128 students|Veritas Academy

Bad
Good

I have truly enjoyed watching my kid grow these past two years at Veritas. The staff knows everyone's names and seems attentive. They are a bit disorganized but getting better. I would like to see a more diverse cultural setting in their students, more extra curricular activities and some foreign language teachings. The music program is outstanding.

When almost HALF the staff is different from the start of the year 2011 to the start of the year 2012 what else is there to say? Unfortunately this school is chaos. There are some good points and our kids have had good teachers as individuals but as far as the administration goes, I will stay away. Principal doesn't return calls, some violent kids allowed to terrorize others with no changes made. At least public schools have policies and someone higher up to appeal to, not so with a charter school where ANYTHING GOES.

Veritas Academy is the best alternative to the South Bend Public schools. My daughter transferred into the 7th grade at the end of September. In SBCSC she was doing work sheet and not at grade level. Vertias is challenging and she is doing grade level work. She is using Latin to improve her test scores. She made B honor roll for the first time and feeling pride in her school work. The small class size is important and every student get additional help if needed. Their special ed department is outstanding. Each teacher takes pride in every child and teaches to each student potential. Veritas is all about the students and their academic success. Thank you to the Principal, teachers and staff for an outstanding and safe environment for our children.

All four of my children have attended Veritas since kindergarten and done very well. The small classrooms have provided individual attention to meet them where they are, and that sort of attentiveness has increased over the past year and a half. We as parents play a key role in our children's educations and put in the time and effort at school as well as home to be sure it works. Though administration has come and gone the teachers at Veritas have always kept good care of my children. They've achieved at A and B honor roll levels with the help of dedicated staff. Two have since moved on to a private high school with a very rigorous curriculum and are able, with the foundation achieved from Veritas, to continue with more than acceptable grades. There is NO perfect school and Veritas does not claim to be one. Yet, through the challenges faced the school is celebrating it's 10th year and going strong. Two very eye opening short periods in the public schools at different times helped us realize we are in the best school by choice. Thank you Veritas Staff, from Principal to classroom teachers, and special aids for giving us your everything and making it work for our children's best.

I stepped out on faith by bringing my child to Veritas. A hint and a half should have been when the Principal took half an hour to say hello as i was the only person in the common area. My child has been bullied continually and we have been pleading for months and my child was assaulted. Never got a call from the Principal and she is so unapproachable. My chlld cries almost every morning and hates going to school. I have spoken to others and im not alone. We feel powerless. Teachers pass you in the hallway and dont make efforts to say hello. my child is in elementary. If this is how the adults are treated, it speaks volumes regarding how the kids are treated. I plan to get resolve some how. To Add...its like a gloomy place and geez whose in charge? Must there be state intervention to help the students? HELP

This school used to be awesome, my children grew there the first two years they went. but the last two years were pathetic, new principal who is unapproachable she has no time to face your concerns. they got rid of half the staff what a joke they got rid of the teacher who would question any authority because they seen a lack of leadership. My children are now in a public school and I really feel we made the right decision to withdrawl them from Veritas. They have excelled leaps and bounds at there new school and they have peace getting the proper education they need. I have absolutely no concerns dropping them off for school I know they are in good hands.

There have been som rough years behind Veritas. The Board finally made some major changes that resulted in ISTEP scores going up dramatically in one year. Children receiving many extra services from remediation to performing arts. Teachers who remain are happy and want only the best for the children and the school. Change is hard - it seems more for the adults than the children. It sounds like many did not want to see Veritas succeed and are upset that it is! Good luck Veritas as you move toward a positive future.

I have to agree with the most recent comment. Change is necessary, but I believe that the wrong changes are being made. The only change noticeable is that 50% of the saff is new! I was shocked and now I'm nervous, as my child (who attended last year and knew who their teacher would be) walked into a classroom with an unfamiliar teacher. I was reluctant about sending my child to Veritas again, but had no other alternatives. Last school year was a disaster, and I hoping to see these "changes" turn Veritas into a great school!

Keep it up. Change is always difficult, but Veritas needed a change. Veritas had an 8.2% increase in Math, 15.9% increase in ELA and 12.7% increase in both Math and ELA in 2011 over its previous 2010 scores.

Last modified Veritas Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.