Bad
Good

Iddings is a great school with great teachers. The only problem I had is when trying to get a copy of my son's final report card. They wanted me to pay for it at first which wasn't a problem, but when I mentioned it was for Pop Warner they tried to deny me access to the report card. All of a sudden they couldn't print it out, and I was told that they do not give copies of report cards for Pop Warner. After mentioning that I would be back with an attorney it was magically printed out and ready for pick up.

I am very pleased with Iddings Elementary school. A year ago I pulled my child out of a charter school, because I felt that the school's academic standards were poor. My daughter started first grade last year with a new teacher, who had just moved down from teaching fifth grade. My daughter really struggled with reading and the teacher really worked hard to bring her up to grade level. I was so impressed with the teacher's dedication in trying to help my child. My daughter is now reading at grade level , and she is doing well in second grade. I think Iddings is a great school and everyone is very friendly.

I am not very pleased with this school. I agree with some of the other parents, education is not a top priority. When my son started in Kindergarten, he had a great teacher- she communicated with the students and learning was easy and fun, because she was personable. This year, I have one of the worst 1st grade teachers-she came from teaching 5th grade and well, she has doesn't relate very well with the students. My son was reading at a 2nd grade level in kindergarten and now, because he is not challenged, he is stagnate. The communication has DEFINITELY dropped since last year. I am looking to transfer my son to another school, so that he can excel again. Let me add, his grades haven't dropped, but he is just bored and starting to hate school because all they do is work and discipline stuff related to behavior. I wished I had know about this site earlier.

I moved to Merrillville Indiana from another state. I have two children in the corporation and am very pleased with the curriculum that is being taught. Children will only do as well as their parents support and encourage. The teachers at Iddings are dedicated to children's education. It becomes difficult when behavior of students cause others not to learn. We as parents need to be more supportive of the school and the corporation. If Merrillville were such a poor corporation, why did the high school valedictorian get a full ride scholarship to Princeton University? Iddings, Merrillville... keep up the good work.

We as parents get out of school and our children what we put into them. The Merrillville school system has always been an assest to my children. There is nothing wrong with the academic standards at this school. I think that the staff at this school is excellent. And I want to send my thanks to the school principal for doing an excellent job for the past 8 years my children attended iddings school. You will always have 1 or 2 people in every school system that makes that school look bad, but you can always rest assure that the good always overcome the bad.

All I have to say about Merriilville Community Schools is Thank Goodness that there will be a New Charter School opening in 2011. Finely, a viable alt. to our failing public schools. When the Heritage Academy of Arts & Technology opens it's door for the new school year, my kids will be the first in line!

I agree with the majority of the other parents.My family is new to this state, no one at the school (not even the secretary) took time to explain things.The academic standards do not meet those of the school which my chid came from.When I asked about my child being challenged, it was addressed with disregard.The teachers do cover up when they are wrong.They focus so much on discipline,very militant, and systematic as if they're not dealing with children but robots-if they focused more on educational enhancement I think it'd be okay.Wish I'd known about this site before enrolling my child because now I'm looking for a different school.If you're considering Iddings, first try Sauk or a private school.

Last modified Homer Iddings Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.