Bad
Good

After growing up in the WDM School District in its heyday, it took a lot to admit to myself that Johnston was not the better place to send my daughter. And I loved the choice. New buildings, motivated teachers! Then we had the greatest shock of our lives... We had to move out of state. Treasure what you have here, neighbors. Feel blessed that parents come in and teach about their heritage, that the teachers take the time to know which students should work at what pace, and they allow them to work accordingly. Be THANKFUL that they have parents allowed to come in and help with kids who need a little more help with subjects they find tough. I miss being able to go in and help the 2nd grade kids work on their reading... I miss darn near everything about that school... We pay $12,000 a year now for our child to get a private school education. This week's spelling words in 4th grade, were words I know she had back in 1st grade. She studied clouds in Social Studies last week, but she already studied that in 2nd grade... There is no TAG in Private school. And now I'm going in to fight like heck to get her moved up a grade, because she is so bored in class, she falls asleep.*sigh*

We switched to Beaver Creek because it looked like it had so much to offer our gifted children. Instead, I had to pull my son out in 4 months to be homeschooled due to bullying. The administration talks a good talk, but does not enforce their no-tolerance policy. The kids have NO respect for anyone and are allowed to be this way (I watched them ridicule a visiting author to his face -- and right in front of a teacher and the superintendent -- and no one stopped them). We are not the only family who has pulled children from this school because of bullying and lack of administrative support. Also, their diversity measures need updating; we had to push for changes for our Asian daughter. They want to spread out the minority kids through the classes so more Caucasian children could experience "diversity"; we wanted her with another Asian child so she would not be the only non-white face in class. (Actually, the diversity problem is district-wide; I had to speak to the superintendent about several instances I saw in their schools.) It's a lovely facade. Be careful!

Beaver Creek has an amazing, caring staff. They also have wonderful programs to help the children in their school. My son was having such a hard time learning to read and was frustrated and ready to give up. They put him in a reading recovery program and in just a couple of weeks I watched my son's confidence boom and he is doing amazing at reading the books that are sent home. He actually wants to try. The principal is a wonderful man who greets the kids at the front door when they come in and also takes the time to read to the classrooms. He also lets the students from the reading recovery program come in to read to him! We are so grateful to have our sons in such an amazing school!

Our students consistently perform above the national and state averages on the ITBS tests. Parent involvement is very high, with excellent conference attendance and a vibrant PTO!

Last modified Beaver Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.