New Community School 5

Posted April 28, 2014
I choose NCS becasue they offered full day kindergarten, art, music and field trips. My son stays (now in 4th grade) becasue of the small classroom size, the excellent teachers and the feeling of community. He is allowed to be expressive and creative while learning all the valuable tools he will need in the future. He is learning spanish and art right along with STEM classes. He is excelling at NCS!

New Community School 1

Posted February 20, 2014
My child has attended NCS for 4 years. Each year the school has failed to pass state minimum standards and failed to help my child grow academically quite miserably. The school is more concerned with social agendas than actual learning. Founded on the Dewey system of learning only gifted self-starters should even consider attending. This school is a failed experiment that should not have tax dollars continue to support the misguided efforts of a staff that is clearly not capable of handling this huge responsibility of educating our children.

New Community School 3

Posted March 21, 2012
We had great expectations for this school, and the staff exceeded those for several years. Sadly, as a result of staffing and administrative changes, our hopes have been dashed. Special education staff seem to have their own agenda, which is often counter to what students need, and a new administrator is cutting 7-8th grades, which is leaving many kids without an option to attend next year, even if they want to return. Instead of growing enrollment, the school is significantly cutting enrollment for next year. While the intention is to return to one building, the move is not fair for older kids, who will no longer be part of the equation. The school's philosophy is indeed very progressive, and although some teachers still live up to that, I fear that the sense of community and individuality that my children found for several years there is now gone.

Posted December 01, 2011
We have found that this school is a very good alternative to the other offerings in the community. We have experienced what is considered a "great academic school" but at what cost is this pressure on young chldren? Instead of watching our child beg not to go to school at the first school, we see a joyful learner who not only loves school, but actually shares with us what learning is going on in the classroom. My only faults I have with the school at this point: 1) is the split locations 2). I also agree with the clique situation with parents who do a lot for the school. However, I have seen that at just about every school I have experienced. The teachers are very friendly but I have little to no contact with administration. This school HAS to get out of this multi location situation. I anticipate a change with the new director in January. Hopefully this new leader can get through that roadblock that has prevented the move up to this point. I also think once the move is made, enrollment will be at the 350 max. very friendly but I have little to no contact with administration. The soon to be change of leadership is anticipated. The school HAS to get out of this mult

Posted September 01, 2011
I love the teachers in this school! I feel they work hard with the children that attend and help each child feel important and succeed. I couldn't ask for more. As far as the principal leadership... I think there is work to do. Not all children are treated equal as far as disipline and there is favortisim do to children who have parents whom work for the school. I think that needs to be looked into and It shouldn't be an issue other children should have to worry about.

New Community School 5

Posted April 11, 2011
I have 2 children who have graduated the school and moved on to one of the most challenging academic environments and they are doing fabulous. They have adjusted socially, have made honor roll, they are playing sports and are involved in clubs and student council. They are succeeding due to the foundation they received at New Community School. They are happy, well adjusted and confident.

Posted March 10, 2011
this school has changed my son's life. He has received an individualized education. He loves school and I love that I always know what is going on and am always welcome in his school

New Community School 3

Posted May 25, 2010
The school itself is wonderful and they do learn more in the arts and music. But, leadership is lacking. The director is wonderful at maintaining the charter and is very focused on her staff. She doesn't seem to get along very well with the students or the parents that disagree or have frustrations. The adminstrative staff has their hands tied with what they can and cannot do. There really needs to be a person in place that doesn't deal with the charter and can listen to the parents with an unbiased opinion to be able to serve the school and families better. It is also very clickish with some of the older families and those that have been around or do a lot for the school.

New Community School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
Enthusiastic, dedicated, creative teachers inspire students to learn!

New Community School 0

Posted September 05, 2009
I feel that the school is not living up to its defined goals. In the last year it has nearly doubled in size, and split into to locations. But in the process it seems to have lost sight of its reason for being. Discipline has gotten irrationally strict, programs such as the gifted program never had a meeting. Although the school has talented parent base, and promotes volunteerism, it is nearly all fundraising. Parent input is rejected by the director. The sense of Community is primarily among a small group of long-time staff/parents. Many of the teachers are terrific. But the guidance by the director and board is very weak. Although the school uses the Responsive Classroom philosophy, there is never any real discussion of its tenets, in any meetings/newsletters, etc. The school needs to reevaluate why it exists, if it is just to grow or to educate creatively and effectively.

New Community School
1904 Elmwood Avenue, Lafayette, IN  47901
Last modified New Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
New Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.