Bad
Good

We are about to start our 4th year (2016) at New Community School. I now have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader attending. I love the school and my children are developing into engaged, confident learners. The school calmed all of the anxieties that I had with the BIG public school in our district. They have smaller class sizes. There are 3 recesses for the elementary kids. There is minimal homework. The school has a garden and greenhouse. Parent involvement is warmly welcomed, and family friendly (I always brought along my two younger children). The school has it's challenges. With being so small there are budget shortages. I try to pitch in and help out wherever I can. As long as my children are doing well and love learning, this is the place for us.

I choose NCS becasue they offered full day kindergarten, art, music and field trips. My son stays (now in 4th grade) becasue of the small classroom size, the excellent teachers and the feeling of community. He is allowed to be expressive and creative while learning all the valuable tools he will need in the future. He is learning spanish and art right along with STEM classes. He is excelling at NCS!

My child has attended NCS for 4 years. Each year the school has failed to pass state minimum standards and failed to help my child grow academically quite miserably. The school is more concerned with social agendas than actual learning. Founded on the Dewey system of learning only gifted self-starters should even consider attending. This school is a failed experiment that should not have tax dollars continue to support the misguided efforts of a staff that is clearly not capable of handling this huge responsibility of educating our children.

We had great expectations for this school, and the staff exceeded those for several years. Sadly, as a result of staffing and administrative changes, our hopes have been dashed. Special education staff seem to have their own agenda, which is often counter to what students need, and a new administrator is cutting 7-8th grades, which is leaving many kids without an option to attend next year, even if they want to return. Instead of growing enrollment, the school is significantly cutting enrollment for next year. While the intention is to return to one building, the move is not fair for older kids, who will no longer be part of the equation. The school's philosophy is indeed very progressive, and although some teachers still live up to that, I fear that the sense of community and individuality that my children found for several years there is now gone.

We have found that this school is a very good alternative to the other offerings in the community. We have experienced what is considered a "great academic school" but at what cost is this pressure on young chldren? Instead of watching our child beg not to go to school at the first school, we see a joyful learner who not only loves school, but actually shares with us what learning is going on in the classroom. My only faults I have with the school at this point: 1) is the split locations 2). I also agree with the clique situation with parents who do a lot for the school. However, I have seen that at just about every school I have experienced. The teachers are very friendly but I have little to no contact with administration. This school HAS to get out of this multi location situation. I anticipate a change with the new director in January. Hopefully this new leader can get through that roadblock that has prevented the move up to this point. I also think once the move is made, enrollment will be at the 350 max. very friendly but I have little to no contact with administration. The soon to be change of leadership is anticipated. The school HAS to get out of this mult

I love the teachers in this school! I feel they work hard with the children that attend and help each child feel important and succeed. I couldn't ask for more. As far as the principal leadership... I think there is work to do. Not all children are treated equal as far as disipline and there is favortisim do to children who have parents whom work for the school. I think that needs to be looked into and It shouldn't be an issue other children should have to worry about.

I have 2 children who have graduated the school and moved on to one of the most challenging academic environments and they are doing fabulous. They have adjusted socially, have made honor roll, they are playing sports and are involved in clubs and student council. They are succeeding due to the foundation they received at New Community School. They are happy, well adjusted and confident.

this school has changed my son's life. He has received an individualized education. He loves school and I love that I always know what is going on and am always welcome in his school

The school itself is wonderful and they do learn more in the arts and music. But, leadership is lacking. The director is wonderful at maintaining the charter and is very focused on her staff. She doesn't seem to get along very well with the students or the parents that disagree or have frustrations. The adminstrative staff has their hands tied with what they can and cannot do. There really needs to be a person in place that doesn't deal with the charter and can listen to the parents with an unbiased opinion to be able to serve the school and families better. It is also very clickish with some of the older families and those that have been around or do a lot for the school.

Enthusiastic, dedicated, creative teachers inspire students to learn!

Last modified New Community School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.