Monrovia Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 678 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 14, 2014

The school can only be as good as its leadership and Monrovia Elementary lacks any leadership whatsoever. After the previous Principal left, lucky him, the district decided it was best to promote from within. The current Principal and Asst. Principal were both teachers at the school with no experience as administrators. They are both from the community and were hired through the "Good O Boy" system. The difference that I have seen from the previous to the current is lack of communication to the community, seems like there is no desire to get involved in the students daily activities, and only show interest if you are originally from the community. From what is going around, it seems that many of the teachers are looking for other teaching positions in other community and some are even fed up with what is happening that they are looking for new careers. The school doesn't do reg. classrooms instead they do clusters which every student has 3 different classes they go to throughout the day. They don't get the benefit of that relationship with their teacher cause they are constantly switching classes. If possible, choose a different school in the are like Eminence. Good Luck

Posted November 16, 2009

My daughter is in the 4th grade this year and absolutely loves it! We were fortunate enough to request Ms. Lynch as her teacher and it couldn't have worked out better. She has challenged our daughter on a daily basis but in a way that makes learning fun. Ms. Lynch truly has a gift and it shows through my daughter. The only thing I would change would be that she be my daughter's teacher until she graduates. As for the school, the administrators and other teachers seem to leave a positive impression on the children at the school. The school is a safe environment that promotes learning in both conventional and unique ways. I would recommend this school to anyone and if your child is in the 4th grade, try to request Ms. Lynch.

Posted July 9, 2009

I have two boys at the elementary school and my oldest has been going here for 5 years. I think the school is great, there are so many programs to join and the teachers are great. From the moment you walk in you are treated with respect. My boys love school. I have had some problems and I have addressed them to the teachers and they were handled right away. They communication is great between parents and teachers. The teachers are so nice they go above and beyond to make school fun and enjoyable for the kids. The principal and assistant principal are very hands on also. They are out to greet and get to know your children too, not just stuck behind a desk or to see when you are in trouble.

Posted April 8, 2009

I cannot even begin to say enough positive things about this school. I have two children in the school and I cannot imagine them going to a better place. I firmly believe that any organizations' success starts at the top and it certainly does here. The elementary principal and assistant principal are second to none! They constantly strive to make the school a better place and have an OUTSTANDING rapport with students and staff! I have seen numerous times when they have taken a volatile situation and calmly ended it in a positive fashion. They are in tune with every aspect of the school and work tirelessly to make new initiatives successful. I would not hesitate to give the highest recommendation to anyone considering Monrovia Elementary.

Posted May 31, 2008

We moved to the area this past year & have two kids that just finished their school year at Monrovia Elementary. Right off the bat, I could tell that the schools administration, especially the principal and asst. principal were completely oblivious to the daily operations of the school. It seemed that the teachers themselves were the ones that were in tune with the children but not the admin. I enrolled my daughters in 2nd and in 4th grades late last year. My youngest went into a typical classroom with no major/minors. But my oldest went into 4th grade and the teacher (I won't name names but she's young) she had was absolutely amazing! She made her feel welcome from the beginning & turned learning into something that my daughter enjoys now. The teachers are great but could be even better with a more competent office staff.

Posted November 30, 2007

We are new to this school district, with a fourth grader. We have been very happy with our child's transition to Monrovia. Her teacher and the teacher aids went out of their way to make her feel welcome. She loves to go to school everyday, and enjoys many after school activities. like drama club, student council, and garden club. We feel that our daughter fit right in at this school mainly because the teachers and students were extremely welcoming!! Moving can be very scary and hard on kids, but we have been so pleased with our daughter's new school. The school is also very new and has very modern facilities. Her classroom is so warm and inviting, it looks like a little home away from home. We would definately recommend this school to others.

Posted November 27, 2007

Principal communication is unsatisfactory. Does not return phone or email messages. Kindergarten 1/2 day seems to run second rate to full day. Strong emphasis on fund raising and sports. High school and Elementary ride on same bus which is concerning.

