Indianapolis, IN
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Nora Elementary School, located in the Metropolitan School District of Washington Township (MSDWT), is situated in the northern section of Indianapolis, Indiana and Marion County. It is a dynamic community with broad diversity in cultures, religions, ethnic groups, races and socioeconomic levels. MSDWT has been an educational leader in Indiana for the last forty years. We hope that beyond this website, you will visit the Washington Township website at http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/ where you can also access the Nora Elementary School website, and every website of each of our seven elementary schools, three middle schools, and North Central High School. Beyond our websites, we hope that you will plan a visit to any one of our schools, and see first hand why Washington Township are superior schools, in a supportive community. Nora Elementary School offers a comprehensive educational curriculum with special activities and programs geared to provide enrichment, exploration, and instructional support for students. Parents have always played an active role in the operations of the district and each school in Washington Township furnishes a Parent Center to accommodate parents visiting the school. MSDWT's flagship high school, North Central High School has the finest high school curriculum in the State of Indiana. It annually produces the highest number of students taking Advanced Placement exams and scoring high enough to earn college credits. North Central High School was the first high school in Indiana to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. The high school also offers programs that allow students to earn the North Central Academic Honor Diploma and the Indiana Academic Honors Diploma. MSDWT provides excellent opportunities for students to participate in outstanding performing arts, fine arts, academic teams, publications, athletics, and other student activities. North Central High School has the distinction of being Indiana s number two high school in the number of Indiana athletic championships. The MSDWT provides quality education in award winning schools built on a foundation of outstanding educators, administrators, school board members, and supportive parents. Our vision is Superior Schools in a Supportive Community. Come and experience tomorrow today in our school district.
December 15, 2014

Posted November 16, 2014
Our daughter went to Nora from K-5, and every year was very good, most years were excellent. Nora is a widely diverse school with a high percentage of recent immigrant/refugee children who are learning English. I believe this is why the school's standardized scores are relatively low, but that is NOT the full story. Our daughter had friends from different cultures, and she had GREAT teachers! She has some learning disabilities (language decoding challenges for you reading specialists) and so once we got a handle on the issues and could speak knowledgeably with the administration, our daughter got tremendous support. Once she got to Middle School, she was able to let go of all the supportive services and continues in all Honors Classes, plus orchestra. The experience at Nora helped shaped my daughter to be one who loves learning and is comfortable with students of different backgrounds--across town or across the world! She learned to persevere through her own struggles and focus on what she needs for herself in a bustling school environment. Great preparation for life.

Posted November 15, 2014
Nora is an amazing school. As a parent who works in education, I am constantly impressed with this school. The teachers and administration care deeply for all students. Parents are encouraged to be involved and welcome at all sorts of events. I was initially nervous about Nora, unsure what the school grade really meant, but decided to give it a chance and am so glad I did! I have two students at Nora and have never considered other schools since starting there. I appreciate the diversity of the school. I love that it is an IB school. The teachers are rock stars. And I cannot say enough about the administration. There is clear support from the district as well as it is a district led by an amazing and brilliant superintendent.

Nora Elementary School 2

Posted November 15, 2014
I have had good times and bad times with Nora Elementary. I have had two kids complete and one still attending. I am not sure if i will send my next child there and have thought of pulling one of thr older ones several times. Oldest had no problems except one and that's when he was chased down by a stranger in the parking lot after they locked the doors when the buses were dismissed. Academic ly they did wonderful by him. My second struggled hard and he graduated feeling glad to leave. My third hasn't had many problems. I think the problem is mostly with silent lunches and the lack of support when having a problem with how some things are handled in displinary manners. If your a foreign student, you will get all the things to need to be successful. An average English speaking child is often over looked and nearly given minimal attention. I wished things would have gotten better but I have been involved with Nora for 12 continual years. It hasn't gotten better. I have known too many parents who have pulled their children and requested other Washington township schools because above mentioned.

Posted November 14, 2014
Nora Elementary has provided for both of my children's needs and more. Initially making the decision to send our children to public school was difficult, as we had planned on private school. However, our daughter needed extra help in her classroom. She's been given support and an environment where she succeeds and contributes, feels confident in her abilities, and loves school and learning. IEP meetings are not combative, but collaborative, and reinforce our decision to attend Nora. My son has taken a much more typical path and has not needed much additional support beyond articulation. School comes easy to him and his teachers have always been aware of and willing to push him and tailor his work to his level beyond that of many of his peers. The administrators are engaged and solely dedicated to the children. State grades do not even begin to tell the story of a school, and if you are considering Nora Elementary, please see the work and quality education happening in the building. It is an excellent school and deserves to be regarded for not only the skills of the teachers and staff, but for the sense of community it provides and the relationships it fosters.

Posted November 10, 2014
Nora has been an amazing school for our family. We have twin daughters, one of whom is enrolled in the Life-Skills program, and we have been nothing but pleased with the education they are receiving. The leadership, teachers and support staff are dedicated and strive for excellence on a daily basis. They have been there now for almost 3 years and we couldn't be happier. The diversity is an invaluable asset and implementing the IB Program into our daily lives is helping us to create well rounded children.

Posted November 09, 2014
My daughter started at Nora in Kindergarten and is now in the 4th grade. She has had a great experience thanks to really good teachers, supportive staff and a positive environment for learning. She has had several opportunities for enrichment that have kept her challenged and built her confidence. I am very pleased with the experience she has had at Nora.

Posted February 10, 2014
Nora is an amazing school. My child attended Nora for two years before we moved out of state. It was hard leaving Nora as the Principal Mrs. Zybert created such a nurturing and loving building for kids to walk into everyday. In addition to having some amazing teachers Nora has a very diverse student population. Loved that my child got to hear 28 different languages spoken daily by his peers at school. Learning to respect, appreciate, celebrate and love all people is one of the greatest lessons of our time. I am thankful Nora embraces this understanding and celebrates and uplifts all students and families. They have some amazing teachers that had my son excited and ready to run to school every morning. As a parent you can only hope that some of the first teachers your child will ever have will nurture, encourage, inspire and light a flame for seeking knowledge endlessly. This happened for both of my sons at Nora, one whom is currently 19 and my youngest whom is 9. I love Nora and when living in Indy it will be my first school of choice for my son.

Posted October 15, 2011
Maybe it's because i'm from the inner city and had to scratch and claw just to get a decent book but I feel Nora has been a good place for my kids and they love Nora. The teachers and staff want to work with kids and get them the basic knowledge they need to solve problems THEN get to more advanced stuff if all the kids have complete understanding of what they are doing. Once that is done then the are off to learn something new and incredible. I love to see my children come home and be excite about what they learned at Nora.

Nora Elementary School 2

Posted April 30, 2011
My daughter is currently in Lawrence Township and I am so glad she is. She attended Nora last year for Kindergarten and we had so many issues. I'm not sure exactly what the issues at that school were, but it seemed as if the principal wasn't worried about the academic needs of the students. My daughter's teacher was inexperienced and didn't have any patience for children. Last year in April, we ended up transferring my daughter to the ELC at Mary Castle. I wish we would have done it sooner. The teacher was wonderful and my daughter got along with her so well. Overall my experiece at Nora was horrible and in my opinion, they were more worried about money than about academics.

Posted October 18, 2009
I can't believe my son gets to have the same Kindergarten teacher that I had. I still cherish the memories of our great school.

Nora Elementary School
1000 East 91st Street, Indianapolis, IN  46240
Last modified Nora Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nora Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top