Portage Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 469 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 10, 2010

This School Does Not Have Excellent teachers Strong principal/school leadership Challenging academic programs I Used To Be A Student At Portage. I Transfered To Kekionga Middle School. Kekionga Is Way Better Than Portage. Teachers Make Me Feel Safe At Kekionga Middle School. I Transfered Because I Was Being Bullied By Girls At Portage. The Teachers Never Did Anything About It. I Am So Happy With Kekionga !

Posted November 3, 2010

This school is so run down. My daughter missed 3 days of school at the begining of the year because it was so hot in the classrooms she got sick everyday!

Posted July 18, 2010

The bully system is the worst. There are fights almost daily. This school should be closed. I am so happy when I transferred my son out of there.

Posted March 29, 2010

Portage is a great school. My son is in the 7th grade and really enjoys going to school here. He's been through alot the past 2 years and Portage staff and students have been wonderful! I would definitely refer Portage over any other Middle school in FWCS.

Posted January 5, 2009

Portage is awesome. They have great rules. THey teach the kids responsibility, but also makes them feel older. They have great programs. If u had 2 choose a middle school,.... portage is the place!

Posted November 3, 2007

The teachers need to be more personable. Me and my daughter walk around the school, we passed by several staff members and not one person said hello or smiled, nothing. Their needs to more control out front after school, I've seen kids tripping one another, shoving, and wrestling.

Posted August 13, 2007

This school has some pretty cool teachers, although some of them can be strict. The school is alright over all, but I wish there would be more field trips. So over all I think this school is cool especially when we got a Kelz concert that was awesome!

Posted February 19, 2006

HI I am a student at Portage. I am in the seventh grade. I agree with most about students bulling others I would like to change that. As well our school is interesting we have lots of fun teachers who help us out with whatever problems we have and also teach us many new things that we haven't learned yet.Gym is great except the test that we have to take. I think that we need more people to be in sports that actually wants to be in the sport. Our coaches need to take it to the next leval to help us win some games. We also need more things to do after school. This paragraph about Portage is done by Christyann McNutt

Posted December 25, 2005

Im Chris N. And I like portage a lot. I just dont like most of the kids. I would have a lot better experiance at portage without the percent of kids there that dont want to learn.

Posted November 21, 2005

I am not a parenet but i am a student of portage middle school.So i should know evan better how the school is ran. I also agree that the bully busting system does not work as well as the teachers said it should work. All they do is pop in a couple movies and expect all of our problems to go away. It does not work.There are to many kids going around being bullied at this school. Also the teachers do not really help you with your problems. It seems like they are just there to get the pay check and leave. This school is not a good school to send your child if they do band or orcastra. Portage is not a very good school.

Posted August 1, 2004

Our family is happy with our school however we feel that the bully busting program is not really working. And as a parent I feel quite uninvolved with my student in the middle school years. But than maybe you really don't want interference with the goals you are trying to acheive.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 6% 4%

• Mr Michael Christner
Fax number
  • (260) 467-4497

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3521 Taylor Street