Posted May 04, 2014
I have sent all of my children to this school this school has a A from the state it is absolutely wonderful, this school is the only Merrillville community elementary school that offers honor classes which my children have and are in. They have a no tolerance for bullying. The teachers here work with your children so that your child can be the best they can be. My son comes home every day estactic to tell me what he did. They teachers also work with parents so that not only can your student do good at school but at home as well. I'm thankful for this school. This school is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Posted February 11, 2014
This school deserves accolades for being one of the most diverse schools to win blue ribbon in the high achieving school category. The School is a perfect example of what can be achieved when staff, parents, and administration work together!!

Posted September 26, 2013
This is a great school very happy that my child is well rounded. They have kept my son motivated to learn and he is doing great in school.

Posted June 01, 2013
I cannot say enough about the the teaching and administrative staff at Salk. My children have received a fantastic multi cultural education, which is laying the foundation for a great future. Our principal, Ms. Bonin, has been a great leader and we look forward to having her lead the entire primary education system in Merillville, the entire community will benefit from her vision, leadership and team building, all focused on making sure our children get the best educational opportunities possible. My children are eager to go to to school and will be the beneficiaries of their time at Salk for many years to come. Thanks to the entire team. Curt Hildebrand

Posted November 10, 2012
As a teacher for the past 42 years and a teacher educator for the past 37 years, I have been - and continue to be - involved with many schools. Salk is among the most successfully committed to education's mission that I've seen. As a parent of a daughter in second grade at Salk, I am completely satisfied with the school's quality. From principal Kara Bonin's and the staff's warm personal greetings on our first visit when my daughter entered kindergarten until now, the Salk experience has been inviting, highly effective, and encouraging. We have become members of the Salk culture, resulting in a remarkable sense of community which has maximized our daughter's academic and social potential, promoted her positive self-concept, significantly enhanced her independence, and inspired her self-advocacy. The teachers respect each child's dignity and individual differences. The school-wide investment in each student's current and future success is uplifting. Salk creates a community of learners, which is a district-wide goal that consistently translates into excellence. I am convinced that our daughter's life has been forever touched and her future is brighter. Tom Mihail

Posted November 10, 2012
The special education program is one of the best I have ever witnessed. The staff goes the extra mile to ensure safety for everyone and incorporates a multitude of educational tools in their lesson plan. The special education team is top notch!! The primary special needs teacher and her paras are caring, kind, and always involved in each child's education plan. Parents are encouraged to be involved and never turned away. I highly recommend this classroom and have see great progress in the students who are in this program. Keep up the fantastic work ladies!!

Posted November 09, 2012
My son is in first grade at Salk School and I can not say enough about what a wonderful education he has received so far. When he started Kindergarten he was a beginning reader and now he is a tremendous reader and we are are only one quarter done with first grade. He comes home happy and excited about school everyday. The school always seems to be well organized and under control. It is obvious that the principal has great leadership skills in all areas of her job. The school's ISTEP scores are exceptional. Not sure why anyone would have something negative to say about such a tremendous school.....but as you can see by the majority of the comments I read below.....Salk School is Exceptional!

Posted November 09, 2012
I have 5 children that attended Salk,3 are still there. Salk is a great institution in which all of my children feel comfortable, well cared for and highly exited about learning. The staff goes above and beyond educating the children, keeping learning new and exiting. My kids love the family oriented school events and so does the community. The turnouts are always big. All of these things stem from the Principal, Mrs. Bonin who is a caring,well connected and all around awesome pricipal. She knows most of her students by name and the children and parents love her. No one could do it better. Keep up the good work principal Bonin!!!

Jonas E Salk Elementary School 1

Posted October 24, 2012
My son and daughter attending this school for only about a months when I had to pull them out. I had serious problems with the special eduction teacher and one of the teacher helpers. Every time I discussed my concern with the teacher excuses were made. I eventually took this this situation with the principal and once again she did not handle the matter. I had to call the school board of northwest Indiana and she informed me that the best thing to do was home school my kids. I have to say that was the best decision we ever made now I no longer have to be concerned with the safety of my children. Salk Elementary made public school a very disturbing experience!

Posted August 13, 2012
The principal, Mrs. Bonin, sets a great example and tone for the rest of the faculty to follow. They expect the kids to strive to do their best, and they don't mess around when it comes to behavior and learning. However, they still allow the kids to have fun. They have the obligatory field trips, but also a good number of fun congregations and assemblies. All three of the teachers my son has had truly cared about what was best for him and the class as a whole. They have communicated well with us, and have done a good job of keeping us informed of his behavior and progress. He is starting the High Abilites program this school year, so we will see how that goes.

Jonas E Salk Elementary School
3001 West 77th Avenue, Merrillville, IN  46410
Last modified Jonas E Salk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jonas E Salk Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews.