Olathe, KS

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 24, 2015
The teacher's are amazing! We started Kindergarten with Ms. Zeigler and just finished 4th grade with Mrs. Ryan. Can't tell you how grateful we are to have been in this school.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 24, 2015
Without a doubt this schools works with the parents to develop these in students. AND, it's not just the teachers doing this. Mr. Zach has had such an impact on the children. He is a positive, energetic person who pushes the children to want to do better!

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 24, 2015
My son was in Mrs. Ryan's 4th grade class and she instilled all of these in the students. He gets the home training for these, but it is an awesome sight to see it being done in the classroom! Loved Mrs. Ryan's teaching style and all she did for her students!!

Posted January 11, 2015
This school has been the best. We have had 2 boys come through here. We moved away for 2 years and it was horrible. Now that we are back our youngest son is right back on track. All of the teachers care about the students. Even Mr. Zach is awesome! Glad we came back to this school!

Posted December 09, 2013
My daughter came to Walnut Grove as a 5th Grader and we could not be more pleased with the staff and curriculum. It was a big change for my daughter to switch schools and she couldn't be happier. Thanks to all the staff at Walnut Grove for your hard work and dedication to your students.

Posted August 21, 2013
My child attended Walnut Grove 1st-5th grade. Every single teacher we had was amazingly good. Dedicated, caring, excellent teachers. Every single one of them. I am sad to see there are some reviews on here from some unhappy parents. I am putting this review out here to say that this is not the norm. The majority of parents at WG are very happy with the school and the teachers. The principal may not be an amazing leader but she is ok. And frankly, the teachers are SO good that they do fine with less than stellar leadership. Couldn't have been more pleased with the education my child received there. He is now in advanced classes in middle school.

Posted January 05, 2013
The teachers at walnut grove are wonderful. We have a dedicated principal that is a strong leader. I am grateful to the staff at walnut grove. We have been at WG for 6 years and I have loved all my children's teachers.

Walnut Grove Elementary School 1

Posted July 16, 2012
It's unfortunate how quickly this school has taken a nose dive in terms of teacher quality, curriculum, and dare I say it - leadership. Let me make one thing clear....ALL TEACHERS HERE ARE NOT BAD! There are FANTASTIC teachers here that obviously still believe in their craft, & that ALL children - NOT JUST THE ONES YOU FAVOR - deserve their very best!! There are also those "teachers" (using the term loosely) that shouldnt be in this school & the education field in general. Perhaps they feel a need to kiss up to their "leader" (again, using the term loosely) and make the best of the bad situation. All I can say is that my child will NOT return to this school next year...I'm selling my home to get my kids out of this school. Shame....once upon the time (the Brewer era), this was a great place for all children to receive an education and the nuturing that children need to thrive in school. There's favoritism, prejudice (yes, I said it) and everything else going on in this school EXCEPT quality education. Again, this is only reserved for a precious few children. I wonder if the Olathe School Board is aware of the overall decline of this "Blue Ribbon" School (LOLOLOL!)

Walnut Grove Elementary School 3

Posted August 10, 2011
I think the majority of the teachers here are great. I think the principal is lacking, she is unresponsive and unapproachable. I have thought about transferring my child out of this school. We definitely miss the old principal!

Walnut Grove Elementary School 3

Posted February 22, 2010
We have been at WG for the last 5 years and have seen many changes over the last two years. Outside of initial unique situations, our experiences with teachers and principal at WG were great -- on-target with meeting academic and social goals. That has slipped steadily over the last two years, coinciding with changeover in principal & some teachers (incl. class reassign). Right now I see children not progressing, gaps increasing, and instead issues being excused rather than adequately addressed in classrooms. One situation where our child's needs were not being met (academic), when addressed, we were told the options were no longer in place due to district cutbacks/reassign (excuse?), yet those resources were still available at other in-district schools. This leads me to wonder if principal and teachers are truly going to bat for all students @ WG. There may be an open-door policy, but accountability goes 2 ways.

11800 South Pflumm Rd, Olathe, KS  66062
Last modified Walnut Grove Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Walnut Grove Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top