No rating

Lexington Montessori School

Private | PK-6 | 85 students

Living in Lexington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $120,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $540.

Posted January 28, 2014

Welcoming staff, inviting teachers, quality education. I had no idea what to expect when I enrolled my child in this little school. He started at two and a half in the primary program and is in his third year. One of the teachers has been there over 20 years, and she is amazing! I have consistently been surprised by the knowledge of my child. He started reading at 3, he knew the entire US map, he just turned 5 and can tell me the capitol cities of all states and proficiently reads. Not only academic skills are taught, but life skills as well. He sets the lunch table, washes his placemat for lunch, and washes his hands upon entering school and before eating. I have found the parents to be engaged and respectful. My child is not sick all of the time; the teachers are attentive. The school is very diverse and the families respect each other. I was a little hesitant not sending him to a Christian school, but it has been eye opening to see him surrounded by various ethnicities and backgrounds since this is what life is all about anyway. If you are looking for a flashy school, this is not for you, but this is why we love it. It's real. Children flourish here.

Posted October 14, 2013

My son just started this August and absolutely loves school! His teachers are very kind, patient and truly care about the kids. Ms. Morris & Ms. Michaels are wonderful teachers. I highly recommend this school. It is smaller and you feel like your child is really getting the attention and help they deserve.

Posted August 6, 2013

I have two children at Lexington Montessori School and they've both excelled. They were both reading in pre-school and my son was working on algebra in 2nd grade. The teachers are able to use the Montessori methods to bring out the potential of the children. They often will have something to tell me about my child's day and will be the first to notice if they might be sick. They just know my child so well that they know how they normally behave. The teachers are also available for conferences if I have a problem. The school also has an art teacher that has her own art gallery "MainCross" at Victorian Square in downtown and teaches art at UK. She does the most amazing things with the children. My son has learned so much from her that he can tell you about a painting that we might see. She teaches the kids some of the same art that she teaches her college students! This school also is very small with about 65 kids in the entire school. The ratios are very low and the kids get one on one attention with the teachers. It is a wonderful school that starts with kids as young as 2 1/2 yrs. old (they must be potty trained) and goes up through 6th grade. You should call them today!

Posted April 29, 2013

LMS is an incredible school! We were there for about 4 years through our son's kindergarten year. Though it's quite small, it has a 30+ year history and positive reputation around Lexington, KY. The families are loving and are very involved. Everyone made us feel so welcomed! Lots of international and multi-ethical families which we loved! Many of the teachers I think have been there for 10+ years. We loved our son's teachers! One of them was young and energetic. She was incredibly knowledgable about Montessori. Our son still talks about her. The other teacher has been at the school since it opened and she had lots of experience with chasing little boys around. Our son loved both of them and even though he was a handful they both treated him with such kindness and respect. Our son was well prepared for first grade in public school (he's advanced in math and reading but needed help in handwriting). Overall, a great school!

Posted April 22, 2013

I was an LMS student and now I am an LMS parent of one primary student and another on the way next school year. My sisters and I have such wonderful memories of our time at LMS. The teachers and staff are second to none with a wealth of experience and a genuine love for the students. They are welcoming of parental involvement and encourage open communication. I am amazed at what comes home from the world, continent and US maps handmade by my daughter at age two to her reading skills at age three, I am grateful every day I drop her off at school knowing she is experiencing a truly unique environment that allows her to grow in unexpected ways and always with a smile on her face. I can t imagine my children anywhere else!

Posted April 19, 2013

Lexington Montessori School is a wonderful, nurturing school. The teachers are committed to the Montessori philosophy and provide a high quality education. The school's emphasis on art, music and Spanish sets it apart from other Montessori schools in Lexington. Highly recommended.

Posted December 17, 2012

My son is in his second year in a primary class at LMS. I couldn't be happier. First of all, the Montessori method makes so much sense and I am particularly pleased at the conceptual foundation he has learned in mathematics and language. The teachers are warm, supportive, and communicative. Each teacher and staff member seems genuinely happy to be there every day. The school encourages and has high parental involvement. The school is small, which some may view as a disadvantage, but I have found the small size (particularly with a younger child) has given the school a family-friendly and close environment. In addition, the Montessori method is supplemented with weekly Spanish and music lessons. Furthermore, the extended day program is very good. I love this school!!!!

