Evangel Christian School

Private | 1-12 | 216 students

Living in Louisville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $600.

Sweep tile

Posted February 27, 2014

I used to go to Evangel and i personally think that this school is the worst school anyone could ever go to, there is no respect. The kids are all out of control, everyone is so hateful. Christian? I would say only the administration.

Posted February 27, 2014

I really enjoy Evangel Christian School. The student and faculty are a close-knit group and help create a family environment. I am so thankful for the chapel services, where the anointing flows and lives are changed. I also love the bible leader classes that instill godly morals into the students and provoke theological discussions. The school uniform is appropriate and decent in style. The parents and faculty are kind and helpful. There are several problems though. There is sometimes dissension between Evangel students and gossiping is a common problem. The sports programs have been lacking recently, due to scheduling problems, few interested or dedicated players, and uncoordinated seasons. The education is average, and students are not motivated in achieving their goals or completing assignments. Also, there is a big problem with disrespectful students, who blatantly put other students down and defy the teachers' authority. This school has its downsides, but I am so thankful for this school. The missions program is incredible and the performing arts program is phenomenal. I just pray that revival happens in Evangel Christian School. I'm thankful for all that God is going to do.

Posted August 27, 2013

I evangel is awesome my children get the word taught to them.They learned the bible so they can live right daily.

Posted July 12, 2009

My children attended Evangel for elementary and high school. I found Evangel to provide exceptional quality in spiritual emphasis, and traditional academics. My children were also active in sports, mission trips, and other organizations that provided them with activities to further enhance their lives. My children were very successful in college after attending Evangel. Thank God for this outstanding school.

Posted October 8, 2008

My children were at Evangel for much of their elementary/middle and high school years. Evangel was one of the greatest experiences for my children as it gave them good academic preparation for college, provided them with exccellent role models, gave them a good group of school peers with great integrity and character, and gave them a spiritual foundation that now affects them greatly as adults. Hats off to Evangel Christian School. Money could not pay for the benefits my chiildren have received from attending this outstanding school.

Posted May 24, 2008

My son loves Evangel, and so do I. My son is very active in sports, gets along with everyone and we love it.

Posted February 27, 2007

There are too many clic's that are just hateful and evil to others. This is supposed to be a christain school. You have teachers that bully students and if parents step in,it's only worse on the child. Policies of displine and punishment exist where they shouldn't and don't exist where they should.This school is in deep with politics, it only matters who your parents are and how much money they have and give. If you have enough money, you run the school. The school is running the true christain kids out, the students who do want to be someone and contribute positively to society. Dr.Hoagland was once very much respected and now needs to find the person who really cared and lisented to everyone, in himself again or if not step down, if he nolonger cares.where there was love for the school now ther is only disappointment.This is my opion.

Posted August 2, 2006

evangel is a great school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 16, 2006

As a former student, Roger Hoagland was my principal for my senior year and is the backbone of the school's success. The school improved greatly over the previous year under his leadership. When I attended, there was a severe lack in math and science programs. Teacher quality was not good in those areas. Extracurricular activities were geared toward either basketball, cheerleading or choir/drama. College prepratation needed drastic improvement. My math skills were beyond poor. I called my local college and asked what hours the school day was. That was how unprepared I was for college life academically and socially. The area of discipline needs improvement as well. Wearing uniforms does not solve all discipline problems. Overall the school is middle of the road. If the areas of discipline, math and science was address the school could really excell.

Posted June 8, 2006

i found it a great school, attended 5+ years under the leaderhip of Dr. Hoagland. i felt extremely prepared for university in fact it seemed much easier than highschool academic wise. Honestly...as always it is up to kids to really push, and the responsibility for the push is usually related to the parents as much as the school. ((not that the kid can escape responsibility either))

Posted March 2, 2006

I have two girls one of which went K-12 at Evangel. The grade school grades were absolutely wonderful there. There was some tendency toward social clickishness in upper grades but I'm not sure if it is more then elsewhere or not. I'm an engineer by profession and their Math and Science in the high school was terrible. My daughter was, fortunately for her, not going into that dicipline and was very well prepared otherwise making nearly straight 'A's in a private college. The music was terrific at the time which is what she has studied in college. The science problem, and Mr. Hoagland leaving half way through her senior year made us decide to move to Oldham County for my younger daughters education. I hope he can get it turned around again.

Posted September 13, 2005

I am also a graduate of Evangel and am now sending my daughter to Evangel. Yes all school are going to be socially competitive, that is human nature and unfortunately some kids let social competition get in the way of academic competition. Being at Evangel for 12 years I saw both aspects of it. I totally agree with the other parent that said Roger Hoagland is a big part of this school, and was so hyped when he came back this year! After having him as my principal most of my years at Evangel, and then being without him for my daughters first two years, I saw a huge difference and was contemplating taking my child out in the next year or so. Now I'm going to find a way to make sure all three of my kids can go back and have fun like I did at that school!

Posted August 12, 2005

With my husband's profession, we had the opportunity to view many different schools nationwide. All of our children attended Evangel with two graduating from there. I cant speak highly enough about the school. My kids all went on to college, well prepared and much further ahead academically than most of their peers. In fact, each of my children had no problem maintaining a 3.0 or above both in private colleges or state universities. The highlight of the school however, lies with Roger Hoagland and his staff. All of the administration poured their hearts out for the students not only giving them the academic edge, but more importantly, a love and desire to serve God. The mission trips were outstanding and life changing, thanks to Mr. Hoagland. The Nurse's Aid program, the Choir class, and other electives were outstanding. The sports program was fun, competitive, and overall a wonderful experience. Thank you Evangel.

Posted August 3, 2005

I am thrilled with Evangel Christian School. My children have all graduated from Evangel and each spent at least 12 years there. The Christian environment was wonderful, discipline great, Christian emphasis, excellent, and they were well-prepared for college. Two of my children have now graduated from college and did very well. Evangel, I applaud you for an outstanding job in education.

Posted July 11, 2005

I've read the other reviews and am disappointed that others have not responded. I attended Evangel for twelve years and I believe it is a wonderful school. Every school has it's problems, but Evangel is full of great memories for me. Roger Hoagland was my principal for the majority of these years and I do not think there could ever be a better principal out there. He truly cared about the students and really took part. The mission trips had the biggest impact on me as well as the sports. Even though we didn't have a winning record, it was fun. Academically I feel it prepared me for college. As far as parent involvement, that is up to the parent. I believe Evangel is a wonderful school and if I were still in state, I would send my little girl there.

Posted October 6, 2004

I attended this school for 8 years. I felt like the student environment was highly competitive in a social manner but not academically. I was not aware how much I suffered academically until I attended college and realized that in the areas of math and science, I was so far behind the others that I struggled to stay motivated. I hope that my Alma Mater improves and other students who follow in my footsteps do not experience the lack of quality in education that I encountered.

Posted August 10, 2004

My son went to evangel, and I will never send any of my kids there ever again. I don't feel the academic performance meets the standards I hold for my children. I also don't like the hateful environment between the students. The students have no respect for the teachers or administration.

Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 3% N/A
Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Swimming pool
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Tutor(s)

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5400 Minors Ln