PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principal is uninformed. He doesn't even know his own school's policies. He shows no leadership in navigating challenging situations with students.

I would advise caution in choosing this school. My preschool son was expelled after a year and a half for inability to control impulses. We tried to work with the lead teacher on discipline techniques, and she would not entertain anything that didn't conform to her philosophy, which essentially boiled down to just talking to the child when he didn't conform to her expectations. In my estimation, 3 and 4 year old children are simply not 100% rational creatures yet. Once it became clear to the teacher that her techniques weren't working, she was quick to dismiss him. We found it very uncaring and irresponsible. The academics are wonderful, and my child thrived there academically. But not socially, which is what preschool should be emphasizing, in my opinion. There are other excellent teachers at this school.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

My 4 year old was labeled a bully and the teacher appeared to question his character when he was struggling with impulse control. The teacher was not adequately informed on developmentally appropriate behavior. Instead of working with the parents cooperatively, she expelled my son.

Supports LD students: Disagree

Although I think the Montessori method is effective for a great variety of students, this particular Montessori school refuses to modify its discipline techniques for students with different needs.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The effectiveness of the teaching varies wildly with the teacher in question and the needs of the student. Their philosophy is only to serve a narrow slice of the student spectrum.

BMS is truly one of a kind. We have lived in several cities and my older child has attended schools differing in philosophies/styles, but BMS is by far our favorite. Both of our kids (in the elementary and preschool) are flourishing here. The teachers are deeply committed and treat the children with respect and compassion. The curriculum is centered around peace and inclusivity -- we feel honored to be a part of it.

My experience with BMS started when I worked for a year as a teacher's assistant in the 6-9 (1st-3rd) classroom before returning to graduate school. The wonderful outcomes I saw there persuaded me to put my son on the waitlist for the preschool just two weeks after he was born, and now as he is finishing his second semester at BMS, we are seeing so much fruit from the teachers' patient and consistent approaches. One thing I would point out is that BMS stands out even among Montessori programs. Beyond the native virtues of the Montessori method (which is truly the way to go, especially for young children), BMS has strong music instruction and Spanish starting at age 3--taught in a way appropriate to the children's absorbent minds (not as a "foreign language" but through small-group immersion experiences like stories, games, and songs). BMS is also more "academic" than some Montessori schools; in the 6-9 classroom, children do independent research, science, weekly literature circles, and math. I saw them rapidly progress in mathematics. I saw such a range of personalities thrive, and there is no better environment for cultivating native curiosity, self-direction, and self-control.

We thought about sending our children to the Bloomington Montessori because we watched the children of parents we knew blossom into intelligent, inquisitive adults with a life-long love for learning. These children (now adults) heavily credited BMS with helping them to be who they are. After investigating the Montessori methods and researching student outcomes, we felt it would be great for our children. Each classroom has at least one head teacher that is a certified Montessori teacher with one or two assistant teachers with training in either Montessori teaching or degrees in early childhood education. The ratio of students to teachers is kept at 10 to 1 or lower. Students stay in the same classroom with the same teacher for three years so the head teacher really gets to know each child. Montessori education works best when a child starts young (3 or 4) as their natural curiosity is nurtured to increase attention span and focus. They also learn time management skills at a very young age by establishing their work plans (starting in the first grade) which will serve them well for the rest of their lives. I cannot recommend this school highly enough.

I do not recommend....questionable staff hired, who do not have adequate teaching experience, and questionable past. Not worth the money and worry.

Both of my children have attend since the age of 3. We are extremely happy with the instruction, the Montessori method and the level of high quality learning. The school offers an excellent aftercare program and summer camps. Parents are very involved.

Last modified Bloomington Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6