. I plan on sending my son also next year. The staff really works with parents on issues and contribute greatly to each child. I am from out of the area but I work close to this school that is why my child attends DI. I sent my oldest daughter also 10 years ago and came back agian 10 years later!

Posted April 9, 2008

Having had our children at both Divine Infant and Westchester Public School, Divine Infant is the way to go. Both schools are good academically, but there is no family environment at WPS. You and your children are just numbers to them. Divine Infant encourages parents and families to be involved with in-school activities and many after school events. It is a very welcoming school and everyone knows everyone there. The teachers, principal and pastor make great effort to know you as a family, children and parents. Your child gets way more then the three RRRs at D I. The computer program totally outshines what is offered at WPS, the band is great, hot lunch is good (fast food at WPS), and Catholic values are practiced on daily basis. Divine Infant does have a small gym and no elevator, but fancy buildings don't give your children a solid education, people do.

Posted December 19, 2007

Divine Infant is a good school if your child is an A - B student. In other words, if your child is above average from the get-go, he or she will flourish at Divine Infant. Howeer, if your child needs extra help in some subjects, the faculty is little or no help. They always wait for the child to ask for extra help and rarely proactively offer it. So the child needs to know they don't know it to get that extra help. It really is just not a good school.

Posted April 23, 2006

If you are looking for a great place in Westchester to educate your children, take a look at Divine Infant... and then move on to the Westchester Public Schools. Divine Infant may have once been an outstanding school but that was 20 or 30 years ago. Yes, there are still some fine teachers at Divine Infant but the school lacks good leadership from both the pastor and the principal. In addition, the facilities are hopelessly outdated and parish leadership has failed in campaigns to update the facilities by building a new gymnasium or even adding ways for the disabled to access Langan Hall. The school is sorely lacking in comparison to the Westchester Public Schools in having extracurriculur activities available for students and extra assistance for those children who need it. Tour Divine Infant. Then tour the Westchester Public Schools. You can't help but notice the difference.

Posted March 7, 2006

great all around program, emphasis on academics and excelling. A myriad of extracurricular activities including music,track and volleyball. A tight community so parent involvment is high.

Posted February 25, 2005

The teachers & administration really strive to communicate & work with parents for the benefit of the kids. For instance, the kindergarten teacher noticed our son was having some fine motor skills trouble. Not enough to indicate therapy or a learning/behavioral disability, but more problems than most kids his age in learning to write. She called a staffing meeting including herself & us, his teacher from the two previous years of Pre-School/Pre-K, the principal, & two Occupational Therapists from the local school system. All these people gathered to discuss our son's strengths & weaknesses to give her ideas of methods she could use in class to help him improve his fine motor skills. We were impressed & grateful. DI also has started a school-wide anti-bullying program taught in conjunction with religion classes. This is a proactive way for the teachers & administration to show that unacceptable behavior won't be tolerated.

Posted November 17, 2004

My two children who graduated from Divine Infant have moved on to outstanding universities. I attribute part of their success to the work ethic that they learned at a very young age from Divine Infant. My oldest daughter has already vowed to send her children to D.I. when that time comes. I would never send my child anywhere other than Divine Infant.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Leonard Gramarossa
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Chicago

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1640 Newcastle Avenue