V O Isom Central Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 402 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 23, 2013

my daughter just started going to Isom this year and so far i have to say i love this school she really loves going and really loves her teacher i would tell anyone to have their kids go there its wonderful!!!!

Posted November 1, 2012

Fantastic Teachers. My kids have loved every one of them. The teachers and staff seem very dedicated to advancing the minds of the children. Would recommend the school to everyone.

Posted June 7, 2011

I student taught in Mrs. Holcroft's first grade classroom and enjoyed every minute of it. I could tell that the school's goal was to reach every child. The staff was friendly and acted like a family. I would recommend this school to everyone who wants their child to receive great education and be in a positive environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 31, 2011

I have a mixed review. I have 2 children in this school and while with my first grader I have only good things to say about the KG and 1st Grade teacher he has had. My daughter has not been so lucky. Her KG teacher seems to be at a loss and I have had to work very hard to keep my daughter on track. I love the schools office staff but I think it is hit and miss with the teachers.

Posted December 21, 2010

My daughter is a KG and a student of Mrs. Carver. I have been so impressed with ISOM's dedication and support for the children. Mrs. Carver is an amazing teacher along with her two classroom assistants. Everytime I go in the school I'm greeted by the friendly staff. I love that all of the staff is a "hands on staff". It's in a great community with such a great small town feel to it! Thank you to all who work at ISOM! I appreicate you all

Posted October 13, 2010

I love Isom because the teachers really care about the students. It is a very close-knit community, and the parents and teachers really are there to help each other out. I love the principal especially, Mrs. Wooten.

Posted April 26, 2010

My daughter Angelique is in Kindergarden at Isom And all I have is good things to say.Her teacher Mrs. Carver is wonderful, a teacher who cares about these students. Mrs. Wooton is the Principle of this school and she has been remarkable all the children seem to really enjoy her being the Principle. Since the first day of school till today I see so much growth within my daughter not just in the basic but in her attitude, her behavior, etc. I would highly recommend Isom to any new parent looking for a great school to enroll their children.

Posted February 11, 2009

Our daughter just started kindergarten this past year at ISOM. I've been beyond impressed by the faculty and staff at this school. Every morning we're greeted at the door with a smile. It seems every teacher knows every student by first name, and you can tell that the environment is warm and inviting to the kids. We've been wowed by how quickly our daughter has been learning.

Posted November 30, 2008

We have two daughers at Isom and we love it. Both my daughters are involved in various Isom activities and the teachers are wonderful. My oldest daughter has Celiac disease, and the teachers, principle, nurse down to the art and gym teacher have been absolutely wonderful handling this challange. We love Isom and will contiue to show our support toward the school. Our oldest was to go to Westwood, but we moved into Isom land. Evrything is so personal and teachers know you and your child by name. I would recommed Isom to anyone.

Posted April 6, 2008

2007-2008 has been the first that we have had a child in school and Isom is wonderful. The front office staff are very helpful and nice. Mrs. Prewitt always has a smile on her face and know kids by name. My son's teacher, Mrs. Carver is a delight. She has helped my son through some rough times. Isom is the school district that you want to be in. We love Isom!

Posted August 16, 2006

I have had two children at isom. This is very sad because over the last few years I have really enjoyed this school,staff, and parents. This school is wonderful if you spend one day youll know why we all love VOISOM so much.

Posted February 8, 2004

I have 2 children that go to VO ISOM School and both are doing very well because the teachers are very caring and involved. The Principal is also very involved with the hands on day to day activities involving the school. I see her almost every time I go there, not in her office, but in the classrooms, library, lunchroom etc. involved in the normal daily school activites and learning. You couldn't ask for a better group of teachers. They are not only teachers, but mentors, nurturers and are good listeners when the children need them. I would recomend this school to any parent!

Posted October 6, 2003

I really like the quality of the school. The principal and the teachers are very caring, supportive to each child. My daughter not only lovers her school, but is very is happy to go every morning. What more could you want? I would like to say thank you to all the staff for being so very wonderful. I recommend this school to any parent who is considering a move to the area.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 6% 4%

• Mrs Sondra Wooton
Fax number
  • (317) 889-4115

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now