Smyrna Elementary School 2

Posted September 27, 2014
Too many of the teachers and staff shout at the students and are unpleasant to interact with. Recess is not a daily priority, weather permitting. Curriculum is unsatisfactory and I am very concerned about the ability of the school to educate my child.

Posted July 27, 2014
My child has learned very little at Smyrna. The class that he was in for 2nd grade was completely out of control it was as if the children had taken over. The teacher my child had for 1st grade was not only strict she was down right mean to the children. The 2nd grade teacher did not check the homework packets AT ALL, she told me this herself. How would you know if the children are retaining the material if you don't check their homework?! I felt like I ended up having to teach my child everything myself.

Smyrna Elementary School 3

Posted April 14, 2014
I have mixed opinions regarding Smyrna. My child is just about to complete his Kindergarten year and I feel has learned very little from school. However, the bulk of what is taught in K, he went in knowing already. I was disappointed that he was not challenged individually but in defense of the teacher, I feel she has other more pressing concerns. Her class too large in my opinion (25 children), many entered K not even knowing letters, and there are several students in her class that should be placed in alternative classes for behavioral problems. She is a very kind and nurturing teacher and her patience is much greater than mine would be in a similar situation. I have not interacted much with the current principal, Dr. Stith, however have been very pleased with the AP Mr. Montgomery. Overall I feel that the teachers and administrators I have encountered are great people that believe in what they are doing every day. They encourage parental involvement and welcome parents into the building. But I also believe that if your child is ahead you should not expect them to excel or on the opposite, if you child needs additional assistance that may not happen. Classes are just too big.

Smyrna Elementary School 5

Posted May 31, 2012
I Love This School my Grand Children went here and I was SOOOO Happy Great Office staff and Teachers. My Grand children Were Very HAPPY and so was I Great School

Smyrna Elementary School 4

Posted May 30, 2012
I have 2 daughter that attend Smyrna.. one has been there 4 years and i have NEVER had a major problem at all. She had Ms Putt will go to the ends of the world to make sure each child is their own person. Ms Forte (1st grade) very strict at least 1 hour of home work each night with 20 spelling works each week. Ms Burton (2nd grade) She did well in her class, the spelling works was 30 a bit much for my daughter so after talking with her, she reduced hers to 20 then as she made imporvment she would add 1 or 2. Ms Griffin (3rd grade) I have wanted to pull my hair out each day with this lady... the only reason i ut my daughter in her class was that there are 5 3rd graders that are on our street and didnt want her to be with "friends" all day getting into trouble... i wish i would have had her stay where she was at... if a parent forget to sign the agenda the childs grade is reflected for homework... i am so so glad this year is over :) my other daughter has Ms Morgan she is WONDERFUL her assistance Ms Robin is very soft spoken to the kids they all adore them both.... I am GLAD they have a NEW principle so only time will tell how things will work out with her.....

Posted November 17, 2010
MY SON WENT FROM GOOD GRADES TO FAILING GOING TO 3RD GRADE IN MS. DUFFYS CLASS THIS YEAR, SHE IS RUDE WITH BOTH THE STUDENTS AND THE PARENTS, I HAVE SPOKEN WITH OTHER PAERENTS IN HER CLASS AND THEY ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES, SEVERAL HAVE SPOKEN WITH THE PRINCIPAL (MRS.COMPTON) ABOUT THIS, AND SHE INSIST THAT MY SON IS IMMATURE, THOUGH HES NEVER GOTTEN A COLOR CHANGE, NOTE HOME, NOTHING, NOR DOES SHE KNOW OF HIM RIGHT OFF HAND. SHE SUGGEST I HAVE HIM PLACED IN A ADVANCED 2ND/LOWER 3RD GRADE CLASS MIX. HE'S NEVER HAD BAD GRADES IN THE PAST, AND IS AFRAID TO ASK HIS TEACHER QUESTIONS BECAUSE SHE IS PLAIN OUT RUDE. I ASKED TO SIT IN THE CLASSROOM FOR ONE DAY TO GIVE HER THE BENIFIT OF DOUBT, BUT THEY DONT WANT ME TO DO THAT. IM AFRAID IM GOING TO HAVE TO REMOVE THEM FROM THIS SCHOOL ,AS NO ONE WILL WORK WITH THE PARENTS! i DONT RECCOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE, WE ALL WANT ARE CHILDREN TO SUCEED, HOWEVER I FEEL THEIR SET UP FOR FAILURE WITH THIS SCHOOL AND IT'S TEACHERS. tHERES NO ONE TO COMMUNICATE WITH, THE PRINCIPAL DOES NOT LISTEN. OTHER PARENTS ARE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE.

Smyrna Elementary School 4

Smyrna Elementary School 5

Posted March 13, 2009

Smyrna Elementary School
6401 Outer Loop, Louisville, KY  40228
Last modified Smyrna Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smyrna Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top