1-8|Private

Bad
Good

We have three children at Good Shepherd. Enrolling them is the best thing I've ever done for my children! They learn more than I can measure and even beyond the academic curriculum. The emotional and social development of my sons is impressive. The school has become an important community for me and my wife as well. We developed lovely friendships and consider the school an important faith community for our family.

Two of our children currently attend (in upper elementary) and we've just submitted enrollment forms for our third to enter first grade at GSMS. Our children love this school, and so do we. I agree with all that the previous reviewers have said. I can add that over the past two years, our children have developed passionate commitments to peacemaking, to sustainable living, and to our Catholic faith. As a trained (AMI) Montessori primary teacher, I can say that the Montessori curriculum fosters integrity, and GSMS teachers and administrators are true to the curriculum. There's genuine diversity here, within a really connected community. GSMS opens doors for families with financial aid and constant offers of assistance for the extra little expenses of supplies and field trips. Parents volunteer regularly, and it's wonderful to be in the school and see the children so self-directed, confident, and engaged in their learning. The children create academic and imaginative work that they really own and can feel proud of. They also see their place in the South Bend community as helpers, role models, contributors--good citizens! I recommend this school!

I can't imagine a better school for my child. True to the Montessori philosophy, the teachers treat my the child with authentic respect and love, allowing him to make mistakes so as to learn how to grow from the mistake. It is a child-centered environment that challenges the child in their academic studies while nurturing the child in their socialization. The children are given tools for conflict resolution and practice using the tools all the time. We have a farm that the children go to weekly. Nobody else in our area does this, and the children absolutely love it. I love it because they receive hands-on learning. The faith component is exceptional, as it is Montessori-based, guided by the child and not adult-dominated. A joyful approach to religion, not proselytizing. The spiritual component is woven throughout the school in a positive way. I feel lucky to have found this school.

Good Shepherd is a wonderful environment for all students. The staff, curriculum, and world perspectives combine to create a school that is truly enriching. The children are treated with a level of respect and honesty that is truly inspiring and they are then given chances to practice that respect in the greater community through filed trips, nursing home facilities, farms, interactions with local artists and most importantly, with each other. With their focus on education of the whole child, promotion of peace, and the continual search for meaningful interactions, we could not be happier.

This is an extraordinary school where the formation of the whole child in a loving community is the focus. There is a land-based education component which includes weekly lessons at a nearby farm. Parents are invited to participated in education nights to help them better understand what is happening in school and how to improve environments at home. I love this school.

Terrific school! Our kids love it. Progressive, faith-based Montessori with a global perspective.

Last modified Good Shepherd Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades 1-8