Posted October 21, 2011
I graduated from SME in 1988 and was a coach there later in life for 7 years. SME challenged me and allowed me to quiz out of calculus in college. My physics class was better than the one I had in college. The school continues to produce great kids that are ready to take on the world.

Shawnee Mission East High School 0

Posted October 06, 2010
awesome school - awesome kids - awesome teachers

Shawnee Mission East High School 3

Posted September 29, 2010
SME gets a 3 star rating because of it's academics, the rest is a 1. I've read reviews of transplants who agree the academics are good, but that the culture is repulsive. I've also read reviews of parents and former students who "love" SME in every way. I'm a former student who agrees with transplants. Before 25 I used to think SME was a primo school. With age I've realized there's more to life than materialism and high profile jobs. If you want your kid to grow up and be a robotic culture-eating snob then SME is great. If you want your child to have some diversity any of other Shawnee Mission high schools will provide, giving the same outstanding education that the SMSD is known for. If you're moving here your kid better be a super star or he/she won't be accepted into the SME culture.

Posted February 03, 2010

Posted May 06, 2009

Shawnee Mission East High School 1

Posted November 19, 2008

Shawnee Mission East High School 3

Posted September 18, 2008
We have one daughter that graduated from SME and two that graduated from SMN; after comparing, we believe that SMN is our 1st choice; SME has an excellent staff and academic curriculum with extracurrical activities; the differences were that our daughter at SMD did not get a lot of diverse friendships due to the amount of wealth in the district and the lack of cultural diversity; with a more diverse population concerning culture and wealth, comparing the two, we feel the outcome was best for our two daughters at SMN; SME was not as proactive with trying to get student involvement in outside activities nor were they as innovative with their academic curriculum to encourage enthusiasm and excitement in the classroom and outside the class for extracurricular activities; our 2 at SMN were drawn into more activities, had more friendships and excelled more in the academics.

Posted February 04, 2007
There really is no downside to SME. Just look at what it has to offer. The basketball team is 12-1, the swim team is looking to make it a three-peat state championship, and every other sport is decent. The debate team has won over ten state championships, the choir is one of the best in the region, as is the orchestra, and the jazz band is top ten in the country. Acamically, it is the best in the area, and one of the largest student-wise, making for a great overall atmosphere. There is no denying that there is little ethnic diversity, but economically there certainly is. There really is not a thing a student could like that they couldn't do at East. It really is incredible the greatness of this school.

Posted December 22, 2006
- a former student
I'm a Shawnee Mission East '05 grad. In talking with peers who attended public schools throughout KC and the nation, I feel that the education I got at East was absolutely amazing. I took advantage of the AP program, which was engaging and challenging for me, and I feel prepared me well for a rigorous pre-med college curriculum. There are also a lot of extracurricular opportunities. The only thing I don't like about East is the sense of entitlement that most students seem to have, probably because it is an overall very wealthy school.

Posted September 23, 2006
i got to Shawnee Mission East right now and I really really love it there. even though the school is known for being the wealthiest school in the state of kansas it is good for all of us. we get so many more oppurtunities. in just my first month of freshmen year i was in cross country, choir, stuco, and the share program. the choir is the best high school in the country. this last spring break we went to ireland and sang is st. patrick's cathedral on st. patricks day. they were on international tv and have been selected to be in very many honroable events. even though SM East is the wealthiest school in johnson county, the third wealthiest county in the nation, the school is incredible and i have had the most fun going to school going there. i'm proud to be a lancer

Shawnee Mission East High School
7500 Mission Rd, Shawnee Mission, KS  66208
Last modified Shawnee Mission East High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shawnee Mission East High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.