Posted March 11, 2014
I am sad to see negative reviews about Summit. We have had such positive experiences. It is very family oriented and the staff works hard to foster positive, strong, learning environments often with kids who don't have always have strong family situations. The teachers/staff encourage learning beyond school and they will offer up great resources for parents to use outside of the school. The report cards are mandated by the state and apparently the person who said dismissal time is chaotic has never been to an elementary school, ever. I did parent pick up for a year when my child was in Kindergarten and they never leave kids unattended nor do they allow kids to run amok. We have always had immediate response from Doug Waltz regarding issues. He is always out in front of the school before and after school and he is willing to talk or to set up a meeting to talk. All of the kids know him, give him hugs, and he knows them by name which is amazing when you consider the number of children who attend this school. Finally, at the end of the day, if you are not willing to be a strong voice/presence for your children you are not going to be happy with any school your child(ren) attend(s).

Posted January 04, 2014
I have two children currently attending the Summit and one that went their k-6. I am not satisfied with this school at all. The grading scale is completely subjective to the teacher. The principal is not easy to communicate with. The school holds back students. In K my child was provided reading material by a title one teacher and her teacher told us it was "unfair" that we were receiving additional reading material and it was to stop. Everything about this school is unorganized. I would suggest that you definitely try to avoid Summit if at all possible.

Posted December 07, 2013
Leadership, order, discipline and structure are lacking in this school. Upon dismissal, kids are left to tend to themselves, they storm out of the classrooms uncontrollably . No one is directing kids to insure they safely get to where they need to be (in terms of transportation)! Because there is no superisson during lunch,Kids share food- which is not good because the kids could be allergic to whatever they are sharing. The extended care program in very unorganized, kids just run wild, no one is helpin them with homework, they can freely open the doors- this exposes them to potentially dangerous situations! Not pleased with this school.

Posted September 03, 2013
Summit is a fantastic school with great teachers who are friendly, enthusiastic, encouraging, and intelligent! The children enjoy beautiful, state-of-the-art, sunny, bright facilities that include lovely art/music/PE/library sections. We love Star groups - the ability for my son to be challenged by separating out the kids into learning ability groups. The teachers and support staff including Mr. Waltz are easy to access, fun, friendly, and willing to help/make changes for the better. My son has excelled in this school and he loves it. Class sizes are amazing! We are proud to be at Summit and I believe there is a core group of parents/students who feel this way - quite unlike the one star rating below . Apathetic parental involvement would be my one gripe about Summit. Be involved in all aspects of your student s life and they will be challenged/not bored. If they redrew the lines for this school it has a huge amount of potential but a lack of stronger students to balance out the not so strong students.I could go on and on about how much we like Summit and the positive experiences we have over the past four years. Overall, we give Summit an A+!

Posted March 21, 2013
With 2 children now enrolled at Summit, I can honestly say I am beyond disapointed. I observe terrible leadership and uninterested, lazy, and boring teachers. My high achiever is being held back; my "needs a little help" child is not being given it. Teachers send home hours worth of worksheets each night on top of the full day of worksheets. My kids complain that all they do is worksheets, which is accurate. Classroom "lessons" are completely uninteresting and lack any attempt at making it fun so it will stick. Kids need more than: sit, listen, do worksheet, rinse and repeat...every day. The school rolled out new grading schemes at the very last minute, with teachers entirely unprepared to administer them. Teachers couldn't even speak intelligently to the new system! It was rolled out to "show growth and improvement throughout the year." Rather than WORK to show that improvement, teachers were rating all kids low, a 2, in order to show this improvement. My child s report card looked identical to everyone else s. Also, science and math rating systems were nonexistent! Teachers were forced to apply their own subjective ratings to students in these beyond-critical areas.

Posted May 07, 2010

Posted June 11, 2009
My son had just 5 when we enrolled him in Kindergarten. His teacher was Mrs L. I cannot say enough good things about the school, the staff, the programs. By Christmas, my son could read. Don't know if I should be grateful to Mrs L for being such a good teacher or just plain mad as we now have to hide all the toys receipts after shopping sprees. The building itself is coherent and clean. They offer a very structured schedule - art, library, music, PE on top of the regular academics. The staff was always very nice and patient. Mrs L is simply incredible, with the kids and the parents, she always makes the time for parents that have questions. My son had an incredible year and cannot wait for first grade!

Posted February 01, 2008

Summit Elementary School
1450 West Countryside Lane, Bloomington, IN  47403
(812) 330-2011
Last modified Summit Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Summit Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews.