PK-3|Private

Bad
Good

Love this preschool/ elementary school based on Montessori method. My children each attended for at least 6 years (young preschool through 3rd grade) and got the best start for their educations. The school community is great -- families, teachers, administration. A school where what is best for the child is truly central to their mission. I like that the children not only receive academic enrichment but social and emotional enrichment as well.

I sent my fifth child to Montessori. My other children have experienced other types of preschools, from Purdue Child Development Lab School to a faith-based institution. I am an educator myself, and was interested in experimenting in Montessori. I will not be sending her back for next year. Although my child is confident and outgoing, the "unstructured" environment does not work for every child. Be sure you know if your child can manage low-level chaos and a lack of structure. I saw a lot of kids have "stress responses" in class because they were not yet capable of the self-management needed. In addition, my daughter's classroom had 24 children in it! 3 teachers, but they are very stand-off by method. That's a lot of kids. Spending over $3,000 a year for preschool makes you stop and wonder if you are getting your money's worth. The high demands on parents' time and money (in addition to tuition) is sort of surprising given the high tuition. I would recommend one of the many fine preschools in town that incorporate a "balance" between the Montessori method of free - learning and exploration and more structured learning and one-on-one time.

Outstanding school at both preschool and elementary levels. Students that benefit from the ability to go at their own pace will absolutely blossom here. Gives students a much more individually tailored (and more individually directed) experience than others. Nice community of people as well.

Really bad experience here......cult-like feel. Mean teacher, uncaring principal. They also would not give me my money back, but I would not allow my child to stay.

Their elementary school program is very nice, a diverse studeny body. Unfortunately it goes until third grade. Their pre-k is the 'best' in town, but you should understand that this is the only montessori school in town, it is a non-profit organization. So lack of competition and no 'real owner' to turn to improve teacher performance is a problem. If your kid is an easy going one, s/he will be just fine here. If your kid is not native speaker, or very active, s/he is left to her own vices, teachers do not have the caliber to deal with kids who require tad bit more creative approach. You take it or you leave it. In summary, it is a half way decent place, the reason people jump out of their pants for this school is because it is the only option in this small town.

Montessori School of Greater Lafayette presently has an elementary school from 1st through 3rd in a multi-age classroom. It has a hands-on math and science curriculum with a multi-cultural curriculum. Montessori children learn to work as a community, treat each other with respect and become confident learners and speakers. They also learn to do independent research. The Elementary at Montessori School of Greater Lafayette is in a house on the campus with an intimate and warm atmosphere where children share responsibility and a love of learning.

I've made sure my grandchildren have been able to experience MSGl from 3rd birthday on. I can't imagine a better environment for them. They are cared for as if they were family members, have developed deep friendships with students, teachers, and staff. Having taughth in the public school system for several years and now a assistant professor of education at Purdue, I believe MSGL comes as close as possible to providing the ideal educational experience for young children.

This school is amazing - our daughter is in her second year now and LOVES, LOVES, LOVES, school! We will be sending our second child to MSGL next year and can't wait to see his growth, too. This is a wonderful school with a caring staff - we have been blown away with the skills - social and academic - our child has acquired.

I moved to Lafayette in 2000, and I was pleased to find MSGL. The school is outstanding, the staff is great, and my 2 girls have been very happy there.

Both of our daughters have been attending MSGL since age 2. Their experiences have been amazing and they love going to school every day. My husband and I are amazed at their development, independence and confidence they have gained. I strongly recommend MSGL to all families with small children!

Last modified Montessori Parents Inc is a Private school that serves grades PK-3