Posted June 12, 2007

I was a Special Education teacher in another state. Education was a motivating factor for whatever town we chose to raise our kids in. The principal gave a tour of the facilities and introduced us to teachers. The teachers come in before school to work with struggling students. They will work with families and students having trouble with school whether it be behavioral or academic. In our old state many of the extra classes are out but we were pleased to see them here. The elementary kids have: computers, art, music, PE, and library. They also have after school clubs such as gardening, chess, drama, young astronauts, and others. I saw others review before the new school was built. It is wonderfully done. The school has numerous volunteers including myself. I had my children in private school until this past year and was not disappointed in Monrovia in the least!

Posted March 1, 2006

As a former student at Monrovia and a current parent of 3 students. I think that they have improved the building with the new elementary school but it has made for a very difficult year. The elementary was resolved early in the year but it has been filled with uncertainity. The middle school has been the worse. Lack of communication and consist change added with the isolation of 6th grades have made this year a nightmare. This is not the teachers but the administors. Also the lack programs for excelled students and female athletes has been a huge disappointment. The 6th grade has been isolated all year and it has made the transition rough for all both acedemically and socially. Well confidence is mentioned it is not encouraged in the middle school. It has made being a parent a huge challenge and been very frustating.

Posted February 21, 2006

After 3/4 of a year in school we pulled our daughter out to be home schooled. It was the first time I ever heard my child say she didn't want to go to school. Maybe instead of pointing the finger at the under challenged child they should look at the level of teachers they employ. I just can't say enough negative stuff about this school.

Posted October 29, 2005

I'm very concerned as a parent of a child in the 4th grade at Monrovia. Since our taxes doubled I was very disappointed to find out there would be no gym teacher. With the obesity rate the way it is to have gym class cut out is ridiculous. And to have all of the children K-12 riding on the same bus is also a little disturbing. My son was in the 3rd grade last year and bullied by a 6th grader. Now he is in the 4th grade riding with high schoolers.

Posted June 5, 2005

My son was a student at Monrovia Elementary for the 04-05 school year. They do not seem too concerned for the students. They had the kids crosing Greencastle at the west end of Echo Lake. I mentioned the FIRST DAY he was in the school that I believed there were problems and would like him tested. A month before school let out I FINALLY recieved these services. When the results came in a week before school let out for the summer they revealed what I had told them from the begining. My son has learning disabilities. Over the course of one school year they turned an eager to learn young man into one who dreaded school. The change was because of how he was treated by the teacher and principal. (imagine a principal who ADMITTED his goal was to make my son fear him!) Our experience was not a good one.

Posted April 19, 2004

I recently visited the school to enroll my child in Kindergarten. I was not impressed. The classrooms are dreary. We did not meet the teachers. Our child was taken to be evaluated by 3-4 teachers she said. I would have liked to have been introduced to the teachers and they should have discussed with us the evaluation beforehand. I have absolutely no idea what the curriculum for her will be. I have no idea what a typical day for her will be. We did receive 2 handouts one of which had a sample day of Kindergarten. But, it really didn't tell me much. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this school or the teachers.

Posted April 9, 2004

I as a former student of monrovia don't like the way that the school is ran. Personally I think that surrounding schools are more understanding and not as harsh with the students as Monrovia is. Monrovia says that its a ' safe' place and that they are understanding. To me they aren't that at all. they don't understand and it isn't all as safe as they say it is. The school board takes out classes that mean something to the students. if they understood the kids and understood what they really liked they wouldn't do that to them. I'm saying as a former student I wouldn't like to see my kids go to monrovia jr sr high or the elm. schools. meaning if you aren't joined somehow to a big in the town then you are a no body and you will not make it at the school.
—Submitted by a former student

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 85% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 74% in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "D".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 2% 4%

• Mrs Melissa York
Fax number
  • (317) 996-4199

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now