Jeremiah Gray-Edison Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 658 students

We are best known for high expectations for students and staff

Sweep tile

Posted August 2, 2013

this is my son's 3rd year at Jeremiah Gray-Edison. He is thriving in his classes. The Teachers are amazing.

Posted August 1, 2013

Jeremiah Gray Edison, is a great school, but the teacher;s are what makes it so special . They really care about the students and always have their best interest @ heart.

Posted May 8, 2013

On the very first day of my daughters' Kindergarten year, the teacher put my daughter on the bus despite having a conversation with her asking that she not be put on the bus the very first day. When her father went to pick her up from school, she was not there. When I called the school while at work to ask why she was put on the bus after distinctly having a conversation with her teacher not to do as such, I was blamed for not following procedures and protocol by the principal and secretary of the school. If there was a certain protocol to follow, how am I to know if the teacher does not tell me? Additionally, I asked to sit down with the teacher and principle and the teacher refused to address my concerns. She would only talk to me over the phone. I felt that there was no care in how we felt about what had occurred. We were frightened, as well as our daughter. They refused to call transportation to make sure that she wasn't dropped off at home without a parent present. It was a big mess. They were very rude to us. Additionally, they seemed very unorganized because they lost my daughters enrollment packet and immunization record 3 times over the summer.

Posted April 14, 2011

Awesome school! One of only two four star schools in our district (both Edison schools) and we may lose it if the referendum doesn't get passed in our district. Sad situation as two of my children have already graduated, but I have one child left who is 1 year away from graduating. If this referendum doesn't get passed she may not be able to graduate from the only school she's attended since kindergarten! The teachers are excellent and there is a lot of parental involvement. This is due to the great job Ms. Fox and her staff do to contribute to our children's education. I wish all schools did as great a job and we wouldn't have a lot of the problems we have in our schools today. JGE is the place we want to be and to keep! Please Vote Yes for Perry Schools!

Posted September 21, 2009

I love my school because we have a wonderful TEAM of parents, teachers, staff and administration that all work together to benefit our students, children and school!

Posted March 26, 2008

My expierence with JG-E so far has been excellent. Very good school!!

Posted October 23, 2007

I had three children attending this school last year and now only have one there currently. In my opinion if you have a child in Special Education you may not want to send them to this school. Very poor Special Education staff and way of teaching special education students. Mainstream children do really well but special education students do not. Submitted by a parent

Posted October 21, 2007

my son started kindergarten the year this school opened. we couldn't be happier with this school. not only do the teachers provide specialized instruction to struggling students, they also get students involved who need a challenge over and above the normal curriculum. i highly recommend this school!

Posted August 29, 2007

I have 3 sons 2 of them had/are attending JGE. We've also been in other Indianapolis and Madison County school districts and from what I have seen, JGE is an excellent school that teaches core values and they have excellent communication between the teacher and parent. I am a volenteer in my sons class. I observe and listen to the kids and from what I see and hear, they all like their teacher and school a lot. I would highly recommend JGE to any parent without hesitation. ~Proud JGE parent~

Posted August 29, 2007

Jeremiah Grey is the best school ever!!! I have never seen a school more dedicated to the students and the parents! My daughter is a Kindergartner and she loves it!!! Every day is my daughter wakes up she is excited to go to school!! She loves her special classes and her teacher is the best!! I woud and have recommended JGE to everyone that I have meet with children! It would be nice for some of the other schools to have the same values that JGE has, which is very hard to come by!!! The principal Mrs. Fox is just truly amazing!!!! I can not say enough great things about her, I am so glad that she is the new principal!!! I could go on and on about how wonderful JGE is, but you will just have to go there and see what all the fuss is all about!!! JGE Rocks!!!

Posted August 28, 2007

Even if I had twenty years of experience and hand picked the top teachers and staff from Indiana, I would have a difficult time beating what is already the status-quo at Jeremiah Gray. I have four children and have seen many different elementary schools in Indianapolis area. This is by far the best! I can not say enough to help endorse this school other than...experience this yourself! Go visit, and be sure to talk with the principal Mrs. P-H!

Posted June 4, 2007

The school administration would get a negative rating if that option were available. Very poor ethics. The teachers are of average quality for a public school. We have a special education child & a mainstream child attending.

Posted January 13, 2007

I have read previous posts and believe JG-E is an excellent school for the average student, however their program, as implemented, leaves much to be desired for the special education students. I have a child with autism and have found the staff under trained, and in flexible about trying proven techniques for working with children on the spectrum, which is contrary to the Edison design. This is still a public school and my child has just as much right to have access to the wonderful programs offered as children not on the spectrum. The Edison cirriculum professes to differentiate the program to each student but at this school that is not put into practice very well. This school has the potential for greatness, therefore I choose to keep my children in this school and work within the school to improve the program.

Posted November 3, 2006

I think that this school is great. I have 3 children that go here. My son went to another school for 3 years and his reading grades were not to good. He started this school in the third grade and they noticed his problem in 2 weeks. All my kids love the school. The staff is great JGE is the place my kids want to be.

Posted May 27, 2006

The standards and expectations are high at JGE. While it is not a private school, the individualized attention has been remarkable. Under the guidance of Mrs. P-H, Mrs. Fox and the entire staff - one could not hope for a more compassionate and encouraging group of people to guide their children to success! I have been the proud mother of 3 at JGE since it opened and I have had ample feedback, timely resolutions to problems and the academic progress has been outstanding! They (the staff) can motivate like no other! No, it is not a school for those expecting 'average', it is a school that promotes above-average thinking, responsibility and achievement.

Posted May 1, 2006

I've been very pleased with this school. It's my daughter's 1st year and she has grown/excelled there. I believe the Edison concept of teaching prepares kids much more thoroughly for future grades and it's my understanding the middle school already needs to increase its standards to challenge the Edison graduates. Edison requires a lot from its students (and parents), but isn't that what all schools should be doing to ensure the success of our children? As with any school, some children will struggle more than others depending on the subject being taught. I have found my daughter's teacher and the aministration at JGE to be nothing but helpful/ responsive to any concern I may have re: my daughter's education. I've never had the communication problems mentioned in other posts. I'm very happy. I just wish there were plans for an Edison middle-school to continue this wonderful experience for our children!

Posted June 29, 2005

Wow! After reading some of the other reviews, I'm a bit concerned. My sons have been atending JGE since it opened. Never have I had the problems discussed by two of the previous posters. (BTW- Laptops don't go home until 3rd grade and you must take a class first!) As with ANY school, occassionally there are some miscommunications, but never to the level suggested by the others. I have had the opportunity to serve as chaperone and as an extra-curricular helper multiple times in the building. Being a teacher in a rival district myself, I cannot comprehend the energy level that the teachers and staff of JGE bring to class EVERY DAY. They are amazing. My son with special needs is impoving greatly each year. My 'peer normal' child is one of the tops in his class- in part because the program is designed to challenge him. (Out of space.)

Posted February 4, 2005

This is the best school around!! My daughter has been in this school for 3 years now and I have been very pleased. GREAT communication by the teachers! They focus on the basics and the extras! Her teachers have gone ABOVE and BEYOND with helping her with her individual struggles. I am very pleased! The teachers, administration, children and parents always seem to be so happy here. If you can get your child in you will not be disappointed.

Posted November 10, 2004

My child went to this school the first year it was opened. My child was in need for extra help, (Math, Reading) which they denied her, than told me to medicate her instead. I thought the uniform idea was good at first, until it became so strict it was hard to find what the children had to wear. I went to the teacher several times for help. We divised a plan to use a folder to exchange information about school and homework. I sent the folder the next day, but didn't not recieve it back for two months. I continued to try to get help for her, from her teacher. my daughter was tested. The tests showed she was more than half below average. They said until she was in the special education catagory she would not qualify for special help. Basically they pass failing students, and don't care.

Posted November 10, 2004

This school is horrible when communicating with the parents. For a week my child was counted late. I did not know that the times school started for 3rd grade was different than 2nd, which was what she attended the year before. I gave the school an address change two times in writing over a year ago, they still are sending mail to the wrong place? Infact I did not learn the dates school started last year until four days before, from the local grocery store. They expected a parent to spend half a day away from work to learn how to use their computers. They send home a thousand dollar laptop with a second grader, that you are respondsible for. On top of that they are a public school trying to run like a private school, setting strict rules for young kids. This is the worst school I ever dealt with.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Asian 5% 2%

Special education 14%N/A14%
English learners 10%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Indiana 4 Star School (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:40 p.m.
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Ms Elizabeth Fox
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (317) 789-4309

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Spell Bowl
  • Television/Radio News

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School colors
  • orange, blue
School mascot
  • Bulldog

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Southport 6th Grade Academy
Southport Middle School
Southport High School

5225 Gray Road
Indianapolis, IN 46237

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download