Posted September 17, 2009

We've had our two sons at LMS for several years, and are very pleased. We attribute our sons' advancement to the montessori program, the small size of the school which allows for individual attention, and the nurturing staff. The school encourages parental involvement. I stop by occasionally to eat lunch with my children, and I feel very comfortable in doing so. In addition to the traditional subjects studied, LMS has a excellent art and Spanish programs. The students get to participate in a PE program in which they go on field trips (swimming, gymnastics, dancing, etc.). The children also participate in plays, and several school programs through the year.

Posted June 22, 2007

We have had at least one child at LMS every year for the past 16 (and we have more than a few left to go, with a 20-month-old at home). We honestly love the school; the small size allows for individual attention and also encourages the families to get to know each other. During the time we've been there, we've seen teachers and families come and go, but the consistent feature of the school is that the teachers are wonderful and the families are involved. The art, music and Spanish programs are great and really add to the traditional areas of study. Three of my children have been through LMS and are at other schools now, but they have each taken with them a sincere love of learning that was fostered by their experiences at Lexington Montessori. We can't say enough good things about this school (see www.lexkymontessori.org for more details).

Posted October 16, 2006

LMS is an awesome school. My son has attended for almost one full year now and has thrived in this school. His reading dramatically went up only after 3 months; he is learning at a much quicker pace. The best part though is I no longer hear Mom do I have a day off tomorrow. He loves going to LMS and loves to learn.

Posted August 17, 2006

We love LMS! Our daughter has attended for two years and is really thriving. Summer is almost over and just last night she told me she couldn't wait to go back to school - not just because she misses her friends but because as she said, 'I love learning.' LMS must be doing something right.

Posted March 8, 2006

My son has been enrolled in the LMS primary program for almost a year now. The faculty is very open and inviting. They have been flexible with our schedules and have bent over backwards to accomodate us. Their academic program is very solid, and the student to teacher ratio gives him lots of attention where necessary. Unlike some Montessori schools, the teachers allow you to observe any time. I feel this is the right place for our child where he is receiving both a good social and academic learning.

Posted March 8, 2006

Absolutely fantastic school. The teachers are always there for care & support. I've always experienced open communication & wonderful feedback to how my son is progressing in his work. My son loves learning & is advancing faster than I hoped because of their excellent instruction & one-on-one help for him! 'Love the school!

Posted January 30, 2006

My son has attending LMS for a year and a half. I cannot tell you how happy my son, my husband and I are with our experiences! My son has some special issues and the teachers have been absolutely wonderful! They have been so accomodating and caring! The environment is relaxed and comforting. The art program is superior. My son is learning about many artists and various types of art. The art gallery downtown at the end of the year is amazing! The P.E. program is great! The have gone to dancing lessons, swimming, gymnastics, Tae Kwon Do and much more. The opportunity for parent involvement is extensive. Parents help in the classroom, go on field trips. attend P.E. sessions, share special talents or knowledge with the children,send in snacks and treats and more. I feel welcome there anytime. LMS is the perfect place for our son!

Posted December 1, 2005

Deceptively open and casual at first, this school is a mockery of a Montessori. They keep you out of the loop, were biased under the guise of being 'discriminating', uncompromising and uncooperative. They have a much greater interest in fundraising then they do in fosting a child's individualism. Our child's classmates' families were rude and unwelcoming. My child described the school as 'hateful' and I have to agree. Be prepared to write lots of checks without knowing anything about your child's progress. The 'campus' is a joke - a medium size brick building on a quiet street with no parking, the 'playground' is smaller then a bank parking lot with one swingset. Lexington Montessori had absolutely nothing to offer us and we removed our child from their institutions once their warm and friendly facade disappeared. If they could offer negative stars, Lexington Montessori has earned them!

Posted January 27, 2005

My son has attended the LMS preschool program for two years and we love it. The teachers are caring and communicate well with parents. It is montessori with a mix of traditional (daily lessons in Math and Language and circle time). The staff is warm and friendly. The materials encourage the understanding of concepts and applications of learning, not just rote work. Even though the school is small, the student population is very ethnically diverse. Our experiences thus far allow me to highly recommend this school.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 1%

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

319 South Broadway Park