Posted June 28, 2014
While no school is perfect, Elkhorn Middle School strives to be the best it can be. Opportunities abound for students at EMS. Many of the reviews here are several years old. I believe that if the same people were to come back and see the school now, the would review it differently. The teachers at EMS are always working to try new things to reach each and every student.

Posted April 28, 2014
Im a student and I love it here. The teachers actually care about you. Im extremely smart and they knew it. They knew what im capable of. Thank you!

Elkhorn Middle School 4

Posted October 27, 2013
My school is working toward a positive learning environment. I educate there and others I work with are interested in the best possible outcome for our students. Teachers know and respect the fact that we can always get better and better. We feel the same about our students. Students need accountability and they too, can get better and better. Most educators are intrinsically motivated. so when our students achieve, we are truly happy and will work harder for more gains. Two things come to mind for improvement. EMS communication to the community and the community assisting more with the achievement of our children. It will take us all working together- Partners for our future. Thanks to each and every parent/family member/guardian who assists at this time.

Elkhorn Middle School 4

Posted May 11, 2012
I am a student at this school, and I am overall okay with it. My only problem is that sports are emphasized as more important than academics or other extracurricular activities. I made it to State in Academic team and I got a poster. ONE POSTER. The girls basketball team, even though I know they deserved it (They're GREAT), got so many pep rallies. I got a lead role in the High School's musical and I got no recognition. I just want it to be fair for everyone. But over all, it;s very good.

Elkhorn Middle School 1

Posted May 09, 2012
I am so disheartened with this school that I am having trouble putting it into words. I am a big supporter of the public school system, which is one of the reasons I find it difficult to write this negative review. In her two years there, my daughter has watched cartoons in her classes instead of working on content, been intimindated by a band teacher, had to work around unrealistic rules that discourages children from using the school library, and most notably, dealt with a very unreasonable teacher. She lost 20% of her math grade because she did not write her name on the paper. That is a behaviorial issue, and is not supposed to count as a grade. She lost 10 points off another assignment because she did not write her last name on her paper. This same teacher lost one of her assignements. Although the Superintendent agrees with me, the principal stands ups for the teachers on every issue without fail. I cannot in good conscious rate this school higher than 1-star. This is, by far, the worst school my daughter has ever attended. My wife and I had been told this was a "bad school" beforehand. It was our fault for not heeding the warnings.

Posted February 02, 2012
Excellent school with many offerings for extracurricular activities. Very strong athletic programs as well as academic and choral/drama programs. Office staff is very helpful. Teachers have been great at working with kids even meeting them before and after school if needed. Very good school!

Posted November 06, 2011
I was shocked to see this school with a "2" rating, until I noticed the most recent test scores listed were from 2009. We are in the middle of our third year at this school and have nothing but praises for the administration and staff. The discipline code is excellent and I appreciate the exercises in goal setting and good study habits that the students are required to complete. The school has had tremendous success with their boys & girls basketball programs, cross country teams, choral and band departments and news media team, as well as many other offerings in which Elkhorn students may choose to participate. There is currently a great sense of student pride at Elkhorn and I believe that this website is inaccurate with its review of this school. I also question the validity of all the school ratings based on their lack of updated information. I was asked about signing up for a monthly newsletter and phone app, but don't see the point when the information is three years old!

Posted January 22, 2009
Elkhorn Middle School is now a great school b/c are school has a new discipline at Elkhorn Middle School we now have cameras in are school now and new staff members at are school now are safety is now better than what it used to be last year. I love Elkhorn Middle School now b/c we have better discipline and safety than we did last year and that are school has cameras now so heres my rating so have a nice day..

Posted January 20, 2009
Reviews are only as strong and objective as the persons who write them. Our data shows that 89% of our students have not had one office write up. Accountibility on both leadership and students brought the school into a hardship in the area of dicipline. The school has now adopted the KYCID (Kentucky Center for Dicipline) and only works with data to drive the changes in our system. We have 80% buy in from teachers, more support from the community and appropriate student behavior and accountibilty are rewarded. I am national board certified and would not desire to teach anywhere else. The children I teach are diamonds in the rough awaiting just the shine........That shine is up to teachers to produce and up to the community to admire.

Elkhorn Middle School 1

Posted January 12, 2008

Elkhorn Middle School
1060 East Main St, Frankfort, KY  40601
Last modified Elkhorn Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elkhorn Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top