Bloomington, IN
Students enrolled: 1,745

Bloomington High School South 5

Posted March 12, 2013
I only attended this school my freshman year after moving from Kansas. It was the best school experience I ever had and I have a lot of fond memories of this place. The teachers were hands on and build students up rather than tear them down. They were very accommodating to new students and made us feel very welcome.

Bloomington High School South 3

Posted February 09, 2012
I moved to Indiana after living in Texas and moving from a 300 student school down in Texas to a 1,000 + school up here it was a great experience! BHSS is a great school with lovely teachers but the main office staff was a little out of sorts. But other than that it was a lovely experience. The classes are wonderful and very interesting.

Posted November 04, 2009
BHSN provides a great education while focusing on personal development as well. I am proud of our school system in Monroe County.

Posted October 05, 2009
The school offers high quality arts experiences for students, in addition to holding state championships in various sports.

Bloomington High School South 2

Posted May 03, 2008
In general, it was o.k. The teachers are moderately interested and the students are nice in general. But I'm frustrated at the lack of competition. There aren't any national competitions and the teachers have no idea what I'm talking about. I end up informing them instead.

Bloomington High School South 4

Posted July 24, 2006
My daughter will be a sophomore at South this fall. As a former high school teacher I'm pretty particular about her education. Overall we've been pleased. Classes are offered for a variety of skill levels. The number and variety of advanced course offerings (AP and honors) are among the best I have heard about and students may choose a very challenging schedule. Numerous extracurricular activities, fine arts, and sports are available. Given the nature of being in a college town, it's not surprising that the school does well academically and in extracurricular activities. Most teachers are really committed to their profession and available for extra help. Parents are pretty involved in athletics, band, orchestra, choir, and other extracurricular activities.

Bloomington High School South 4

Posted July 12, 2005
I think the academic programs are great at the school, However, there is a real need to update the special education help they give students. Some students need an aide in the academic classroom and that should be provided. Yes there is a lot of parent involvement but not as much as could be. Parents need to be there often and not just for conferences. Music, art and sports are very good at South High School, with lots of participation.

Bloomington High School South 5

Posted August 01, 2004
I switched from Terre Haute South HS to Bloomington HS South. It was the best decision my parents have ever made. BHSS offered many engaging courses across a spectrum of disciplines. I was even able to take an AP Literature course taught by an Oxford graduate! The new fine arts wing is more than twice the size of that at THS, the sports teams actually win most games, and the environment is safe and conducive to learning. I now attend one of among a handful of the nation's elite private liberal arts schools. I write this review as a student thoroughly disappointed with Terre Haute South and incredibly grateful to the faculty and administration of Bloomington HS South for allowing me to reach my full potential.

1965 South Walnut Street, Bloomington, IN  47401
Last modified Bloomington High School South is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bloomington High School South Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top